Very heavy rider (25st+) - Is it worth even trying?

bluescrn

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2018
So I'm 40yrs old and seriously obese. And I'd been thinking about trying to get back on a bike after not cycling for about 15 years.

Been reading very mixed opinions about riding a regular bike in this sort of weight range. Some people seem to think that you'll be fine on a regular bike (at least a fairly tough MTB) so long as you stay on the road and are careful to avoid kerbs/potholes. Others not so much, suggesting at the very least extra-strong custom built wheels.

Manufacturers recommended weight limits on bikes certainly don't allow for the very-obese, but how far can you push it over the limit while maintaining a reasonable level of safety? (I'm not planning any off-road riding, will go easy and stick to the roads)

And then there's the electric option... which kind of excites me, as I know I'm going to really struggle with hills in my current state. And there's some really nice looking e-MTBs out there. But is there anything out there tough enough for a very heavy rider?

And even if the bike can handle the weight, is the 250W of permitted power going to be worthwhile with such a heavy rider? Or is it going to become a burden - a heavier bike with more parts to fail for a minimal amount of power assistance?

(Cost is less of an issue. I could probably justify to myself spending £2k on a bike if I thought it had a real chance of getting me more active. But maybe I'm better spending <£1k on something purely pedal powered instead?)

TZC

Pedelecer
Feb 4, 2014
I would say if you get something with a BPM or a Bosch performance CX - you'd be alright for power. But there's the frame stiffness to consider too.

Part of the reason I got the R+M Delite was I'm too heavy and it's rated to carry 140kg.

But- I rode a Kudos Tornado without any problem. I was way over the reccomended weight and it happily took me around even after derestricting it.

I say happily, well it didn't burn out at least.

I don't know how cheap exactly you can get a Bosch powered CX bike, but I'd reccomend it because crank drive means optimum power for each gear you have. Like a moped motorbike or car rather than a fixed range that depends on your rolling speed

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome

I wouldnt say your on a fail
You will have to pick carefully thou
Max weight wise people load up bikes with panniers etc so a bike is more capable than the manufacturers make out ,they play safe with max weight limits as they have too ,
mtbs they take a beating
So as you say an mtb on the road isnt even breaking a sweat stress wise so max frame weight is amplified off road with rough surfaces etc etc
Ebike wise you will be amazed at the assistance one gives so i dont think your on a non starter there
Crank drives are definitely the way to go as you have a different ratios working in its favour and yours
Keep us posted and good hunting

• Informative
Reactions: TZC and LeighPing

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Been reading very mixed opinions about riding a regular bike in this sort of weight range. Some people seem to think that you'll be fine on a regular bike (at least a fairly tough MTB) so long as you stay on the road and are careful to avoid kerbs/potholes. Others not so much, suggesting at the very least extra-strong custom built wheels.
'so long as you stay on the road and are careful avoid kerbs/potholes.'
that's good advice.
On flat or slightly inclined roads, any good bike will do for your weight. However, it's tough for the motor assisting you in a hill climb, you need a beefy motor for that.
So, start with some test rides.
Try to climb a steep hill to see how it goes.

• Informative

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
So I'm 40yrs old and seriously obese. And I'd been thinking about trying to get back on a bike after not cycling for about 15 years.
Just ride the bike. Try to enjoy yourself and let the electrical assistance help you with that. If you're enjoying it then you'll get out more and start to feel the benefits after a little while. You'll then likely find that you're feeling fitter, toning up underused muscles, and perhaps even losing a little bit of weight. I feel much fitter now, in a respiratory and cardiovascular kind of way. There are plenty of ebikes to suit your needs. Good luck and well done in taking the first step towards feeling better. :)

*If I'd have bought a regular bike, when I started biking, it would have been in the shed gathering dust by now. :oops: Go test ride some ebikes before you buy one. Then jump on a 'push' bike to see what I mean. :D

Vivien

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 9, 2018
Several positive suggestions here for specific bikes that would meet your needs. The most important thing is to enjoy riding your bike, which will motivate you to keep riding it. And gradually you'll become fitter and want to stay active. Plus at your age youve plenty of cycling years ahead of you.

bluescrn

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2018
Seems clear that there's not a lot out rated to handle 160KG or so of rider - with the exception of the Corratec Life bike mentioned above (which is about £4k and looks hard to get hold of in the UK)

I'd initially seen the Cube Reaction Hybrid series, which look fantastic, but are only rated to 125KG, including the weight of the bike itself. So even sticking to road riding and well away from the additional stress of off-road I'd probably be pushing my luck trying to ride that?

