Visibility

Blew it

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2008
Swindon, Wiltshire
No, it isn't, that jersey will suit both town and country riding.

In amongst buildings, yellow or sicky green is best, but once out in the sticks you will disappear, especially if riding past oil seed rape in full bloom.

In the countryside, blaze orange is best, that's why rail track maintenance crews wear that colour in preference to yellow.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
I use a hi - vis waistcoat bought from Lidl for about £3 .The colour is orange and I`m sure any passing train would slow down for me as it is the same as issued to Railway workers .I ride with the yellow waterproof cover permanently covering my bike bag . With this combination everyone gives me such a wide berth that I worry that they will smash into oncoming traffic on the other carriageway ! Strangely it`s always the odd young women Driver that likes to scare me on occasions .Sorry to be a bit sexist .

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Surprisingly, on some non-electric bike forums, you get a lot of stick for advocating visibility. I remember some burk once wrote (not on here, by the way) that his choice was to ride a black bike wearing black clothing, and if I didn't like it, that was tough.

Round here the mood is different!

I wear a pricey Altura Night-Vision yellow jacket, or a cheap orange waistcoat if it gets warmer.

I have yellow fluorescent gaffer tape round my helmet, plus flashing lights - a red one on the back of the carrier, similar on the back of the helmet, plus two flashing white ones on the bars.

Unkind neighbours point out that all I need is a fairy on me head and it would be Christmas, but I am past the age of giving a toss.

Why all this stuff? Well, for 40+ years I've primarily been a car driver, living in NW London, and as a driver I would rather have a yellow/orange rider with loads of flashing lights coming towards me from any direction, than that burk in black I mentioned above! (And no, the ideas in that video are certainly not going 'too far'. Wouldn't mind if high-vis wear was made compulsory).

A.

Last edited:

wharfitude

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 1, 2009
NR28
Hmm... I see that this US vendor of cycling jerseys recommends that you never cycle after dark "it's not worth the risk". That would have ruled out my commute for six months of the year. Are things really that bad in America - they seem to be suggesting certain death for night-time cyclists?

Having got that off my chest I'm in favour of Roadie Roger's approach - my high-viz waistcoat was standard issue to British Gas staff around 20 years ago and it's still going strong. It has the advantage over these pricey and lurid cycling jerseys that it has reflective stripes which are very effective after dark - if you dare to venture out at night!

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I've worn hi vis on motorbikes in the past as well as bright clothing and dark clothing. I never noticed any difference, in fact I was driven into more times whilst wearing the bright vest.
Lights are important at night but apart from that I use road positioning to get people to see me. This works well in london but may not be so good for faster country roads.

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
i wouldn't mind if hi vis was made compulsory
Any more suggestions for compulsory things for cyclists anyone? Helmets, indicators, insurance?

How about day-glo paint for bikes, pedelec limited to 5mph, unassisted limited to 4mph, minimum age for cycling 21, compulsory knee and elbow pads, face masks against particle pollution, first aid to be carried in panniers, distance flags on right side, air bag in handlebar, flashing led warning triangle suspended on balloon 2 metres above cycle, bicycle excise duty, tyre pressure warning beepers, chain tension warning light, spoke tension bleeper warning for each spoke, rust level indicator for frame, handlebar out of alignment indicator, brake adjustment flashing led, gear too high/ low warning? :rolleyes:

When did we all become one another keepers? When did we all become nannies?

Why not solve all the problems by either making cycling so miserable and onerous that no one does it (Australia has a head start on us here) or just ban it all together on health and safety grounds?

I think I'm joking but having re-read what I've written, I may have just put a load of ideas in the mind of self-appointed do gooders and ambitious motoring lobbyists :eek::eek:

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
Any more suggestions for compulsory things for cyclists anyone? Helmets, indicators, insurance?

