Vectrix VX1 - Scooter

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
It is a 2007 model that has only covered 1242 miles from new. I bought it from a Vectrix dealer who used it travel around his gated holiday estate.

This is in absolute joy to ride, especially with the twist regen on the throttle.

I have upgraded the software to Lairds version which has numerous advantage. All works as it should, with approx 25-30 miles range.

Top speed is 70mph (limited to that by the software)

I have charged each cell group individually and tracked cell voltages on a spreadsheet, each cell has had a load test to confirm it is in good working order.

There are a few marks to the bodywork.

11 months MOT
Free Tax!
Insurance was £114 Fully Comp

New Michellin City Grip rear tyr fitted last month

£1750

I do have a trailer, if petrol is paid for, I could potentially deliver.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
what battery does it use? and what do you use to track?

25-30 miles distance seems very low... what is the battery space size if i want to change battery?

D

Deleted member 4366

You know you need a motorcycle licence to ride it, Cwah?

thirteen

Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
West Sussex
The Vectrix is classed as an A1 vehicle so can be ridden on a CBT by anyone over 17 with a provisional licence.

They were around £7k new if memory serves me correctly, but Vectrix have sadly folded now .

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
So no need to have a motorbike license to ride it?

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Yes, but the CBT test costs about £100 and only lasts two years, or it has to be taken again if you don't follow it up with the motorbike theory test and then part one and two practical tests, (and pass them).

It looks a very attractive bike to old car driving geezers like me, but UK law leaves it in an awkward position of not being a 30mph moped, so it can't be ridden without CBT and L plates by car license holders that passed their test before Feb 2001.

Whereas in the UK 50cc 30 mph max petrol "mopeds" and many "scooters" can be ridden on a car license indefinitely, and most of those can do 50mph, unofficially.....

Last edited:
Reactions: cwah

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
There is a longer range version that gets 100km. In France it is considered in the same category as a 125cc bike so if you have your car licence for over 2 years you can ride it. If you haven't been insured for a 125cc bike before 2011 you have to pass a certificate thingy.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Cwah, this seems like the fast, not easily stealable, more waterproof solution you've been looking for that can take a passenger.

100 quid for CBT is nothing compared to your various ebike purchases I'd have thought ?

With your skills I'm sure you could replace the battery when needed or upgrade for greater range

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I found the Vectrix great to ride and infinitely better than any nominally 30 mph petrol moped, but the killer was the £7000 price tag. At the time a number of good small cars could be bought for that and even much less. Faced with minimal sales they dropped it to £6000 for the last year but that still didn't result in the necessary sales, so they folded.

Sad that such a good design couldn't succeed, but illustrating once again that independently power sourced e-vehicles are simply not viable in the market, given battery limitations and costs.

And to avoid anyone contradicting, e-bikes are not e-vehicles, they are e-assisted vehicles.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Cwah, this seems like the fast, not easily stealable, more waterproof solution you've been looking for that can take a passenger.

100 quid for CBT is nothing compared to your various ebike purchases I'd have thought ?

With your skills I'm sure you could replace the battery when needed or upgrade for greater range

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
I'm afraid that passenger carrying is not permitted under just the CBT.

You would need a full motorcycle license pass to carry one legally.

http://www.passmasters.co.uk/cbt

I went through all this about three years ago, when I fancied a 125cc scooter.

Even though I've been driving a car here in the UK for 45 years, I needed to take the full EU "enhanced" motor cycle test. This entailed the one day CBT course/test at £100 (with my own bike), then the theory test, which I passed OK, then the two practical tests.

I failed it twice, on the 50kmh swerve tests with the MOT testing station compound, mostly because I'm a fat bloke at 15 stone and the 125cc motorbike couldn't accelerate fast enough between the 180 degree turn and the radar speed test at the swerve point.

It's a subject that was well thrashed out on motorcycling forums at the time, with many learner riders crashing and sustaining injuries while accelerating on the 180 degree bend to get up to the mandatory 50kmh.

I finally gave up after about £500 and when the 2 year CBT expired, meaning I would have had to start all over again from the beginning. :(

If only I'd taken the motorbike test back in the 1960's on my raleigh moped, where the examiner watched from the pavement, and the pass was then valid for any size motorbike......

Reactions: KirstinS
D

Deleted member 4366

That's only to get started. He needs to also pay or the theory test/s and practical test/s, plus the insurance and helmet.

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
£100 for CBT
£50 helmet, I possibly have a spare.
£114 insurance (that's what I paid)

You can do an A1 test after on the Vectrix after if you wanted so you can continue to ride this without L plates.

The test is £20 in a DVLA off road test centre, it's easy.

Replacement batteries come in the form of the LEAF cell conversion. 90 miles range, simple and professional looking conversion.

D

Deleted member 4366

Are you sure about that, Sacko? You have to pass the theory test first before you can take an A1 test. The A1 test has two modules. Module 1 (off-road) costs £15.50 and module 2 (on road) costs £75. If you fail, you have to pay again. I doubt that you could pass without doing a training course first. The training course providers usually make sure you pass. They can take you from novice to A1 for about £500. The theory test costs £23 for each attempt. from October.

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
Yes, quite right, the way with most chance of success for a quick pass is via a "package deal" with a motorcycle training course provider, because they can supply the most suitable bikes for the test, (125cc, and with enough acceleration to meet the swerve criteria).

If you're going to that expense though, it's then best to go for the full motorcycle test rather than the A1 "lightweight test", so that you then have a license to ride any bike, rather than just up to 125cc, because it's the same number of tests and it costs the same.

The law in this area has become very convoluted and impractical.

Such as the problem of wanting to own and learn to ride on a Honda 90cc Cub. It needs an A1 or full license, and yet it is of insufficient capacity to take the test on, (needing between 120 and 125cc).

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
it was just a question anyway... for now there is no way I can have any moped because I live in a flat and will need to leave the scooter outdoor overnight.

Lots of chance it disappear or get damaged when I wake up. If I remember correctly, someone even nicked my bike lock!

Sacko

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2011
Bump before listing on Fleabay.