Volt range of e-bikes.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Lisburn Co Antrim Northern Ireland UK
I bought a Volt Pulse just over a year ago, i would still buy the same model again if mine got nicked, my only issue is with my local dealer who isn't going to get any more of my business!
Glad you agree about the Pulse bike but sorry to hear about the dealer.
Can I say that when we were on our travels researching we were disappointed to find that several dealers (there aren't very many to start with) gave the impression that were selling e-bikes because they felt the market was beginning to demand that they did rather than because they as conventional cycle dealers actually wanted to.

Last edited:

mike adams

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2016
edinburgh
I'm seeing more and more electric bikes on my travels, i've yet to see another pulse though, my issue with the dealer was with his employees rather than him, i bought mine through a cycle to work scheme so saved £250, everyone who's had a shot of it has been pleasantly surprised by it, i was a keen cyclist anyway but 12 miles each way to work was too much for me working at least 12 hours each shift!

Reactions: TedG

Roobarb

Aug 5, 2017
Renfrewshire
I tried a Volt Kensington on holiday I enjoyed it and it was what made me decide to buy an electric bike but I felt it was quite expensive for what it was and wouldn't have bought one.

• Informative

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
The Volt website say they are a British manufacturer. I assumed that the frames and parts are British made. Perhaps the motors are imported from China. Can someone confirm this?

D

Deleted member 4366

The cheaper models have Chinese motors. Shimano is made wherever they make them. I'd be very surprised if the whole bike isn't made in China. The British company is just an importer.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Yes, but in this case, there was no comparison done between the Wisper and Oxygen bikes vs the Volt. If it had been done, the Volt might not seem such good value for money. Value is exactly what's holding back the Volt. As I said, they're lovely bikes, but I reckon that you can get better alternatives cheaper. Better and cheaper means better value.

The question was why they don't get mentioned much. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out. If they were good value, everybody would be buying them and raving about them on this forum. The fact that they don't, should tell you something. The fact that OP can afford to pay double what a bike is worth is irrelevant. OK, he's happy with his bike. There's no reason not to be, but had he bought a Wisper or anything else, he might have been happier. On the other hand, if Volt bikes are the only bikes that his only local dealer sell, then that would be a compelling logical reason to buy one (or two).
Might I disagree on semantics.. cost is an objective measurement. Value is a subjective decision. To the poster, the fact that there are two trouble free years of service, that the cost was affordable, that the product was available, that the bike shop is agreeable, have all fed into his value decision.
When I was in the public service, I had to make decisions on cost grounds and only if I could identify sufficient good reasons for disregarding the lowest quote could I do so.

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Had a look at the range of Volt bikes and have to say they look pretty much on the cutting edge of technology as far as ebikes go.
The Infinity seems to be equipped with the Steps crank drive, along with the Shimano Alfine 11 speed DI-2 internal hub with electronic gearing.
Weighing in at 19kgs and an RRP of £2699 it`s not that out of place in the market.

Looks good to!

infinity-hybrid-ebike-diagonal.jpg

Reactions: Roobarb and TedG

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
Had a look at the range of Volt bikes and have to say they look pretty much on the cutting edge of technology as far as ebikes go.
The Infinity seems to be equipped with the Steps crank drive, along with the Shimano Alfine 11 speed DI-2 internal hub with electronic gearing.
Weighing in at 19kgs and an RRP of £2699 it`s not that out of place in the market.

Looks good to!

View attachment 20897
Well my friend you have discovered what I found two seasons ago.
That is indeed my bike and everything you say is correct apart from the price which was £2499 back then.
Two year warranty and prompt and polite replies to any emails to the company in London. I have obviously no links to the company so I can give an impartial view that Lyle Metcalfe is a top bloke who always found time to ring me with a reply to the couple of questions I had at the beginning.
When I asked him why Volt didn't seem as popular as the quality of products should have demanded he admitted that advertising was a financial killer and they had to keep a rein on it.
I can honestly say that I have no complaints with this bike and as an ex-engineer I know that the workmanship is superb compared to the other couple of makes I was able to try.
I was in the motor trade for a long time and I know there are cars and there are cars. All will do a similar job, some just do it better.

IMO of course.

Last edited:

PeterCo

May 6, 2015
I have a Volt Metro folding bike. We use it extensively on our narrowboat. Three years old now with no problems. Good range for me. I can confidently plan for twenty to thirty miles knowing there will be some left in the battery as a reserve.
The bike is well made and quite well put together. I like the stainless fittings.
I managed to break the key off in the battery lock some while ago and I sent it to Volt for help. It was returned and repaired very promptly indeed.
I would recommend the firm.
Keep the tires pumped up hard. I had a puncture in the first week in the Lake District.....none since luckily.
I've done many hundreds of miles so far.
No rust appearing anywhere. The only wear is the derailleur protecting guard which bent lifting it onto the boat.

PeterCo

May 6, 2015
I should have also mentioned that the display only shows kph and not mph so I solved this by buying an aldi cycle computer for a fiver. It's slightly easier to reset the odometer also.
I imagine that three years on Volt will have sorted this issue for the UK market.

• Informative

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
I should have also mentioned that the display only shows kph and not mph so I solved this by buying an aldi cycle computer for a fiver. It's slightly easier to reset the odometer also.
I imagine that three years on Volt will have sorted this issue for the UK market.
Yes both of ours came set for KPH but there is a menu setting option to alter this to MPH which we did.
As you say tyre pressures have been kept to 90psi in accordance with the range marked on the sidewalls.

Crockers

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2014
If they could intergrate the battery more into the down tube then it would look even better.

I see they have a joint marketing tie with Wallerang. I prefer the frame geometry of the Wallerang.

• Informative

MRMAC9

Pedelecer
May 24, 2015
The new Volt Axia small-wheeled folding bike bike looks interesting but at the premium price of nearly £3k.

TedG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 8, 2017
The new Volt Axia small-wheeled folding bike bike looks interesting but at the premium price of nearly £3k.
That actually looks very tasty for anyone in the market for a decent folding bike.
After experiencing the quality of my Infinity that little gem looks the business and with the extra features over mine I think it seems splendid.
Agree about the high price though which would be off putting in many cases.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For that money the Gocycle looks the biz.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Can't argue with that. There is some superb stuff out there and it can only get better. Wish I was ten years younger!
Yep, the choice of rides is quite mind boggling a range and style to suit every pocket.

• Agree