Way to go

Robint

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2014
My pal has got one of these

http://www.strida.co.uk/english/technology.php?subpage=features

Yes a real head turner as he swans into our local and props against the wall - try that with a khalkhoff

Well we didnt have to wait long for his schadenfreude. We all know that after 8 pints Sunday lunchtime your reactions slow down a bit. Well he tried going home in usual style which included bunny-hopping up a kerb - as you do. Well he was a bit previous and hopped too soon and went flying over the bars. Unhurt of course due to the Brahms effect, but his Stryder frame was well snapped. No one had the means to weld the exotic alloy back together, so he had to cast his own aluminium branch and clamp it together.

Now what about electrifying it?

Could I live with 16" wheels, 20" are bad enough, how to Brompton users survive

hmm

Robin

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Brommies have a suspension choc in the rear triangle, so that end of the bike is relatively comfortable.

The front can be harsh and twitchy, both of which are improved on my Nano by the weight of the battery in the front bag.

Brommies are also great fun, you can steer them like a shopping trolley and they handle a treat.

Even without a motor, Brommies accelerate well, which is another reason why they are so suited to commuting/town use.

Having said that, I don't usually do any more than 20 miles at a time on mine.

Robint

Pedelecer
Aug 25, 2014
Brommies have a suspension choc in the rear triangle, so that end of the bike is relatively comfortable.

The front can be harsh and twitchy, both of which are improved on my Nano by the weight of the battery in the front bag.

Brommies are also great fun, you can steer them like a shopping trolley and they handle a treat.

Even without a motor, Brommies accelerate well, which is another reason why they are so suited to commuting/town use.

Having said that, I don't usually do any more than 20 miles at a time on mine.

I always fancied an e-brommie cos you can takes them on the train (many foldups arent allowed cos of size restrictions particularly in the 20" range.

Which one have you got? Nano 2 or sparticle, throttle or pedelec? 5ah or 10ah. How much was it all up?

These are quite heavy - 20kgs all up? Not quoted on website. thats quite a lug for a codger like me up and down tube stairs especially. They are a niche and great quality. My K is 24kg not luggable up stairs

Is there a brommie site on here?

Ive just realised, Brommies dont do hub gears, oh wow , though brommie will argue that a 3 spd derailleur is all you need for flat town work @ ca £900, so why bother with the extra weight of e motor

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I have a Nano 2 with a 10ah battery.

I had the Brommie already, the bike is just under £1K and the kit isn't far off, so it's about £2K all up.

Mine is a six speed, which is a Sturmey three speed hub and a two speed derailleur - all on the back wheel.

Brompton do it this way to save weight over a more common seven or eight speed gear hub - there's more than a kilo in it.

Sequential gear changes take a bit of juggling with the left and right side changers.

For a Nano from scratch, three speeds is probably enough.

http://www.nanoelectricbikes.co.uk/