Voodoo

Cyder

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 22, 2024
Hi. First post
I have a 2023 voodoo bizango pro that I am looking to electrify.... I commute 100 miles a week so ideally would want a hub motor, BUT can you get a 29er boost width hub wheel kit?
Thanks

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I will have them later in the year.
Why don't you look at bottom bbracket motors like the Tongsheng TSDZ8?

Last edited:

Cyder

Apr 22, 2024
I also have a 1x12 cassette which I have heard won't really be suitable for a mid drive?

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
I also have a 1x12 cassette which I have heard won't really be suitable for a mid drive?
The TSDZ8 (and TSDZ2B) comes with 5-bolt BCD chainring that is suitable for up to 10-speed cassettes which you can replace if necessary.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Bizango is a very capable MTB. Do you use it as intended or for commute only?
I have 29" mtb with front hub. Works very well, but not for off road.

Cyder

Apr 22, 2024
I would use it solely for commute, but it's definitely abused and jumped around and the roads here are terrible

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I would use it solely for commute, but it's definitely abused and jumped around and the roads here are terrible
Roads are terrible everywhere in UK.
I would go with TSDZ8 if I were you. Just in case you were tempted to go off-road. Bizango is a proper MTB. Maybe you should consider some weekend trips?

Cyder

Apr 22, 2024
Yeah , the truth is , I have 4 bikes already and I would rather convert than add to the collection

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
By all means go for it. Bizango is a fantastic bike. Whatever you decide I am sure you will be happy with conversion.

Cyder

Apr 22, 2024
With the miles I do each week, I will be changing chains and cassettes every 3 months?

thelarkbox

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2023
oxon
Not an engineer!, However having re-laced a rear hub motor into a new rim last year, I can honestly say the only tricky element in the process (after youtube preparation) was sourcing the correct size(length) spokes for the job (thank you amazon prime no quibble returns.. 3 x, it took me!.. ) actual true-ing of the wheel isnt that hard at all.. and i used the front forks of the upturned bike as my 'pro wheel stand'

It just turns a diy conversion into a 2 afternoon job rather than just the one..

If something your up for im sure the bods in the know can recommend a suitable hub motor for your bike.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

i have eagle axs 12spd on my bosch mid drive bike

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I am beginning to think it's a shame to butcher a very good MTB
My viewpoint is there is such a good array of potential donor bikes available on Marketplace / Ebay / Gumtree that it is worth just getting a donor bike that will make the conversion easy - usually a hardly used older bike which isn't too high tech but has disc brakes , preferably hydraulic, air forks (if you want suspension forks) , plenty of space on the downtube for the battery and a "normal" square taper bottom bracket, 8 or 9 (or possibly 10) speed rear cassette - they are cheap compared with the conversion costs and it will make things so much easier

Last edited:

Cyder

Apr 22, 2024
I actually have looked at the pure one belt drive bike, it would certainly be a good bet for the miles I do. It's singlespeed which is making me wary tho....does anyone have any experience of this bike?

Peter.Bridge

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 19, 2023
I actually have looked at the pure one belt drive bike, it would certainly be a good bet for the miles I do. It's singlespeed which is making me wary tho....does anyone have any experience of this bike?

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
With the miles I do each week, I will be changing chains and cassettes every 3 months?
No. Keep it clean and oiled, share wear across two or three chains to extend cassette life, and don't ride full power in the same gear all the time. Then expect 2,000 to 3,000 miles per chain and double for the cassette. So two chains and a cassette per year, a front chain ring every 18 months to 3 years.

You can down-spec to suit your commute and use cheaper components - 9 speed is often fine for a non-extreme road commute.

Reactions: Peter.Bridge