WANTED Second hand Torq **FOUND ALTERNATIVE**

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Hi SOLD

I have a Torq 3 months old, as new: looks just the same as when I took it out of the box.
If your terrain is flat to middleing it will be great. If its very hilly I would not sell it to you. £800 and its yours. (just bought Forza). This entry is not relivant aaannndddyyy has price ceiling.

Cheers David

Last edited:

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
used Torq for sale

Hi anyone out there selling there torq in the near future, I am looking at buying have cash willing to travel
Selling a bike is a protracted business. I got bored with my first attempts. Plenty of Interest - no action!
Where are you situated? I'm in Mere, South Wilts, bang on the A303.
My Torq is.
AgeBought July 2006
Mileage 500
Upgrades:
Lower gearing: 12 - 32 Shimano Cassette; Alivio Rear mech; 44 Chainwheel. Range 39 to 104 gear inches
New Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tyres
Handlebar Mirror (works like a dream)
Handlebar switch for "Turbo" (derestricting for 'off-road use')
Asking £750
Let me know if you are interested or not as the case may be.
Peter

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Asking Price Too High?

Maybe the asking price is too high. :)
Are you interested in the bike?

It cost £ 1195 <500 miles ago. Was used very little (about 20 miles) in the winter.
It has £100 worth of upgrades/extras. New Lithium battery 17th May 2007 (old one died prematurely).
A Sprint 7 which cost £925 two years two months ago and had done 1940 miles went for £600 on eBay Last week.
Anyone who wants a nearly (virtually) new Torq can save £ 545.
Peter

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Are you interested in the bike?

Peter
Hello Peter

Sorry to confuse, I'm not in a position to buy a Torq yet as I really have to wait until my current electric bike has paid for itself (in petrol savings) before I can justify spending on a new one. I've actually discovered my 24V kit can run at 36V and has similar performance (from what I've read) to a Torq so for the time being I'll stick with what I have.

My suggestion of the price being to high was based on the fact that many people may have access to the cycle to work scheme and thus would be able to purchase a Torq for about £500-£600 or thereabouts. You don't pay VAT, tax or NI on the purchase through the scheme, and you can pay monthly.

Have you considered putting it on ebay? I'm sure it'd sell very easily and for a good price there.

Paul

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
All that glisters is not gold!

Hello Peter

Sorry to confuse, I'm not in a position to buy a Torq yet as I really have to wait until my current electric bike has paid for itself (in petrol savings) before I can justify spending on a new one. I've actually discovered my 24V kit can run at 36V and has similar performance (from what I've read) to a Torq so for the time being I'll stick with what I have.

My suggestion of the price being to high was based on the fact that many people may have access to the cycle to work scheme and thus would be able to purchase a Torq for about £500-£600 or thereabouts. You don't pay VAT, tax or NI on the purchase through the scheme, and you can pay monthly.

Have you considered putting it on ebay? I'm sure it'd sell very easily and for a good price there.

Paul
From a posting to another member:
I am here again: I have studied the C to W Scheme (as best one can, seing the explanations as to how the scheme works are far from complete).
It does not apply to the self-employed, pensioners and (perhaps not entirely relevant by the circumstances of the individual) those who do not pay tax and NIC. Nor to those whose wage after deducting repayments would be less than the statutory minimum.
A bike costing £1195 (a Torq) plus £100 worth of extras (£1295), would get a reduction of VAT (reclaimed by the Employer - provided he (the employer) was (a) registered for VAT and (b) not an exempt business - like Insurance, etc. i.e £193.
The balance, £1102 would be repayable over 18 months at £61-20 per month less Tax @ 20% (£12-24) and NIC @ 11% (6-70) = Net Instalment £42-26 per month x 18 = £ 761. Add bullet payment to finish £50-00: Total Cost £811.
Of course the Employer would have to be prepared to finance the scheme (it does not work with a single payment unless you are the CEO of a FTSE 100 Company):D
If the financing was farmed out (see 50 Cycles experience with grindingly slow payment) there would have to be finance charges added at something like 15% a.p.r. or more (you know what HP Charges are like).

Not quite so rosy after applying the rules. I hope all employers don't mind the hassle of setting the scheme up. Many have some difficulty with the administration of PAYE.

