VW electric folding bike

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
They Are VW if it suits them they will change the law in Europe so a car driver can drive on the same license as his car and it will be covered by his car insurance he / she will have to ware a helmet

Frank

lectureral

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 30, 2007
Suva, Fiji
It's not always so easy - I remember BMW produced a covered moped (C1?) which they believed could be ridden legally without a helmet - I think it may have been in some countries but never in the UK despite, presumably, some big-business pressure.

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
Bmw C1

BMW produced their C1 Scooter with a harness and as expected on the Continent this machine could be ridden without a helmet . BMW reckoned without the powers that be over here and failed to get their way . It required a helmet here and that`s partly why it failed in the UK . This was about 12 years ago and I had a test ride of about 15 miles on one .It was really aimed at non two wheeled riders and I found it extremely top heavy , it certainly caused a stir riding it down the main street here in Barry .
BMW have an electric version as far as I know and perhaps could get it over here as we are more subservient to European Laws now .They could cite the Human Rights Act or discrimination against German Industry , a bit like the French refusing to have our beef .They were fined under the EEU rules , but I never heard of them paying the fine .
Only we follow the rules and pay up like the decent / read stupid people that we are in the UK .

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The UK is certainly stupid in being the only country in Europe that can't be bothered to make a helmet exemption for the BMW C1, but we are not the only ones to pay fines. That other countries have to do as well.

Volkswagen have been subject to a pair of huge EU fines for anti-competition type offences. The last one was €31 million (£20 million), and it was enforced by the European court when VW's appeal was rejected.

Even the mighty Microsoft has been subject to EU anti-competition fines, which now total to date €1.35 billions ($2.038 billions). That's enough to make even their eyes water.