Wave goodbye and say hello

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Wave good bye and say hello.

The time has come to sell the superb KTM Macina and to pass it into the hands of a new owner. As expected, it sold within seconds of me making my intention to sell it known.

In the 16 months of my ownership, this bike has been utterly outstanding fun to both ride and own, and has proved to be a very competent, great handling package. Not that I would have expected anything less.

In just the same way that my KTM Macina Lycan full suspension eMTB is used very much as a tool to do a job, the Macina Race hardtail has been treated in just the same way. It has been used in all types of weather conditions and riding terrain, and certainly doesn’t get put away and not ridden when things become wet, muddy or even dark. It has shrugged off everything that has been thrown at it, with the frame, cycle parts and Bosch CX motor all performing without fault. I do adhere to a proper maintenance regime, and correct cleaning practice, which all but eliminates any issues anyway.

Over the last 16 months the hard tail has definitely had the lions share of use, and has been my go to bike. I put in about 3,500 miles a year riding off road, and whilst I have never even taken thought to, or even glanced at the odometer on the Bosch Intuvia display, I suspect that the bike has racked up a fair few miles now.

The one thing that has impressed me constantly, is just how effortlessly easy that the bike has been to keep maintained, and how it has maintained an as new appearance. Through the dark wet winter evenings and nights, it gets cleaned three to four times a week, and still comes up looking in showroom condition. The soil conditions where I ride are highly acidic and corrosive, yet apart from one nut on the seat post, (not a KTM item) there is zero sign of any corrosion, and the paintwork is as fresh as new. All of which takes very little effort to maintain, with no detergents used.

This bike has performed way beyond what I would have expected, and like any hardtail, it has made for the perfect bike to ride for the eight months of the year that are seemingly continually wet and muddy. It’s light weight and nimbleness has never failed to impress, and it has taught me so much.

Leaving tyre choice aside, in the 16 months of ownership I have only felt the need to make three changes to the bike. The first being the fitment of a Rockshox Reverb Stealth dropper post, the second the fitment of a pair of Ritchey WCS foam grips which I now have fitted to all of my bikes and really love, and the third the removal of the sprocket guard and fitment of a 15t front drive sprocket, in place of the OE 16t version.

The reason for letting it go, is solely because I am changing to a plus size hardtail, but not completely for the reason that you might expect. I intend to run it as a plus size set up until winter hits home, then change the set up to enable me to run my preferred winter tyre choice size of 2.25. Being a plus size bike, it will have the bonus of having a wider chainstay area, so affording better mud and leaf clearance. A win win situation. Roll on next week.

Many more photos and previous ride details about the KTM Macina Race can be found here.

https://www.facebook.com/edwardpeterjefferies/ and here https://www.instagram.com/eddiejefferies/?hl=en

#ktm #ktmbikes #ktmbikeindustries #webleedorange #ktmfuninthesun #ritchey #hutchinson #fenix

Just some of the fun that I have had on this bike.

Last edited:

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
It is on the bridleway that runs from Birling Gap up over the downs to East Dean. :)
Yup, heading towards Crowlink - gone past it many a time :cool: Fields just before Crowlink are okay, so long as you down have an aversion to sheep poo :eek:

I've got a smashing photo from very near that tree, looking back down towards the Birling Gap Hotel and sea, but can I find it! :(

Nice area to ride.

Gaz

Reactions: EddiePJ

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
The little café at East dean is a nice stop off when riding that route. I have so far managed to resist the Tiger Inn. :)
Good food at the Tiger - we're regulars. Proper local pond water too :cool:

I don't like cycling on the road heading West, going up the hill. I tried using the path that runs from the Tiger Inn up to Crowlink, but I'm not sure which is worse as it's very steep and riddled with roots enough to knock your fillings out! :eek:

Reckon the bridleway up from the Birling Gap Hotel, past 'that' tree is the lesser of the three evils.

Gaz

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
You forgot to mention the gates that you also have to stop to open on the steep hill. You just get moving then have to stop. Getting going again when it is wet, can be a real struggle. :D

I'll have to try the Tiger Inn for food, and hopefully they have Long Man on tap as well to accompany it. :)

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Can't beat a Long Blonde in the summer sun, although I then feel guilty about not doing my bit of throughput for keeping the Harvey's Best at its freshest :oops:

Technical and steep on your doorstep in East Dean - no need to go on the continent!

Gaz

• :D

Gaz

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 14, 2016
Eastbourne
Mmmm, gotta love a good manilla coloured cardboard box! :rolleyes::p

• :D

Andrew Ford

Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2016
Rotherham
Can't beat a Long Blonde in the summer sun, although I then feel guilty about not doing my bit of throughput for keeping the Harvey's Best at its freshest :oops:

Technical and steep on your doorstep in East Dean - no need to go on the continent!

Gaz
Gaz
No wonder you keep coming of your bike old boy LOL

Enjoy Andy

Reactions: Gaz and EddiePJ