Wanted: bike storage solutions

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I live in a v.small London flat, and manage to get my bike inside my front door, where it is, sometimes, a pain in the ass.

Alternative is carting it up some steps, down some steps, then downhill along 40 yards of manky garden path, to my shed. Bringing it back is harder, obviously.

Has anyone any zany/creative solutions to bike storage (no I don't want to move...)

A (Wisper 905)

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
Get a smaller bike. A Brompton is the smallest when folded but even a compact bike like the Kalkhoff Sahel Compact would get in the way less.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Rather the same as member cwah's problem, and not too different from my own at times Allen.

The only suggestion i can make is a bike storage bin if there's a narrow space for one, this Google link shows some. The 6' x 3' illustrated one might do the job, depending on the length of the Wisper. Costly though, and six feet is often marginal for a rear-of-seatpost battery e-bike. The 3' x 7' wooden one will definitely be ok and is much cheaper.

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm keeping my small dahon jetstream in door.

But I'm planning to convert some cheap bikes so no one steal it outdoor:

This one has been on the street for 2 months now... all parts are still there

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Maybe the day I'll be a landlord and live in a bigger place...

D

Deleted member 4366

I was just going to say that too. My German friend has three bikes in the hallway of his flat. He simply loosens the two clamp screws and turns the handlebars in line with the bike. It takes about 30 seconds to do it, and another 30 secs to straighten them. A pair of folding pedals also gets them out of the way. The bike is then very flat.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There are two types of folding handlebar too, maybe not easy to source though.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Thanks for the useful replies. Maybe moving is a good answer, as - just to share the reason why we don't stick our bikes behind our big lockable side gates - this is what our (nicely secure) side alley looks like - and there's two bins MISSING! Good old L.Borough of Brent.

bins.JPG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dreadful Allen, my area too. The whole country has been made to look a terribly untidy mess due to the near universal introduction of compulsory wheelie-bins. They really are an environmental eyesore, and the production of all that plastic to make them is environmental idiocy.

Worse still, we don't even make those simple things, we mainly import them from Germany.

Reactions: wissy

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Dreadful Allen, my area too. The whole country has been made to look a terribly untidy mess due to the near universal introduction of compulsory wheelie-bins. They really are an environmental eyesore, and the production of all that plastic to make them is environmental idiocy.

Worse still, we don't even make those simple things, we mainly import them from Germany.
What else can we have rather than plastic bins?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Plastic dustbins used far less material and were not as obtrusive. My estate of over 3000 homes was designed with dustbin cupboards and compartments, hiding them from view. Now we have these eyesores they have to be on show all the time often on front gardens and disfiguring what was once a very attractive estate. The addition of numerous coloured plastic recycling boxes on the same gardens adds to the shambles.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
Plastic dustbins used far less material and were not as obtrusive. My estate of over 3000 homes was designed with dustbin cupboards and compartments, hiding them from view. Now we have these eyesores they have to be on show all the time often on front gardens and disfiguring what was once a very attractive estate. The addition of numerous coloured plastic recycling boxes on the same gardens adds to the shambles.
Now, if just one of those art students who keep designing awful looking bikes would turn their attention to the wheelie bin!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Now, if just one of those art students who keep designing awful looking bikes would turn their attention to the wheelie bin!
I prefer what Paris used to do and may still do. They collected the rubbish bags daily, the collectors, often young, doing it literally on the run with the small light bags from each property. No dustbins or wheelie bins needed so no waste plastic.

Combine that with Denmark's rubbish solution of incinerating it all in modern clean emission stations to generate electricity and the landfill problem is largely solved too.

Some hope of such good sense in this confused country though.

mike killay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 17, 2011
I prefer what Paris used to do and may still do. They collected the rubbish bags daily, the collectors, often young, doing it literally on the run with the small light bags from each property. No dustbins or wheelie bins needed so no waste plastic.

Combine that with Denmark's rubbish solution of incinerating it all in modern clean emission stations to generate electricity and the landfill problem is largely solved too.

Some hope of such good sense in this confused country though.
Flecc.
The first rule of British Politics.
Kick the can down the road if you are able.
Let someone else deal with the problem.

Reactions: flecc