Video Editing Software for PC.

lenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 3, 2023

peterjd

Pedelecer
Sep 18, 2019
No one mentioned Avidemux (free open source)? I only use it for very basic editing eg cutting out the adverts but it works well enough on Linux.

ArnyP

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 11, 2023
London
Hey! Nice option is Filmora by Wondershare. It's known for its intuitive interface and easy-to-use tools, making it perfect for beginners who want to edit their videos quickly and efficiently. Filmora offers a range of editing features, such as trimming, splitting, and adding effects, to help you create professional-looking videos without a steep learning curve. In addition, with its help, it is easy to integrate various elements such as vector images (like single parent family images). This allows you to make your videos more interesting and of higher quality.

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I manage clips from my GoPros very easily using the Quik app on my multiple Motorola G30 phones, and I have a modest Dell Latitude 5420 laptop.

Is there a simple to use video editor for short clips, say up to 30 seconds, at modest resolution, say 1080p and 24fps, that would enable me to fuzz out number plates and ideally also sign writing on vehicles, using current equipment?
Further to previous replies on this thread, here's an example using my very old version of Sony Vegas 9, which doesn't have any video object motion tracking facility, so I've had to motion define - I've used a big black pixel to obscure signs at 54 seconds, which you can skip to. Also, the profile pic is motion defined. I could deform sign obscuring pixels to match sign geometry, but haven't bothered. On 20" wheels, hill climbing is faster with the 36V BBS01B controller limit raised to 18A. My speedo shows kph - BTW I'm using leg power after the legal 25kph cutoff, but would rather not be stopped and accused. I'm pedalling as hard and as fast as I can, for a bit less than a mile in total. There's some uphill after the traffic lights 54 seconds in, and it continues like that for another 2 miles, but I had to stop to answer a phone call. 1080P playback is selectable.

EDIT: I've replaced the video with just the uphill bit. It's even less exciting now!

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm new to this but there is some video editing facilities using Google photos
Online editing services keep getting better - they could network render your video far faster than anyone can possibly hope to using one PC at home... trouble is, you have to upload videos to their servers, and sometimes your action camera videos can be very large - for example, my GoPro records 4gb files... so first using free software like LosslessCut to snip out the bits you want to combine online, can save time and data, if you have a slow connection like me. Do wish my GoPro could have max file sizes limited to manageable 200mb chunks.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LosslessCut

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
Yes, when I am filming in 2.7k, the Apeman produces 2.7 GB file for every 15 minutes of filming. I removed the MicoSd card from the camera and put it in my Chromebook micro SD card drive and the Chromebook popped up an alert " do you want to backup photos / videos" . I clicked Yes, and next time I looked all the 2.7GB videos had been loaded into my Google photos. (Our area has just had fibre optic installed and I am on the cheapest ZZOOMM package £20/month for 180Mb/s synchronous) I might need to up my Google one subscription from the £1.58 for 100 GB at this rate ! Working with the uploaded files was fine, the heaviest task was "stabilisation" which took a couple of minutes for the 2.7GB file, but most of the other operations were pretty instantaneous and you can do cuts and frame grabs from the source file

Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I'm certainly not keeping massive video files hanging around for no good reason! I snip out any small bits of interest (rare, obviously lol) and delete the rest - my GoPro Hero 7 Black uses up 4gb for every 11 minutes of video at 1080P/24fps. I don't want to record 4k either, files are too damned big, and besides, 4k drains battery too fast. Colours are better with slow shutter speed, but 1/384s is great for recording number plates... therefore my videos look paricularly grainy when shot at night. Better grainy than blurry! This is how night footage looks on auto (first section with potholes), blurs everywhere:

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
e £1.58 for 100 GB at this rate !
I would rather do an external drive (USB C) m.2 caddy perhaps. But I do have plenty of storage and I haven't looked into external drive of late. These subscription services for cloud space only want to upsell every five mins. I recently did a 4 part youtube of an xbox series xs teardown My channel I was going to try davinci resolve but alas opted for shotcut after proxy creation it went rather smooth on this 8 year old laptop (4 core (a6) vega apu).