How about day-glo paint for bikes, pedelec limited to 5mph, unassisted limited to 4mph, minimum age for cycling 21, compulsory knee and elbow pads, face masks against particle pollution, first aid to be carried in panniers, distance flags on right side, air bag in handlebar, flashing led warning triangle suspended on balloon 2 metres above cycle, bicycle excise duty, tyre pressure warning beepers, chain tension warning light, spoke tension bleeper warning for each spoke, rust level indicator for frame, handlebar out of alignment indicator, brake adjustment flashing led, gear too high/ low warning? :rolleyes:

When did we all become one another keepers? When did we all become nannies?

Why not solve all the problems by either making cycling so miserable and onerous that no one does it (Australia has a head start on us here) or just ban it all together on health and safety grounds?

I think I'm joking but having re-read what I've written, I may have just put a load of ideas in the mind of self-appointed do gooders and ambitious motoring lobbyists :eek::eek:
Let's also get rid of burdensome highway regulations, no standards for constructing road, signs etc. Lets get rid of speed limits and seat belts and being forced to drive on a particular side of the road. Bloody do-gooders came up with all of that nonsense.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
compulsory knee and elbow pads (km - I cycle dangerously fast most of the time)
face masks against particle pollution (km - and insects - I've swallowed loads of flies recently!) ..
tyre pressure warning beepers (km - it annoys me when I am at anything less than full pressure)
spoke tension bleeper warning for each spoke (km - I had 2 spokes go recently)
I agree (apart from the above which I've been considering ...)

Last edited:

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Let's also get rid of burdensome highway regulations, no standards for constructing road, signs etc. Lets get rid of speed limits and seat belts and being forced to drive on a particular side of the road. Bloody do-gooders came up with all of that nonsense.
Eclectic: there should be an 'Irony Warning' on such messages, as, in a strange American way, some people will miss the point and start supporting you.

(PS: well said.)

(PPS: Lemmy - do watch the old blood pressure, pal.)

A

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
They are American. That is simply the legal liability clause.
I was surprised at how poor the street lighting was in many parts of the USA when I first went there. In some places we should have had a torch just to walk about at night, but then most Americans would have got a cab.

I ride my bike here in the UK even in daytime with a Cateye Opticube flashing rear light slightly angled up as it is very visible. Most drivers seem to give me a bit extra space because of it. The batteries last for ages so the cost is negligable.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I think that (at least in London) we are following the US's lead in this, i.e. poor street lighting.

I drove home from the West End to NW London the other week, at about 10 on a Saturday night, and it seemed that many main road lights were either turned down, or turned off. Two or three years ago it was bright all the way, and all the safer for it; not so now.

(I would propose a minimum lighting standard for such streets, but the thought of more regulations might upset lemmy, so I'll keep it to myself).

A

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Eclectic: there should be an 'Irony Warning' on such messages, as, in a strange American way, some people will miss the point and start supporting you.

(PS: well said.)

(PPS: Lemmy - do watch the old blood pressure, pal.)

A
My blood pressure is excellent - checked regularly!

All I object to in practise is people who know no more - and often have less experience than me - encouraging other people to force me to do things.

In my working life I have covered wars and violent conflict, I have cycled in many, many countries and driven in every continent. I have learned how to look after myself in other words. I then find some spotty legislator who often doesn't even ride a bicycle, telling me what is safe.

Personally, I enjoy writing invective which is what my post was. I really must start using html mark-up more clearly, <joke>I had hoped this was funny</joke> to make things clear. To extrapolate that to saying that I wanted to get rid of speed limits, no road standards - I didn't say that, did I?

I don't want to be forced to wear hi-vis jackets, or helmets. I have no objections to others wearing them, why should I? All I don't like is that the folk who because they think them a good idea, want to force me to do the same.

If you manage to get the government to force all cyclists to wear yellow jackets, do you think they'd stop there?

I ride my Tasman with the lights on all the time. I consider it worthwhile. I suppose where we'd differ is that I wouldn't want to force you to ride with lights on all the time.