Pity you are not in the market for my Torq, you sound like a nice bloke who deserves a bargain :D - I will try eBay: I'm working out some protection from the bidding culture that favours the buyer too much.

Peter

allotmenteer

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
Aldershot, Hampshire
Hello Peter

Isn't lower rate tax 22% still? Also if you're on the 40% higher rate tax (which isn't unusual these days, soon we all will be if Gordon Brown gets his way) then the savings are quite substantial, roughly 50%. I figured £1195 * 50% is about £600. If 50cycles run the £100 discount again (or even the £50 off for forum members) then it's a bit less.

Stick it on ebay with a reserve price if necessary and see what happens. Better to recoup some money for it now than wait too long and suffer further depreciation. I've let several things go on ebay for a bit less than the best price I thought I could get but c'est la vie. At least the items are not cluttering the house / shed any more.

On reflection though, considering not everyone can do the cycle scheme £750 is a fair price for it and I do hope you achieve it.

Good luck

Paul

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
There's maths and maths

Hello Peter

Isn't lower rate tax 22% still? Also if you're on the 40% higher rate tax (which isn't unusual these days, soon we all will be if Gordon Brown gets his way) then the savings are quite substantial, roughly 50%. I figured £1195 * 50% is about £600. If 50cycles run the £100 discount again (or even the £50 off for forum members) then it's a bit less.

Paul
Thank you Paul for your good wishes.
I don't think a Superfluous Torq would "clutter" up my garage. The car has never been in it - it's a warehouse anyway. We have, (will have when I get the new Sprint), 4 cycles. Plenty of choice, including a manpower driver one.
There should not be many Higher Rater Taxpayers who would be attracted by the paltry saving over £400 on a Torq. That is to say you do have to be rich to pay 40% tax - it is only on the top slice and there are so many other tax saving schemes.
You could find yourself in trouble, from the red brigade, with that remark about Gordon Brown. He's a 'lovely' man who has done a lot of good for the less well off ............. don't rush me, I'm thinking.
It is a fallacy that 17 1/2% VAT + 20% Tax (will be by the time the scheme gets off the ground for most employees, on most or all of it) + 11% NIC adds up to 50% (as it is perceived).
The Tax and NIC is 31% of the cost excluding VAT and VAT is not 17 1/2% - bear with me, this is the reality.
VAT is a fraction 17.5/117.5 = 14.89%.
On a big figure like a grand, these small differences combine to make a significant difference in money terms.
There is also the cost of Finance to be considered.

I don't think 50 Cycles will run the 'Discount' schemes again - I would not delay buying because they might. Their 'discount' philosophy is tempered by profitability in the first instance as it is with their other 'offers' to customers. There may not be any stock over-runs in this expanding electric bike market.

My asking price is pitched at the Self-employed and Pensioners. And anyone else who are 'poor' because they cannot participate in the C to W scheme. Quite a sizeable niche in the market.
The problem (one of them) with eBay is getting a viewing or a test of a bike in the 10 days during the auction. The majority of 'punters' will have to find out how good Torqs (eZee cycles) are. They have only got until the last 5 minutes, the most popular time to bid, to do so. :rolleyes:

Being ambivalent about selling the Torq is bound to have a providential effect on interest (but I will NOT renege on a deal, or indeed an offer of the asking price).
Cheers
Peter

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
There should not be many Higher Rater Taxpayers who would be attracted by the paltry saving over £400 on a Torq. That is to say you do have to be rich to pay 40% tax - it is only on the top slice and there are so many other tax saving schemes.

I hate to butt in on a conversation but just to say that as a person who is just into the 40% tax bracket I would never consider myself a rich person. Yes the 40% used to be only for the rich but not any more. Maybe it is bringing up a family in London but £400 would mean a hell of a lot to me at the moment. I would definitely use for the cycle to work scheme when it is time to replace my Torq (if only my employer would sign up!).

Good luck selling the Torq on ebay. If it is any consolation the last e-bike I sold that way did very well - far exceeding my expectations.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Butting In? No, just contributing!

I hate to butt in on a conversation but just to say that as a person who is just into the 40% tax bracket I would never consider myself a rich person. Yes the 40% used to be only for the rich but not any more. Maybe it is bringing up a family in London but £400 would mean a hell of a lot to me at the moment. I would definitely use for the cycle to work scheme when it is time to replace my Torq (if only my employer would sign up!).