Brik

Pedelecer
May 11, 2023
West Midlands
I was going to try davinci resolve...
I've just down loaded DaVinci onto my Windows 10 desktop but it keeps crashing. As it's loading I get an error "unable to load plug in: USD.plugin DLL initialisation routine failed"
It does load and I'm able to import and combine clips, but it'll frequently fail and the program closes.
Any ideas?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I've just down loaded DaVinci onto my Windows 10 desktop but it keeps crashing. As it's loading I get an error "unable to load plug in: USD.plugin DLL initialisation routine failed"
At a guess, uninstall davinci, update windows, re-install. DLL are usually shared OS and app files from memory. If one gets corrupted it could affect other apps.

I will now read @lenny post

EDIT Seems like a missing DLL kinda problem, I would (IMO) also use CCleaner as standalone ( stop it from running with windows after the task is complete) and clear the registry of any missing entries. However this could be classed as advance IT & you should probably familiarise yourself with CCleaner and what the registry is.

Last edited:
Reactions: guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I've got DaVinci Resolve on Windows 7, no issues, but it's an older version because it's running on Windows 7. Might have required the Microsoft C++ library, can't recall. Although it works perfectly fine, I hate that functions are hidden away to keep the user interface looking clean, rather than productive - everything in Sony Vegas is so obvious, so quick to access, intuitive and easy to use, much of the time I have little justification to use DaVinci or Adobe Premiere. Sony made very few interface changes after buying Vegas from Sonic Foundry, sadly Magix have nixed all that with a DaVinci Resolve makeover... so I can't recommend Magix Vegas to anyone - every function is now an additional click or several away, and doesn't behave as expected. Horrible and retrograde, but more functions, and might crash anytime - quite surprising for a German company, to have screwed things up so badly. Perhaps Magix is so cheap, it's not worth bug fixing or investing resources to programme properly. I fear Germans have hired Dutch programmers.

Last edited:
  • :D
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Sony Vegas
That could be an annoyance in shotcut although I have no frame of reference due to not using the weird and whacky features, I feel that they did move "Undo" from the timeline buttons and I use that a lot, I mean a lot... I really must learn what each function does as my edits merely scratch the surface of even basic editing. Yes I have used a few wipes in the past, a few audio mutes here and there I even went bold once and added a free music track.

From a quick google Sony vegas isn't free?? so I figure if one pays, it should be all easy access functions.

Reactions: guerney

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I feel that they did move "Undo" from the timeline buttons and I use that a lot, I mean a lot...
I don't use Vegas, but almost certainly ctrl-Z works for undo. If you use it a lot you'll probably find that much more convenient than a button anyway.

Reactions: PC2017 and guerney

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
From a quick google Sony vegas isn't free?? so I figure if one pays, it should be all easy access functions.
Back then everything video related was expensive, now it's free and easy to edit on pretty much any device and produce professional results, one way or another, the only investment being time. Sony Vegas was relatively cheap, licensed forever, and I've never upgraded. I do weird and whacky video doodles quite often - they render in the background for 14 hours or more, while I work on other things. This was originally a very clear view of one of my boring bike rides, now transmogrified into a boring who knows what. Won't be linking it here, as it's strange music related and no longer recognisable as bikey. The views make no sense - it's even labelled "boring bike ride".

I've whackified the hill climb video, couldn't help it. Visuals made with Sony Vegas from my boring bikes rides... original soundtrack created in Sony Acid, which is also very easy to use.

so I figure if one pays, it should be all easy access functions.
I don't think so, look at Windows 10, 11 and 12! I'll stick with Win 7. The problem is user interfaces for most free or cheap software is designed by programmers.

Last edited:

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
ctrl-Z works
OMG, so it is. I never even considered a shortcut key & I use them all on the timeline "k" "arrors" "space" etc. Not even mentioning the fact I can almost navigate windows without a mouse, from the days; not enough 640K to load a mouse. Alt-f4 still gets most people I help and alt-tab really does blag their little heads.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I probably use ctrl-Z more than any other shortcut as it works in almost all applications, and I make lots of mistakes and tests whatever I am doing. Only major irritation is that some apps use ctrl-Y for redo, and some use shift-ctrl-Z

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
I have now, to remember this for my next editing sesh. I might to some "chest cam" stuff in summer on bike, my gripe with the GoPro on bike is taking it off when I hit the shops, if I do chest cam I could, depending on summer temps, cover it with fleece when shopping. But alas, will chest cam pick up some good/bad drivers or my demise, I do hope so... If I do meet my maker it'll be a bus, a citroen or an SUV lmao.