Wait, Wait, Wait

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Now the warmer weather is on us, and I can see more people starting to use their bikes around the Streets, I find the waiting for my Pro-Connect even more hard to cope with !
How about anyone else who is waiting for their ebike to come ?

Got all my kit, everything prepared. As I say "just add the bike and stir".

Nearly week 16. I'll have a mad fit if it's delayed further.
Fingers crossed everyone!

musicbooks

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2007
Now the warmer weather is on us, and I can see more people starting to use their bikes around the Streets, I find the waiting for my Pro-Connect even more hard to cope with !
How about anyone else who is waiting for their ebike to come ?

Got all my kit, everything prepared. As I say "just add the bike and stir".

Nearly week 16. I'll have a mad fit if it's delayed further.
Fingers crossed everyone!
I'll cross as many things as I can find for you all.. mind you, you probably don't want to hear from me.. I'm the twenty two week guy!:eek:

After all my ranting.. I am so far very very pleased with my bike.. and 50cycles have been bending over backwards to help.. with free panniers and lots of instant correspondence from Lloyd.

BW
musicbooks

S

stokepa31

I have passed beyond excited and am approching the point where my head will just explode. I pray to the god of manufacturing before bed every night and am writing to the factory to tell them that i've been a really good boy this year so please deliver my pro connect before the end of April.

The fact that my Torq is still in the menders means I am having to ride one of those new fangled human pedal powered things. most annoying as one seems to be constantly buggered upon arrival at ones place of employment.

I am constantly looking at kit and am currenty drooling over a satmap active 10 so that i will know where i'm going on those long weekend rides that me and my new wonderbike will go on together.

P

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Im sure I've said before Stokepa31.
Go for the etrex, serial cable, etrex bike stand and Fugawi mapping software.
All together its £162 and its a great piece of kit combined.
I love my etrex. Had it for years and its as tuff as a brick.

Save your money.

Last edited:
S

stokepa31

Does it have an sd slot for maps and does it support actual 1:25000 os landranger maps. also is it colour?

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Does it have an sd slot for maps and does it support actual 1:25000 os landranger maps. also is it colour?
No, no SD slot. The Fugawi software supports 1:50,000 maps.
You can buy the etrex in colour, but i'd advise the mono, cheapest one.
I've been using mapping software and GPS for years and believe me for the money this is the best.

More upmarket you may as well get a tuff, waterproof PDA Paul with Built in GPS. Then add TOMTOM. With a earplug in it would give you directions in your ear as you cycle.
I have a Dell, CF Gps and TOMTOM. It isnt waterproof, but if I put it in my pocket it will do it all the same instead of being on the handlebar.
You can use it in the car too!

S

stokepa31

Cheers mate i'll look into it. Ive got a tom tom go but its quite bulky and heavy to be honest i wouldnt risk it on my bike. I use it for work weekly and it also does my hands free phone so i'd be buggered if it got damaged.

sabretache

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 5, 2008
Derbyshire
Im sure I've said before Stokepa31.
Go for the etrex, serial cable, etrex bike stand and Fugawi mapping software.
All together its £162 and its a great piece of kit combined.
I love my etrex. Had it for years and its as tuff as a brick.
I've had an Etrex Vista for about 5 years now. Used to use it regularly hunting on horseback. When out with an unfamiliar pack and area it was easy to find my self maybe 10 miles from the horsebox in unfamiliar country with dusk falling. The Etrex was a godsend on such occasions. Like I said in my intro, I can't ride horses anymore but I do intend to use the Etrex when I get my Pro-Connect (yep - another one on order and waiting). I've got the Mapsource European Roads & Recreation Maps loaded and I always found them quite adequate. Also used to download my rambling routes onto a 'Memory Map Navigator' map on the PC as a historical record (never found a way of uploading the MM Nav maps to the Etrex unfortunately).

A few points:

1. I found battery life to be a bit inadequate. I needed a spare set (2 a AA's rechargeable or alkeline) for a full day's riding (about 5 hours).

2. The facilities are comprehensive with a good full-function trip computer, Compass and altimeter linked to rate of climb/descent functions and easily zoomable map display.

3. The display is a bit small and the controls can be fiddly until you get thoroughly familiar with them

4. The unit is genuinely fully waterproof (I've had it sitting in a hunt coat pocket full of water and used in the foulest of weather on numerous occasions with no damage done).

Do you know Where can I get a handlebar mount that is certain to fit and carry the unit securely?