Good luck selling the Torq on ebay. If it is any consolation the last e-bike I sold that way did very well - far exceeding my expectations.
You're not butting in - this is a Forum.
I am a pensioner whose tax affairs (why the hell am I exposing myself here? :eek:) are ship shape and, for want of Income, miles away from the Higher rate Bands. Of course I pay no NIC - that helps. No Mortgage, no Bank Loans, no dependant children. AND my wife's pension is taxed as a separate issue.
Bringing up a family in London must be a nightmare of rising costs and I can see how £400 would make a difference to you. The never-never might just help a little. So it's no use me saying my good-as-new Torq with its valuable modifications is cheaper than a new one even thru' the C to Work scheme if you are a higher rate tax payer. This C to W Cycle scheme could be like the monkey and the nut: grab the nut and you can't get your hand back thru the bars. (The deal is so attractive one cannot afford not to do it and the longer one waits the sooner it must come?). But if you've got a Torq you have no worries for many, many years: eZee Torq electric bicycle - winner of the first electric bike race from 50cycles :rolleyes:
I did anticipate that employers might just be a little reluctant to take on this hassle: In the short term, a cyclist keen to get into the scheme will be frustrated by the waiting time. I thought my Torq at the asking price was too good an opportunity for a Std rate taxpayer to pass up.
Summer is a marching on!
Nice to have your opinion.
Peter

silversurfer

Pedelecer
Jun 15, 2007
secondhand torq

Hi Pete, just reg. with this forum because I am interested in getting an electric bike. I am now a bit lacking in stamina, had a quad bypass 6 years ago and my calcium iron 'battery' is not what it used to be! electric bike may be the answer? Read a bit about electric bikes and the danger of getting a cheap and not so cheerful bike dumped out of an unknown Chinese container.Lots of bikes on Ebay but as you say no chance to try and I am not a gambler! As a hard up 65yr old I may qualify for your selling criteria?:) I am based on the Wirral (Cheshire) If you want to send me an email we may, if you wish corespond directly. Looks like a lot of useful info on this forum, I did a bit of research on the A to B bike magazine site so I am learning fast!

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Torq Direct.

Hi Pete, just reg. with this forum because I am interested in getting an electric bike. I am now a bit lacking in stamina, had a quad bypass 6 years ago and my calcium iron 'battery' is not what it used to be! electric bike may be the answer? Read a bit about electric bikes and the danger of getting a cheap and not so cheerful bike dumped out of an unknown Chinese container.Lots of bikes on Ebay but as you say no chance to try and I am not a gambler! As a hard up 65yr old I may qualify for your selling criteria?:) I am based on the Wirral (Cheshire) If you want to send me an email we may, if you wish corespond directly. Looks like a lot of useful info on this forum, I did a bit of research on the A to B bike magazine site so I am learning fast!
Hello Silversurfer:
Welcome! I am not such an old hand at this Forum. It was only started in (I think) October 2006, I bought my Torq on 19th July 2006 before the Forum was creating such a fund of knowledge of the good, the bad and the downright ugly.
If you want to get in touch with me directly I have no qualm with you having my e-address. I'll send it to you by private message: I don't want a lot of members offering to buy my Torq at the asking price :D giving me a problem of "spoilt for choice".
Check your messages on here.
Cheers
Peter

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Its july 1 - is it still available ?
thanks
Hi, mercman696. If you are referring to my Torq; yes it is still available, though I haven't really tried very hard to sell it. It is just the same as I described before.
You can contact me on the forum or by private mesage.

Cheers, David

SOLD

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Hello Mercman:
If it's my Torq you are referring to I am afraid it was sold yesterday.
Good hunting.
Peter
Peter,

Well done for selling the Torq at last. I hope you got a good price and I take it you didn't have to resort to ebay.

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
Sold my Torq

Peter,

Well done for selling the Torq at last. I hope you got a good price and I take it you didn't have to resort to ebay.
Yes, a good price. No, I did not resort to eBay - it was a private treaty sale. Can't say I am enamoured of ebay. The last 5 minutes of hectic bidding is hardly conducive in getting the BEST bid (like a real auction) though the catchment area is fantastic.
Peter