Voltbike Pulse with Bafang hub motor derestrict help

ampy

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 24, 2023
Hi All,

I just bought a Voltbike Pulse, it has a Bafang hub motor RM G020.250.DC. I'd like it to go a little faster and I'm looking for the best way to derestrict it. I can't seem to see any service mode I can enter to adjust anything on the display. Would I need to replace the controller and display with ones that can be modified or is there another way.
Thanks for any information.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Volt bikes are always locked down in the controller firmware. I’ve two of them (a 6-year-old pulse and a 3-year-old metro) which originally had two different versions of display and neither could be made any faster with the OEM setup. I ended up changing everything but the motors to KT kit with sine wave power control. The original kit is speed control which in my opinion is inferior. I’m surprised you have a Bafang motor as my two and others I have seen have always been Shengyi motors.

ampy

Mar 24, 2023
Volt bikes are always locked down in the controller firmware. I’ve two of them (a 6-year-old pulse and a 3-year-old metro) which originally had two different versions of display and neither could be made any faster with the OEM setup. I ended up changing everything but the motors to KT kit with sine wave power control. The original kit is speed control which in my opinion is inferior. I’m surprised you have a Bafang motor as my two and others I have seen have always been Shengyi motors.
Oh that's interesting! Can you give me a link to the KT kit as I think that would be an option for me. Would swapping out the controller and display be "plug and play" or would I need to solder and crimp wires? I ask because it's brand new and if I need to get it repaired/serviced I would need to swap the original parts back in for that.
Can you recommend anywhere when I can read or a youtube channel that shows how the controller, display, BMS etc all work together, my hobby is electronics and computers so should be ok for me.
It's deffo a Bafang motor, see the attached pic.

Attachments

ampy

Mar 24, 2023
My wife's Volt Pulse 2015 - 2022 had a Spin Tech motor - AKA Bafang??
Yes, that's the same as me. The Volt bikes guy said that they partnered with Bafang and created there own system called SpinTech, not really sure how that affects anything, it looks like standard OEM stuff with SpinTech written on it.

davell

Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Doncaster
Mine are also spintech which I believe is volt branding. I suppose they change suppliers as they see fit. Motors are pretty standard with the same plug so the make doesn’t really matter. Assuming they still use waterproof Juliet plugs then yes, it’s plug and play for most components. The only soldering I had to do was the controller to battery base. I wouldn’t consider doing this until the warranty was up as you would no doubt invalidate this if you cut any wires.
I used this controller which fits in the compartment under the battery.
You can select which components you require with it on the same page. The existing throttle, brake switches etc didn’t work with the new controller as the pin-outs were different.
Is yours the new pulse with integrated battery as it may not be the same? At 6-years-old I have the old type with battery behind the seat post.

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
The problem with modifying manufactured bikes like yours is that everything is nicely integrated, so when you try to modify them with 3rd party components you have to sacrifice all of the nice aesthetics when you start bolting on different batteries and controllers with their associated wiring.

Your current controller is probably integrated into the battery cradle, so you will have to find somewhere else to mount a new controller and then have to find a way of connecting your existing battery to the new controller. And your battery may only work with your current controller.

Also If you are looking for a speed increase then you will need to find somewhere else to put a 48v or 52 v battery because it won’t fit into your current cradle

It is unlikely that the kit parts will have the same connectors as your existing set up and even if some of them are the same you will end up having to cut some and remake the ends. Specifically pedal assist and motor cables.

Kits are ideal to convert an ordinary bike into an e-bike, but not really suitable to convert an e-bike like the volt into a more powerful e-bike.

Last edited:

AGS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2023
Spin tech is far more than branding. It is how the motor, controller, battery and display are all integrated.

ampy

Mar 24, 2023
Mine are also spintech which I believe is volt branding. I suppose they change suppliers as they see fit. Motors are pretty standard with the same plug so the make doesn’t really matter. Assuming they still use waterproof Juliet plugs then yes, it’s plug and play for most components. The only soldering I had to do was the controller to battery base. I wouldn’t consider doing this until the warranty was up as you would no doubt invalidate this if you cut any wires.
You can select which components you require with it on the same page. The existing throttle, brake switches etc didn’t work with the new controller as the pin-outs were different.
Is yours the new pulse with integrated battery as it may not be the same? At 6-years-old I have the old type with battery behind the seat post.
Thanks Davell! I'll check it out, but it seems to be in USD, maybe I'll look around and see if I can get it in the UK.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Every thing is in china so forget uk sellers unless you like paying double or triple the price of the same item.

ampy

Mar 24, 2023
Did this controller also power the lights on the bike, because I don't see the connections for them. Mine is the Pulse with the battery in the down tube (not behind the seat post)