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
Hi Burncycle,

You may remember that I'm waiting for a Pro Connect too. I must admit that after the initial disappointment when we were first informed about the delay, week 16 seemed so far away that I sort of got used to the idea it wasn't coming for a while and pushed it to the back of my mind. Also the weather has been largely crappy where I live in Hertfordshire so I haven't been too sore about waiting. However, as you say, the weather's picking up now and I'm raring to go!

I am really pleased that the Aggatus have been delivered - not just for those who received them but also because it has boosted my confidence about the forthcoming delivery of Pro Connects. Musicbook's photo of the cross bar Aggatu really shows the bike to good effect - it looks great, but I'm still pleased I went for the Pro Connect - which definitely does look more sporty and lean.

At the end of the day, they'll come when the come - let's just hope its sooner rather than later. One thing I do know is that when mine finally does arrive, it will have at least 30 miles on the clock within 24 hours.

Chris

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Hi Burncycle,

Musicbook's photo of the cross bar Aggatu really shows the bike to good effect - it looks great, but I'm still pleased I went for the Pro Connect - which definitely does look more sporty and lean.

Chris
It certainly does and also must be stiffer than the step through I suppose. But that said I believe myself that the step through is the better option. It is just so practical, and the stiffness is such that I'm sure elaborate equipment would be needed to measure the difference. I would actually suggest to anyone not concerned about the "lady's bike" appearance that they should get the step through. And of course the postmen have long accustomed us to accepting the idea of men riding bikes without crossbars.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I agree there Tony, the Agattu is about as stiff a step-through frame as I've ever met, and puts most of them to shame. It doesn't lose out in any way to a crossbar version, so it just comes down to style and/or convenience of use.

S

stokepa31

I agree too Tony. I don't see a stigma attached to a man on a step-through. Its down to personal choice at the end of the day. The bike I tested was a step through Agattu and it was very stiff and very good:)

Regards
Paul

C

Cyclezee

Just spoke to Lloyd at 50c and enquired about the the 53cm Agattu I ordered.
He said they are currently being manufactured and should be with them in approximately 2 weeks, so looks like it could be week 16.
He did apologise for being unable to give a more accurate date.

John

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Total agree with Tony, Flecc and Paul regarding the superior practicality of the step-through versus the crossbar.

I think there is still a bit of a stigma about riding what some of the younger forum members would consider to be an "old man's bike" which is why there has been such a clamour for the crossbar Agattu.

Understandable because if you think you look cool it all adds to the overall riding experiance we enjoy so much.

tgame

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2007
Felixstowe
www.axst45.dsl.pipex.com
Total agree with Tony, Flecc and Paul regarding the superior practicality of the step-through versus the crossbar.

I think there is still a bit of a stigma about riding what some of the younger forum members would consider to be an "old man's bike" which is why there has been such a clamour for the crossbar Agattu.

Understandable because if you think you look cool it all adds to the overall riding experiance we enjoy so much.
You sum it up well, Kenny. I was sticking an oar in to suggest to those who are no longer bothered about their "image" that in fact the step through has large advantages of convenience without sacrificing very much efficiency at all.

I wonder if anyone will agree with me that it is actually fractionally safer? In any sort of emergency stop I suspect one could dismount while maintaining one's balance in a way that a crossbar would prohibit.

Of course I'm still in love with my Agattu as everyone will realise!

burncycle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 13, 2008
Sheffield
Just spoke to Lloyd at 50c and enquired about the the 53cm Agattu I ordered.
He said they are currently being manufactured and should be with them in approximately 2 weeks, so looks like it could be week 16.
He did apologise for being unable to give a more accurate date.

John
I hope that doesn't mean the end of week 16 into week 17.
50cycles said everyone should have their bikes by "the end of week 16"
2 weeks from now is 17th April (Thursday).
I will NOT be a happy Bunny if thats the case, and its into week 17.
The Pro-Connect has already been delayed from the 14th March, its initial delivery date was for February when it first appeared on the website.

count to 10 Bob, count to 10.

Last edited:

Larkspur

Pedelecer
Feb 19, 2008
S.W. Herts
One thing is certain (as illustrated by the great helmet debate) we all have different opinions and preferences. You pay your money and you take your choice. No doubt I'll begin to appreciate the superior practicality of the step through Afggatu once I've finished having my mid-life crisis and matured somewhat ;)

One thing we do all have in common though is our discovery of electric bikes -which are still very rare. I just think they are such a brilliant transport solution - but many dyed in the wool cyclists (who drive their cars to work) wouldn't touch them with a barge pole - even though they know they can't face the daily commute on a normal bike every day.

Roll on week 16

Chris