Video Editing Software for PC.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
upgrade to Win10
Windows 11 will be gone soon...

nothing i have can use win 11 either
As @guerney says, work around(s) try BriTec on YT or (maybe) Mikes unboxing or Chris Titus Tech (bloatware installers hes good for, a tad techy for me now a days though, I just manually de-bloated win11 the best I could)

Linux first, on a fast PC.
I have that I7 3770 with hyperX DDR3(16GB) mobo (m-atx back plate included) heat sink with fan with 3x functioning push pins but it may need some replacement intel mounting pins. All for the low price of £50 with free shipping and a bonus I5 3330 and SATA cables for good luck. (ONO) All it needs is a cheapo SSD and it's fast. If you can twist my arm I could for a few bucks more chuck in the GTX 960 4GB all though I would need to run that by the other half first. (open to anyone) I hate that its not doing much sat in a box.

Tbf win 11 gets a bad wrap, I have not seen any unwanted ads (a part from steam/epic) or widgets & the shotgun with a full box of ammo is at the ready in case AI shows up, I also have a sign on the front door saying "Strangers, sales people or SKY NET are NOT welcome here"

My win11 looks and feels like win10 even the right mouse button. By the time you all move to win11 AI will have beat the Chinese in taking over the world, it will be the sole investor in all major companies and the NASDAQ will be reduced to the 7 AI owns.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i have a tyan dual Xeon server board it would only have a bios update via the usb on the mb like the inverter its time is coming to a end.

got 11 years out of old psu 1200 dark power pro fkn 1 year out of warranty those caps only last so long and not to hard to replace them all it just becomes is it worth the time and effort ;)

350v 1200uf cap looking at 50 quid each so its scrap

Reactions: PC2017

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
My Windows 10 gaming PC looks and behaves pretty much like Win7 by design. You need Classic Shell and a properly sized Win7 logo for Start menu (lots of vids on YT)

Even my son (14 next week), has done this (on his way more powerful gaming PC than mine), as the UX on Win10/Office 10 etc. was a step back IMHO... Ha, has anyone tried to use Visio since 2012, what a disgrace...

Reactions: PC2017

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Windows 11 will be gone soon...
Yes, sure as eggs is eggs, never really understood why they came out and said the instead of new OS releases they were going to do iterative codebase releases. But Win11 was a new release....and when that codebase needs updated as new chips come along....to Win<x>? Dunno, I gave up caring, I just want it to be lightweight, fast and not look like sh1t3

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Apple f3cked it pretty badly when they moved to M1/M2 chips from an agnostic pov, impossible to run Windows full stop on that architecture. Apparently they now 'support' Parallels VMs running Win11, 'haud me back'...I'll never buy another one as the SW I need is just not available on mac/linux or a good enough experience in VMs.

My Macbook pro retina 15 mid 2014 is 10 yrs old to me in 5months, still blows away my 1yr old HP work laptop performance and experience wise. Nuts.

I893469365902345609348566

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 20, 2021

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I have that I7 3770 with hyperX DDR3(16GB) mobo (m-atx back plate included) heat sink with fan with 3x functioning push pins but it may need some replacement intel mounting pins. All for the low price of £50 with free shipping and a bonus I5 3330 and SATA cables for good luck. (ONO) All it needs is a cheapo SSD and it's fast. If you can twist my arm I could for a few bucks more chuck in the GTX 960 4GB all though I would need to run that by the other half first. (open to anyone) I hate that its not doing much sat in a box.
You might get more as exchange value from Cex for those?

https://uk.webuy.com/search?stext=custom%20i7%203770&availability=In%20Stock%20Online

I've been collecting 4th gen i7 CPUs and motherboards etc, the final compatible with Win7. There are ways to shoehorn Win7 into newer Intel boxes Makes sense to go the cheaper AMD route at some point, but I have no need of this yet. i7 4790s are nippy enough at present, as I'm not a gamer (good job too, sounds expensive and exhausting).

Apple f3cked it pretty badly when they moved to M1/M2 chips from an agnostic pov, impossible to run Windows full stop on that architecture. Apparently they now 'support' Parallels VMs running Win11, 'haud me back'...I'll never buy another one as the SW I need is just not available on mac/linux or a good enough experience in VMs.

My Macbook pro retina 15 mid 2014 is 10 yrs old to me in 5months, still blows away my 1yr old HP work laptop performance and experience wise. Nuts.
Stops proliferation of all of those Hackintoshes. I don't like non-upgradable RAM, hard to repair Apple gear - much prefer Meccano-esque PCs. I'm looking forward to the ReactOS V1 release, but I've been waiting for years. I expect Microsoft will kill it. Mind you, they make far more money flogging clouds than they ever did OSs - I don't think Nadella gives a toss about the desktop anymore, and it shows. Office 2003 Professional is on my own PCs, Thunderbird for email, LibreOffice to convert from the newer formats to old and back again if necessary. Office 360 (it takes about 5 days off a year) can go to hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woosh

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
You might get more as exchange value from Cex for those?
last look £16 for the I7 & a few quid coins for the RAM if they would buy it I was told. To case it & SSD it would cost too much to build n sell, if it sold at all. I put in on ebay spares faulty but working.

