Very Bright Very Cheap Light runs from battery

• Thread starter Deleted member 4366
  • Start date

drsolly

Pedelecer
Jan 21, 2014
I have a lux meter on its way to me. I'll be using that to measure the lux from the banggood light, as well as a "CREE XM-L 2xU2 LED 3 Modes 5000 Lumens Bicycle HeadLight" (Ebay, £12.65) and a few different head torches. Lux rather than lumens, because I suspect that lux is more relevant.

I;ve also ordered a 10w LED, which I plan to make up into a headlight, and a 3w red led which I plan to make into a rear light, and I'll measure those also.

I've noticed that I can buy a 100w led for about £5. But that might be too bright for a bicycle :)

D

Deleted member 4366

Saneagle and I went out the other night for a pint, and we came back up the off-road cycle route, which is completely unlit and you have to look out for fallen branches and pot-holes etc. Saneagle didn't have any trouble at all seeing where he was going with the Banggood light. He went on ahead most of the way. I used a single cree T6 on my bike, which gives a more focused beam, so appeared brighter. I also have lights with three, five and seven T6s that are total overkill for riding on unlit roads/tracks, but good fun nevertheless. The main advantage of the Banggood one is that you can make a nice strong bracket and leave it permanently fixed to your bike ready to use when you need it using your main battery - just switch it on.

Reactions: jackhandy

Geebee

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 26, 2010
Australia
Saneagle and I went out the other night for a pint, and we came back up the off-road cycle route, which is completely unlit and you have to look out for fallen branches and pot-holes etc. Saneagle didn't have any trouble at all seeing where he was going with the Banggood light. He went on ahead most of the way. I used a single cree T6 on my bike, which gives a more focused beam, so appeared brighter. I also have lights with three, five and seven T6s that are total overkill for riding on unlit roads/tracks, but good fun nevertheless. The main advantage of the Banggood one is that you can make a nice strong bracket and leave it permanently fixed to your bike ready to use when you need it using your main battery - just switch it on.
That last sentence is why my bike has head and tail lights running off the bikes battery pack.

Alchemist

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2014
Noted, and I agree totally re the convenience aspect of running it off the bike battery, the other light's pro point is because it has its own power supply it can be (very readily) removed and used on different bikes, or with the supplied headband as a hands free head torch. I re-discovered the original YT vid which convinced me to take a punt on the ebay light:

C

Cyclezee

Banggood Brilliant:)

This is one I fitted to an old eZee Cadence and you can see how it compares with original old Sanyo light that eZee used back then.
P1070223 copy.jpg

Alchemist

Pedelecer
Mar 21, 2014
I can only recommend that you give the ebay light a similar evaluation, I am sure you'll have your eyes opened even further!

Cheers

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
If I run wiring from my battery for one of the banggood bright lights, what thickness does it need to be? I've some thin wire from an expired 810 LED display, is that good enough or does it require more insulation just in case it gets scraped and is exposed to moisture?

What kind of and rating of fuse does the setup require?

Can anyone recommend a switch, please?

Do I just solder the light wires to the battery controller contacts?

Reactions: Flumpet

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
It's very low current, so that wire wil be OK. If you want a fuse, 1A will be enough because that will give you up to 36w. A 5A one would be OK too sonce you're protecting against a dead short, not an over-current situation. Banggood do switches as well.

http://m.banggood.com/78-Handlebar-Motorcycle-Scooter-ATV-Headlight-ON-OFF-Kill-Switch-p-954623.html
Thank you - appreciated.

Will ordinary shrink tube be enough to watertight the wire joins, or do I need adhesive shrink tube, or something else?

And is it ok to solder the light wire to the battery wire just so?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

There's not an exact answer. Just use common sense. You should be able to see where water can get in. The joints wouldn't normally be out in the rain. Some of those Banggood lights have to be waterproofed. Which one do you have?

The fuse should go clise to the battery. You can splice the wires in where you want. What battery is it?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
There's not an exact answer. Just use common sense. You should be able to see where water can get in. The joints wouldn't normally be out in the rain. Some of those Banggood lights have to be waterproofed. Which one do you have?

The fuse should go clise to the battery. You can splice the wires in where you want. What battery is it?
Thank you - very useful.

Does the fuse need to be on the positive or negative wire?

Can you recommend any type of silicone?

Also do you know what is the best way of waterproofing the switch?

It's this light. http://www.banggood.com/Motorcycle-Bicycle-Assist-Lamp-LED-Headlights-Modification-Spotlight-p-919876.html

My batteries are 09-type 'dolphin' bottle batteries, 36v and 48v.

Unfortunately the wire is only a foot or two long - and the wire for the switch is short too, so both joins will be somewhat exposed.

D

Deleted member 4366

You would solder the wires directly to the terminals in the controller compartment. You can put the fuse in there too. Lengthen the wire on the light if you have to.

That light has the DC/DC converter inside. You have to use silicone sealant around the bracket when you screw it on.

The switch and fuse can be on either wire, but I believe convention says the positive.

Reactions: jonathan75

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
You would solder the wires directly to the terminals in the controller compartment. You can put the fuse in there too. Lengthen the wire on the light if you have to.

That light has the DC/DC converter inside. You have to use silicone sealant around the bracket when you screw it on.

The switch and fuse can be on either wire, but I believe convention says the positive.
Thank you. Can you recommend a clear or black silicone sealant please?

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
Talking of beer cans. All the bikes I own either came fitted, or have been accessorised with a beer can holder. They are always slightly too big.

Here's the problem:

Reactions: jonathan75