Warrington commuter

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Hello everyone, what a mine of useful information this site is - much respect!

I live and work in Warrington, with a 6.5 trip commute by bike that I've been doing most working days of the year for the past 10 years or so. It's pretty flat and it usually takes me a little under 30 mins, so average speed is 13 – 14 mph. Sadly my employers have decided to close the office early next year and relocate us to central Manchester. Faced with the prospect of an almost 20 mile ride each way I was initially resigned to becoming just another miserable sardine on the train, but then I had the brainwave of getting going electric. I started out with the idea of buying a pedelec, but then I tried one out and realised how hard it is to get them to go much faster than the 15.5mph where the pedal assistance cuts out – they weigh such a lot! That's not going to work for me: I'm looking for something that'll enable me to do the commute in about an hour (so average speed around 20 mph) without feeling exhausted at the end (though I'm quite willing to continue to put in the same amount of energy that I do now – in fact I'd want to).

Having browsed the forum it sounds as though a conversion based around a Q128c with a 48v battery would be an ideal solution – I've got a pretty nice Giant hybrid that would be the candidate, and my wife will be delighted that I'm not getting yet another bike (I've got 4)! I've already got a reasonably clear idea of what I think I want, but there are a few things I'd like to clarify. However, I’ll post those in the appropriate place in the forum. I look forward to the advice :)

Bye for now,
Dorab

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi Dorab
I do the trip daily from Warrington to Manchester...it's a really nice run. Takes just over an hour on my oxygen.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

• Informative
Reactions: LeighPing

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Hi Andy, thanks for allowing me to follow you on Strava :) It'll be great to compare notes on routes: I see you've done the A56 at least once and it looks as though you're going along the A57 quite a bit? Would be interested in your experiences of the traffic, as I'd generally steer clear of such routes, but maybe they're not as bad as I think they are.
Dorab

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Sorry should have added: my practical route experiences will be minimal until the start of next year, as that's when the move is anticipated to happen

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
Hi Andy, thanks for allowing me to follow you on Strava :) It'll be great to compare notes on routes: I see you've done the A56 at least once and it looks as though you're going along the A57 quite a bit? Would be interested in your experiences of the traffic, as I'd generally steer clear of such routes, but maybe they're not as bad as I think they are.
Dorab
No problem ;)

Yes, when I moved to Warrington a couple of months ago, I first did the A56, and to be honest, I really dont like that route. I covered part of it when I lived on Lymm, and hated it then. Really is a hotbed for idiots in cars, and offers little protection for cyclists.

The A57 for the most part is great. I get on it near Partington.
From Warrington to Partington is not bad either - there is a really nice section through Birchwood, followed by the only not so good bit - a dirt road that connects the two, but its literally the only way through.
The A57 then all the way up to the M60 is a separate cycle path to the main road, so you avoid cars all the way up.

Its not quite so good from there until Eccles, with a narrow cycle lane at the edge of the road, but its not that hairy. From Eccles to the city centre, its a pretty decent cycle lane. Depending what time you do it, I from there on in, you would be quicker than a car with as you can bypass the traffic.

I did put a full video of the ride on youtbe, but sped it up 10x i think....might give you a better idea what its like.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=5lRg4SNwrV0

• Informative
Reactions: barod

barod

Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2017
Warrington
Thanks Andy for the lengthy reply - good intel in there. I hadn't realised you were now commuting from the north of Warrington rather than Lymm, that explains the choice of the A57. I know the run from Birchwood to Hollins Green via the dirt track very well, that's on my route home when I fancy a longer ride. Like you say, there's no other real option, but it's not so bad. I was watching your YouTube video last night, but I didn't manage to get to the end as my phone decided to stop working part way through :-( Looks like you had one or two close encounters with traffic and pedestrians along the way...

I'm still inclined to try to find a route on the south side of the Ship Canal. I've been messing about with Cyclestreets and the Bikehub app, but they tend to route you along the Trans-Pennine trail and the Bridgewater Canal towpath, neither of which I'd be keen on. But I'll keep persevering - there must be some quiet streets that run roughly parallel to the A56 and other arterial routes.

Andy Bluenoes

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2016
uk
I think the speed of that video makes things look a bit worse than they actually were. There's always something to be wary of though. I've definitely got more savvy now ....I always allow for idiots to do what they shouldn't....

Yes...the bridgewater towpath...it worked well for me from lymm but it was pretty harsh on the bike especially in the winter.

I'll look out for your strava routes when you start.....there's loads of options I guess [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk