Visibility

Bob_about

Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2009
Warks/Glos Border
Bob:

Couldn't agree more with all your points. Absolutely spot on.

I'll be PMing you shortly about the one-eyed business, as my situation is an almost precise parallel to yours, and I'd like to hear how you swung it.

Allen.
Hi Allen
Return PM sent - not so much about swinging it, more to do with just one eye working at the time of the tests so little real option!
The whole experience though does make you realise just how poor some peoples vision can be and they still hold a licence and continue to drive. Parking outside our village post office on a Thursday morning is often not to be recommended!!
Regards
Bob_about

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
How important is being visible to other road users to you? I always try and wear a fluorescent jacket or tabard but I am amazed at how many like to wear clothes that that you would think were designed to maximise invisibility. Is this:

going too far?
Like yourself, I prefer to wear a hi vis jacket on the roads. I just feel a lot safer and know that drivers who might not be paying full attention are more likely to see me. They hardly cost anything, and I think it's a must have item for cyclists, probably more useful than a helmet but no doubt I'll get criticised for saying that!

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Actually this "burk" did write something similar in here. The name of the game to be seen is the largest area of a single colour, and since tyres are normally black, making everything else black as well fulfills that desirable objective.

The one thing we don't want for safety is camouflage, and that as we all know consists of broken areas of various colours, able to blend well with the riot of colours and tints of town and country backgrounds.

So my preference is firmly for all-black, relying on effective lighting at night time. Having never worn any hi-viz and never knocked off motorbike or bike in over 64 years, I can't be getting it too wrong.
As did this "burk" here:rolleyes:

I've seen people wearing hi vis knocked flying or nearly crushed in various situations. It seems sometimes people just don't process the things they are seeing and no amount of bright visual cues is going to help. Or worse, you know you have been seen and are just ignored with drivers pretending you aren't there.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I remember some burk once wrote (not on here, by the way) that his choice was to ride a black bike wearing black clothing, and if I didn't like it, that was tough.

Round here the mood is different!
Well, I was wrong, wasn't I.

A.