Veteran bikes re-born as eBikes?

timidtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 19, 2009
Cheshire
GambiaGOES.blogspot.com
In the car world there are attempts from time to time to re-incarnate much loved models with modern mechanical bits. The 'new' beetles and minis lack the elegance of line their originals boasted, and the 'new' Fiat 500 is probably the most faithful to its ancestor.
As I may have mentioned, from time to time, J and I delught in a couple of beatiful, cream painted, Dutch Bikes. (Thanks, Bob!). As we wobbled along the Cheshire lanes this morning to collect paper and bottle of wine (the wicker basket is surely one of mankind's greatest discoveries) I took to musing on other models which might benefit fron an upgrade. Going back to the root of the matter, how about a hand-crafted Hobby Horse, battery & wiring concealed in polished wooden from? Or an electric 'Ordinary' bike, brilliant in gleaming black paint and silver e-powered wheels? I can see a beautiful Raliegh Superb Sports Tourist, gold lines highlighting green enamel? Gently wafted along with a rear wheel motor disguised as the S.W. 4W and hub dynamo combined?
Progress is going in the wrong direction - heading for the future instead of the past.
Nurse - is it time for my ...

Happy ebiking, & may the ewind be ever at your back.
I know what I want for Christmas ...

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Like the sound of your wicker basket shoppers!
Mine's plastic on the front rack.
Interesting bikes. Maybe I should read up on all your posts. Anyway, got any pictures?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It would be a pity to spoil the lines of an ordinary with any sort of battery case. However, a reconstructed model like this one but using a slightly larger diameter frame tube which could contain a row of cells would overcome that. A front hub motor though more discreet would make the pedal arrangement complex, so I'd favour a rear wheel hub motor, maybe a Tongxin for the small size and silence.

Of course these e-adaptations needn't just be for vintage bikes, other past designs could benefit. What kid wouldn't love a Raleigh Chopper with a rear hub motor making the wheelies even more exciting. With one of those I'd use one of the slim rack mounting batteries arranged as the seat backrest so nicely discreet, that rearward weight make spectacular wheelies almost obligatory. :cool:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Flecc, I can see what you are saying but it can be a very fine line to balance on.

Some of the vintage bikes are gorgeous and part of their charm is the fact that they are not made to go fast. The whole image of them is quiet rides in the country for picnics and summers day.

If you then start adding batteries and motors I think it could detract from the "Vintage-ness". Unless it is done very discreetly and tastefully. It is a good idea though.

But nomatter how you do it, half the people will like it and half won`t. I had the same problem when I restored an old Moto Guzzi. In the end I could not satisfy everyone and so I pleased myself and did it how I wanted to do it.

Steve

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc, I can see what you are saying but it can be a very fine line to balance on.

Some of the vintage bikes are gorgeous and part of their charm is the fact that they are not made to go fast. The whole image of them is quiet rides in the country for picnics and summers day.

If you then start adding batteries and motors I think it could detract from the "Vintage-ness". Unless it is done very discreetly and tastefully. It is a good idea though.

But nomatter how you do it, half the people will like it and half won`t. I had the same problem when I restored an old Moto Guzzi. In the end I could not satisfy everyone and so I pleased myself and did it how I wanted to do it.

Steve
I agree Steve, veteran things are best left as originals, including faces plastered with excessive make-up!

You're forgiven for any variations to your Moto Guzzi though, nothing could destroy the wonderful character of those huge transverse cylinder inline V twins. Regardless of their superiority, Japanese transverse fours are colourless and characterless in comparison.

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
There is of course the idea of creating a new item with traditional looks. An example are kit cars that replicate the looks of classic or vintage vehicles, but are in fact based upon new models. With those internals you might say the looks are just a façade. And you would be right.
That is exactly the kind of thing I like.
Including an 'old fashioned' looking bicycle that has an electric assist system. Which hopefully you don't notice at first glance.

Here is my (compromise of an) old fashioned looking bike:

Last edited:

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Hihihi, Yes thats what we are talking about, exactly right.

The only thing that spoils it for me is the D lock and the black box on the bike. But that does not matter because it is not my money paying for it. But a good job.

Flecc...I am lucky enough to have one of those huge transverse jobbies. But the bike I restored was not quite so big because I still think a socket is a spanner but the project is coming along ok. It is a 1956 Moto Guzzi cardellino from 1956 which started out as a piece of scrap in 2009.

