Waterresistant / proof grommet

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Afternoon All,
Looking for a little help. I currently have an cord that goes from my backpack (Where the controller and battery is) to a load of anderson connectors that connect up the phase sensors etc.

Now these have been fine during light rain and dry days. However with the increased rainfall i really need a water proof / resistant over sheild for these connectors.

Basically like a rubber grommit that can sheild these connectors.

I'm currently using a sandwich bag with insulation tap at one end and the sealy bag opener the other to hold it. Which currently is working but its hardly asthetically pleasing.

Any idea's?

D

Deleted member 4366

Can you post a picture of what you want to improve.

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'd probably go into Maplin and ask what they have, it sounds like a fairly standard IP?4 or above enclusure would do the job.

The ? above is the dust rating which you aren't really bothered about, the 4 means splash proof.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yeah I did look on the maplins website but couldn't find anything straight away. So thought i'd ask here where the intelligent people reside...

Look at my master bodge!
(Ps its all i had this morning a used sandwich bag and some tape... lol)

D

Deleted member 4366

Great bag, but I haven't a clue what or where the wires are or what that big black thing is!

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Sorry this is the main connector from my controller to the rest of the bike. 3 phase wires, 3 throttle wires, brake cut outs. I've swapped all connectors to powerpoles. But these are not water proof.

So as it's been raining alot lately while riding it's retarding my throttle control. So as a temp measure I've got a sandwich bag and put the main connector in there and taped it. The other connector is on the bike.

I connect the umbilical cord all up and place the taped bag over it and seal it. This is a temp measure but really I need a rubber connector to fit over each end of my main connector.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Good thinking Frank. That should do it and give me enough of a cheap fix to remove it once the better weather appears.

D

Deleted member 4366

Sorry this is the main connector from my controller to the rest of the bike. 3 phase wires, 3 throttle wires, brake cut outs. I've swapped all connectors to powerpoles. But these are not water proof.
You connect all those befor going out each time?
It could be worth trying one of those tiny 8 pin connectors that Shemozzle999 has. I can't remember the current rating for the phase wires, but they might be ok. the 5 thinner ones can be 3 for the throttle and two for the brakes (paralleled). Other than that, cut a piece of inner tube; cable tie one end leaving the other end open to slightly overlap the joints so that it acts as a rain shield. I guess you can't use heatshrink because you need to frquently disconnect?

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
As Dave states. Follow the link I posted which has the details re current ratings. I think Shemozzle999 has some left.

Regards

Jerry

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Yeah that would be a bit neater but I think the amps where rated at 20max.
I know it looks alot but as the powerpoles all clip together it's like connecting up one large connector in one go.

Takes two seconds to connect up. I wouldn't sit there connecting each one individually. Would take far to long and I'd have to colour code each one to make sure I didn't balls it up.

I will try the inner tube method as I had a few knocking about to hand.

If the cord shozzle was doing can run up to 30amp I'd be more inclined to get it.

D

Deleted member 4366

It's rated at 15A, which I guess is continuous. There's bound to be a bit of a safety margin, so I reckon it should handle your 22A. I can't see that the connectors themselves would burn out, but I guess you might get slight losses in the thinnish wires.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Does he only have the 9 pin one or the three pin one?
Only the 3 pin one is actually rated 20amp which I could use for phase wires then use the 9pin one for the other controls.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Best PM him as he purchased ten of each I think and only needs one himself.

Regards

Jerry

steve.c

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 16, 2011
Exeter Devon
Hi. Don't no if it's any help but all my electrics (ie regulator at the front and the 9 pin at the rear and any other exposed connectors ) I spray with (your all expecting me to say WD40) under body wax spray from Tool Station, it coats everything with a coating of (waterproof )wax and then i just keep checking to see its all still coated! if not another quick spray and it's done?? I'm not saying its ok for bare wires but it keeps the water out??. Regards Steve.