Waterproofing with Blu Tak...

johnamon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2011
Hi all,

This is my first post here - apologies for how daft this question may be!!

I have just installed a BMSBattery kit to a nice and light 1990's specialized hardrock. Despite no instructions being included, with a bit of help from the guys at BMS I got the kit installed in less than 7hrs. This is my first experience of an electric bicycle and it is fantastic! :cool:

Although the kit is installed sufficiently to allow me to ride in the dry it is not waterproofed yet. Because you receive a box of (very reasonably priced!) bits from BMSBattery, one must extend the battery, motor and pedelec wires mid-line.

Can anyone tell me from experience if Blu Tak is stable over time and water repellant (rather than dissolving or de-naturing over time!). I've had a crazy plan to pack out the joins in my cables with blu tak, then wrapping the blu tak packing in tape. This would seem to be a more reversible waterproofing solution than packing out with silicon sealant....

Thanks all.

John

johnamon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 15, 2011
Thanks Frank,

After the heatshrink I'm going to pack out the connections in blu-tack - wrap the blu-tack covered connections with a piece of old tyre and cable tie the gunged arrangement closed.

I hope the connections don't get too warm for the Blu-Tack, we'll have to see how it goes!!

Thanks

John