So the idea of turning a vintage bike into an electric bike with taste appeals to me.

Steve

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
I've got one of those huge Guzzis too, a 1978 850-S4 (T3 California and LeMans 2 cross).
Unfortunately in the shed awaiting time/money/interest to all come together at once !

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Love the Moto Guzzi. I think given its condition and shiny look its best left in the house like that on display :D

Though of course it would be shame not to use and ride it.

Regards

Jerry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Flecc...I am lucky enough to have one of those huge transverse jobbies. But the bike I restored was not quite so big because I still think a socket is a spanner but the project is coming along ok. It is a 1956 Moto Guzzi cardellino from 1956 which started out as a piece of scrap in 2009.

Steve
Still nice and full of distinctive Italian character, though I have a bigger soft spot for those transverse Vs.

D

Deleted member 4366

I agree Steve, veteran things are best left as originals, including faces plastered with excessive make-up!

You're forgiven for any variations to your Moto Guzzi though, nothing could destroy the wonderful character of those huge transverse cylinder inline V twins. Regardless of their superiority, Japanese transverse fours are colourless and characterless in comparison.
I agree in part with what you say. I still have a BSA A10 RGS replica that I built from scratch, and out of al the 100 or more motorcycles that I've owned, there's something about the ergonomics and power characteristics that makes the A10 an absolute joy to ride in many circumstances.

On the other hand, I used to go to to a German rally every year, and there I met a guy that was a Guzzi fanatic. He'd had them all his life and explained about the beautiful motor and character. Then one time I went his Guzzi was replaced by a lovely new Suzuki. I asked him what's going on, to which he replied that he now felt that he'd been an idiot for living in the past. The Suzuki was more powerful, better handling, more comfortable, better equipped and better handling by a long way, and he'd never go back to his agricultural Guzzis.
So, I think these old machines bring many fond memories, which is why people want to keep them alive, but we have to be honest - that technology has moved on and present machines are far more practical, and that we tend to have selective memories, only remembering the good points from these old machines and forgetting about all the bad points.

Finally, I wouldn't describe Japanese fours as colourless and characterless: There's hardly an experience in the world like the eruption that happened on the 1989 GSXR1000, when you hit 6000revs. I think most machines have good points and bad points, but I like them all.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The Suzuki was more powerful, better handling, more comfortable, better equipped and better handling by a long way, and he'd never go back to his agricultural Guzzis.

So, I think these old machines bring many fond memories, which is why people want to keep them alive, but we have to be honest - that technology has moved on and present machines are far more practical, and that we tend to have selective memories, only remembering the good points from these old machines and forgetting about all the bad points.

Finally, I wouldn't describe Japanese fours as colourless and characterless: There's hardly an experience in the world like the eruption that happened on the 1989 GSXR1000, when you hit 6000revs. I think most machines have good points and bad points, but I like them all.
Absolutely, fully agreed. I was speaking as much on appearance as anything else. In usage all the Japanese fours totally outclass the Guzzi, but in looks they mostly have a certain common blandness.

Agricultural is a quite good way to describe the transverse V Moto Guzzi, did you know that it's engine in 700 cc form was originally designed for and used in their post WW2 Mullo Mechanico three wheeler van and only found it's way into the motorbike later? Having ridden one I'm under no illusions about the "refinement"!

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I have had all sorts of motorbikes. My last bike was a Yamaha FZ6 sports bike. Nice little bike and we went on many trips including 2 up to Normandy from Denmark. I then bought my Moto Guzzi California 1100i and collected it in Yorkshire. The very first time I sat on it we were on the way to Italy. No test ride round the block or anything. Get on and go, with all our gear. Wonderful trip through the UK, France, over the alps into Italy and down to Verona and then back to Denmark. It is the best touring bike I have ever been on. It is not a sports bike but with an 1100i engine in it, it is not slow. I have done 13000 miles on it now and it has never let me down. Agricultural is not a bad description. We have done the Italy trip 3 times now as well as the rest of Europe. I would not consider it on any other bike other than my California. It is not nostalgia, it is just the best touring bike I have ever ridden.

Steve

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I live right next door to Germany and have had plenty of opportunity to ride BMWs. In all honesty, you could not give me one. When you go to the Dolomites or Alps, they are as common as muck and just as souless. Every man and his dog have one.

As for Charlie Boredom and Ewan Mcgregor and their BMW GS sagas. If tht is what BMW riders are I am glad to be with Guzzi.

Steve