Even with something like the Woosh Big Bear, I'd be well over the 18st weight limit - although it looks like maybe a better choice for a big guy (solid-looking frame, 36 spoke wheels, adjustable stem and comfortable-looking saddle)

The hub vs. crank drive decision seems like it's not so clear-cut either. While crank drive should offer more power, it seems to mean that there's less 'standard bike parts' on then bike - the frame and gearing is designed around the drive? Whereas with a front hub motor, most of the bike is still 'standard bike parts' (when it comes to repairs/upgrades?)

At my current weight I'm too embarrassed to go into a bike shop and ask to test-ride something I know I'm well over the intended weight for... (especially with local bike shops appearing to cater more to the rather more athletic end of the spectrum...)

• Informative

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Seems clear that there's not a lot out rated to handle 160KG or so of rider - with the exception of the Corratec Life bike mentioned above (which is about £4k and looks hard to get hold of in the UK)

I'd initially seen the Cube Reaction Hybrid series, which look fantastic, but are only rated to 125KG, including the weight of the bike itself. So even sticking to road riding and well away from the additional stress of off-road I'd probably be pushing my luck trying to ride that?

Even with something like the Woosh Big Bear, I'd be well over the 18st weight limit - although it looks like maybe a better choice for a big guy (solid-looking frame, 36 spoke wheels, adjustable stem and comfortable-looking saddle)

The hub vs. crank drive decision seems like it's not so clear-cut either. While crank drive should offer more power, it seems to mean that there's less 'standard bike parts' on then bike - the frame and gearing is designed around the drive? Whereas with a front hub motor, most of the bike is still 'standard bike parts' (when it comes to repairs/upgrades?)

At my current weight I'm too embarrassed to go into a bike shop and ask to test-ride something I know I'm well over the intended weight for... (especially with local bike shops appearing to cater more to the rather more athletic end of the spectrum...)
you wont brake the frame unless you are going mad off road down hill but the wheels will give out b4 then unless you are also jumping it.

if you have thru axles back and front then road and canal paths will not be a problem tho stronger wheels may be needed if you start snapping spokes.

i seen plenty of fat ppl up the forest of dean on ebikes so unless you dont hammer the crap out of it off road you should be fine with the cube as it will spit you off it and brake you faster ;)

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Speak to David Miall at Wisper bikes as they are designed for the heavier rider.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
you'd be OK with the Big Bear.
Hatti insists on putting a limit the rider's weight only as a precaution.
You'll have to keep the tyres well pumped up and slimed or ask for the bike to be fitted with Marathon plus tyres.

TheBayn

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 1, 2018
Hereford
Hi Bluescrn

I am 73, over weight, finding it more and more difficult to walk and can no longer get on my old Daw's crossbar bike.

In an effort to up my exercise levels I recently purchased a Raleigh Motus and although I have only managed twenty miles so far I find it is wonderful. I can put in as little or as much effort a I want. I just aim at upping my breathing rate to a point where it is not actually painful and when it does get painful I kick in the electrical assist.

You must get an Ebike Bluesrcn. You will feel so good.

• Agree

BG bicycle

Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2018
Bulgaria
The main concern will be as already mentioned tyres. They will give way before any frame.

I ride close to a 100kg somedays and the rear Marathon plus is somewhat less oval than the front, even when without rider. I also ride at 60-70 psi on both tyres.

Recent I dropped a few kilos. However, having access to an organic chemist that knows about homone intelligence, does greatly assist. But hey, we are here to discuss ebikes.

Wisper, I’m sure if necessary could custom a build perhaps with more robust tyres?

Last edited:
  • Useful

Summerlightning

Pedelecer
May 4, 2015
Basingstoke
Hi,
I am of a similar size and have been happily using a Woosh Big bear for three years now and done +2K miles on it. I cannot recommend it highly enough. Whilst not exactly cheap it is very affordable and can be sold on if you find that cycling isn't for you or if you decide that it is and want to upgrade to a different bike later on.
As a bike for around town, lanes and cycle paths it is ideal.
Also their support and advice is superb.