I'm not a gamer (good job too, sounds expensive and exhausting).
It is, I think its an age + eye sight thing, I just started cyberpunk 2077 although impressive visually it took me 5 days to dial in a stable 60fps experience with the crapfest that is FSR, FSR might work on monitors but my TV not a chance, to improve my experience I need a 144hz monitor preferable 1080p 32" then pray the 6GB vram on the 5600xt can handle it (although it does a graphical amazing job at medium settings 1080p no upscaling with a stable 60fps ). It's always something with PC gaming I remember why I went Xbox all them years ago. But hey I made my deal with the the devil that is AMD 5000[which is pure perfection mind], but now I see they want to stop ppl using AD blockers on Youtube, well I guess its more less complex games and netflix movies. :(

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
I just started cyberpunk 2077 although impressive visually it took me 5 days to dial in a stable 60fps experience
Ha, don't complain too much, remember the days when to get any PC game running you had to mess with autoexec.bat and config.sys...disappointed kids everywhere when games wouldn't run on Christmas Day...

portals

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 15, 2022
Stops proliferation of all of those Hackintoshes. I don't like non-upgradable RAM, hard to repair Apple gear - much prefer Meccano-esque PCs.

Office 2003 Professional is on my own PCs, Thunderbird for email, LibreOffice to convert from the newer formats to old and back again if necessary. Office 360 (it takes about 5 days off a year) can go to hell.
The Macbook Pro 15" Retina 16MB mid-2014 is actually more serviceable than most Apple products. I have had it in pieces more than once and have replaced the battery pack after is became so swollen that it was bulging case apart and stopped trackpad working. The iFixit battery worked great and was easy to replace. Also redid thermal paste on CPU/GPU and give it a good clean out around fans once a yr. Most parts are replaceable and plenty of YT videos, it's actually getting the parts that is the issue queue right to repair arguments....

For years I was a Microsoft Partner and paid for the Action Pack, you receive multiple licenses for pretty much all the software MS have on release at that time. I have full Office 2010 that I use daily on both my laptop and PC and all the desktop/server OSs etc. They used to send out big boxes with folders in them with loads DVDs, more recently it's a download for the software and license keys.

New battery on left, old battery on right

Old swollen battery

New Battery Installed

Reactions: guerney

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
don't complain too much, remember the days when to get any PC game running you had to mess with autoexec.bat and config.sys.
Yep first world problems I guess. Tbf I don't think I am going to play CP2077 much, far too much razzle dazzle, hurts my eyes even with lens flare, motion blur etc set to off.

Indeed the days of scraping as much base K together to get the sound blaster & the mouse to function in Doom & Rise of the triad. Good times.

New battery on left, old battery on right
Can't say I have ever experienced a swollen battery. Oh is that an Apple, that explains it then.

actually more serviceable than most Apple
:eek: I was gona say, it must be old then...

Reactions: portals

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
I manage clips from my GoPros very easily using the Quik app on my multiple Motorola G30 phones, and I have a modest Dell Latitude 5420 laptop.

Is there a simple to use video editor for short clips, say up to 30 seconds, at modest resolution, say 1080p and 24fps, that would enable me to fuzz out number plates and ideally also sign writing on vehicles, using current equipment?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Is there a simple to use video editor for short clips, say up to 30 seconds, at modest resolution, say 1080p and 24fps, that would enable me to fuzz out number plates and ideally also sign writing on vehicles, using current equipment?
There are at least three ways:

1. Magix Vegas Pro has a Hifilm plugin to blur areas out, or used to.

2. In a video editor, you could make a small blurred or blacked out area layer, and move+scale it matching the movement of the plate you want to obscure.

3. You could output every relevant frame, obscure the plates etc. in each of those frames using an image editor, then reinsert those frames into your video project.

Dell Latitude 5420 laptop
That's certainly capable of exporting 1080P video files.

Reactions: matthewslack

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
There are at least three ways:

1. Magix Vegas Pro has a Hifilm plugin to blur areas out, or used to.

2. In a video editor, you could make a small blurred or blacked out area layer, and move+scale it matching the movement of the plate you want to obscure.

3. You could output every relevant frame, obscure the plates etc. in each of those frames using an image editor, then reinsert those frames into your video project.

That's certainly capable of exporting 1080P video files.

Are these all frame by frame manual edit processes? Are there any automated tools for the proletariat?

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Are these all frame by frame manual edit processes? Are there any automated tools for the proletariat?
Option 3 is a manual process - sometimes only half a second (or less) of frames need editing. 1 and 2 require motion tracking, or motion and scaling of blurred/pixellated/covered area defined, and possibly layers, depending on which editing program you use.

Scribbled out plates and signage would in effect be frame by frame animation, and could look rather funky.

Reactions: matthewslack

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
Option 3 is a manual process - sometimes only half a second (or less) of frames need editing. 1 and 2 require motion tracking, or motion and scaling of blurred/pixellated/covered area defined, and possibly layers, depending on which editing program you use.

Scribbled out plates and signage would in effect be frame by frame animation, and could look rather funky.
Thanks, that's enough to start my fuddled brain next time it wants to play.

I get lots of great footage of badly driven commercial vehicles where the company respond well, so I don't want to embarrass them, but the geometry of the encounter deserves an audience of more than 1.

And now it is winter, so time to play.

Saracen

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2023
Looks like people on here use Video editing software on the videos they post.

So which Video editing software would people recommend, preferably free, although good software can be worth paying for.

Main use would be making short excerpts from videos\sound taken with one of my cameras, Akaso Brave4 or Techalogic FHD1080.

PC Is currently Windows 8, laptop is Windows 10.

I have used Pinnacle for 25 years

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
I get lots of great footage of badly driven commercial vehicles where the company respond well, so I don't want to embarrass them, but the geometry of the encounter deserves an audience of more than 1.

And now it is winter, so time to play.
In some versions of Vegas, you can deform geometry of the mask, scale and move at the same time, but DaVinci Resolve is free.

Last edited:

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
In some versions of Vegas, you can deform geometry of the mask, scale and move at the same time, but DaVinci Resolve is free.

I'll be having a go at this when I can manage to offload some prototypey webby stuff to clear headspace!