velomini 3 troubleshooting help please

yumseyo

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2019
Hi All !

I have a velomini 3 ebike that works fine for about 10 minutes, then shuts down. I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then it would power back up but the indicator lights go dim or off under a load. I have 28.4 volts after charging over night and confirmed that I have 29.3 volts from the charger. Battery problem? If so, can anyone advise if I can run a higher voltage battery (36 volt) on this 180 watt motor?

Thanks in advance !!

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
All the hallmarks of a failing dead battery there (dead cell string or two)

can you measure voltage straight after the system dies please ? I'd anticipate a voltage below the low voltage cut off which rises but then dies again as a load causes the dying cell string voltage to crash once .ore

yumseyo

Jul 9, 2019

can you measure voltage straight after the system dies please ? I'd anticipate a voltage below the low voltage cut off which rises but then dies again as a load causes the dying cell string voltage to crash once .ore
Yup, that's what I was thinking too. I have to run it down again and measure the voltage. What is your experience with installing a larger battery like 36 volts. I will attach a 50 second youtube video so you can see where the battery is. I was just going to get an external battery and mount it somewhere else on the bike instead of inside the frame..

velomini battery removal

yumseyo

Jul 9, 2019

Thank you So much for your reply...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Running a 36v battery on a 24v system might work, though first of all you need to check the controller internal capacitors to see that they can cope. 8s should work giving a bit more pep, all will depend on the capacitor voltage written on them.

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
No issues with an external battery at all

However there are risks at running the system at 36v. Namely you may either blow the controller rather quickly or melt the motor (usually the nylon reduction gears specifically)

a 180w motor makes me think don't do it And buy a replacement 24v battery

yumseyo

Jul 9, 2019
No issues with an external battery at all

However there are risks at running the system at 36v. Namely you may either blow the controller rather quickly or melt the motor (usually the nylon reduction gears specifically)

a 180w motor makes me think don't do it And buy a replacement 24v battery
Thank you Kristen, From the way I described my problem, it sounds like the battery right? Ok, you have convinced me not to go 36volts. But if i had 24 v 9ah in it now and went to 24 volt 15 ah, would that extend my run time?

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
I think it'll be OK at 36v. It looks like a Q85 motor. The 180w is just a label for legal requirements and has no bearing on what it can actually handle.

Ideally, you need a 36v controller to go with the battery, because your 24v one will have the wrong low voltage cut-off. Most 24v controllers can handle 36v, but it's not guaranteed. The other thing is that if you have any battery indicator LEDs, they'll be on all the time because they don't know it's a 36v battery. Controllers don't cost that much, so probably better to upgrade with the battery. If you're good at electronics, it's not difficult to adjust a 24v controller for 36v. If you want to do that, you need to take some clear pictures of the PCB.

yumseyo

Jul 9, 2019
I think it'll be OK at 36v. It looks like a Q85 motor. The 180w is just a label for legal requirements and has no bearing on what it can actually handle.

Ideally, you need a 36v controller to go with the battery, because your 24v one will have the wrong low voltage cut-off. Most 24v controllers can handle 36v, but it's not guaranteed. The other thing is that if you have any battery indicator LEDs, they'll be on all the time because they don't know it's a 36v battery. Controllers don't cost that much, so probably better to upgrade with the battery. If you're good at electronics, it's not difficult to adjust a 24v controller for 36v. If you want to do that, you need to take some clear pictures of the PCB.
THANKS vfr400,

Sorry, but what is a PCB?

I could follow directions but am not that great with electronics.

I may just get a 24 volt with higher aH rating for longer run time and give the bike to my wife..hee hee

Don

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
THANKS vfr400,

Sorry, but what is a PCB?

I could follow directions but am not that great with electronics.

I may just get a 24 volt with higher aH rating for longer run time and give the bike to my wife..hee hee

Don
That's the easiest solution and guaranteed to work. PCB= Printed Circuit Board.