Nothing personal here and I don't want to upset anyone. As a general rule, I get more enjoyment from defending things I don't believe in than those I do but given the quality of legislators we have, we really shouldn't be encouraging them ;)

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
I am a cyclist and motorcyclists and always wear a vis vest when I get on either. Vis vests used to scorned by the motorcycle fraternity but they are getting more and more common, in Denmark anyway.

On the motorbike I wear a yellow vis vest. The bike moves fast and a fast moving yellow vest stands out. I also have my lights on all the time, day or night. A legal requirement in Denmark.

I also wear a yellow vis vest or yellow Altura jacket on my cycle. I always ride with my smart light on flash mode, day or night and not a legal requirement.

Having watched that video of the horrendous cycle jersey, only my opinion. I will now be wearing my red Altura cycle top as I did not realise how much the yellow blends into the foliage...and rape fields as mentioned. We have a lot of rape fields in my area, stunningly beautiful.

Thanks for this post it has bought something to my attention that I did not realise before.

Steve

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Ignoring for a moment the tongue in cheek (I hope) comments and jokes and back to the OP question...

I take being as visible as I can very seriously and do all I can to help motorists see me as far away as possible - whether on my normal push bike, Ezee Sprint or my Honda PCX

When I first started looking into buying an e-bike back in December 2009 I was having some ongoing eye problems, and already being on a 3 year restricted driving licence due to Glaucoma, I was convinced the DVLA would not renew my licence in May 2010 due to the deterioration in my left eye.

When it came to the tests I was recommended not to forward any results for the left eye, but to apply on the basis of only having vision in one eye, which although by no means perfect should be sufficient to renew my licence. This turned out to be good advice and I have been given another 3 year licence - huurah! I continue to have regular eye checks, the first corneal graft has now failed and I hope to have another in the autumn, I also regularly double check that my sight meets the required standard and I have a number plate set up at home at the required distance to regularly self check.

Reason for saying all this - I became very aware just how poor a persons sight can be and they still have a licence, and not everyone gets checked over as often as me.

Add to that the following:

Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ into a setting sun
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ before the condensation on the inside of their windows has cleared
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ with snow and ice on their screens
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ while trying to clear bugs from the glass with knackered wiper blades
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ while changing a CD, talking on the phone or adjusting the heating
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ with a cold, hayfever, when sleepy, hungover or with a headache
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ having left their specs on the kitchen table
Car drivers will drive at 50mph+ for many years between eye checks

I`m kinda guessing we will never make all of the above against the law, so I like to take the stance that there may be several reasons why the car driver coming up behind me, or about to broadside me at a junction will not see me as clearly as someone with a clear screen and 20:20 vision. If I can help make that a safer bet with hi viz, reflectives and lights then I`m happy to be thought over cautious and a fashion void!

Ride safe

Bob_about

eclectic_bike

Pedelecer
May 3, 2011
A lot of interesting comments. If I've learnt one thing it's that orange Dayglo is preferable overall; something I had not thought about previously.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Bob:

Couldn't agree more with all your points. Absolutely spot on.

I'll be PMing you shortly about the one-eyed business, as my situation is an almost precise parallel to yours, and I'd like to hear how you swung it.

Allen.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I remember some burk once wrote (not on here, by the way) that his choice was to ride a black bike wearing black clothing, and if I didn't like it, that was tough.
Actually this "burk" did write something similar in here. The name of the game to be seen is the largest area of a single colour, and since tyres are normally black, making everything else black as well fulfills that desirable objective.

The one thing we don't want for safety is camouflage, and that as we all know consists of broken areas of various colours, able to blend well with the riot of colours and tints of town and country backgrounds.

So my preference is firmly for all-black, relying on effective lighting at night time. Having never worn any hi-viz and never knocked off motorbike or bike in over 64 years, I can't be getting it too wrong.