Weekend fun off-road, but mostly commuting - ideas?

Markek

Just Joined
Jun 16, 2016
Dartington
Hi, I want to buy sthg for myself that'll last and perform, so high(est) quality; have just sold a house so feeling plush, but need advice as a new field for me. Needs to be good for daily commute etc road, as well as weekend fun, including some off-road on rocky, hilly ground. I live in a generally hilly area.

Any makes / models come to mind particularly?

I'm currently v unfit. I want sthg I can use without motor as much as poss on flat and downhill at start, but can use motor to kick in for the many hills around. What is the highest power / most reliable motor available? Yamaha /Bosch / Other?
And the longest-lasting /fastest-charging battery?

Also - in folks' experience, is there a big bonus in dealing with a shop rather than a web-based purchase?

Thanks a lot,

Mark

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You need two bikes. If you have a bike for rocky hilly offroad it won't be adapted for commuting (rack for paniers, mudguards, 28" fast rolling tyres...) and vice versa.

Electric Transport Shop

Official Trade Member
Aug 7, 2010
Hi Mark, our closest store is Bristol and we have several Haibikes with the Yamaha and Bosch systems and more with the Bosch system. You are welcome to come see, discuss and ride. In our experience both the Bosch and Yamaha are the most reliable premium e-bike systems available.
The reason we have taken the difficult and expensive decision to put shops near our customers is because it is necessary to provide a good service.
Once you have an electric bike you'll plan at least part of your life around its use and if something goes wrong you'll want it fixed fast. So we're here to help you find the right bike and then ensure you get the best from it.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Also - in folks' experience, is there a big bonus in dealing with a shop rather than a web-based purchase?
There are surely some benefits in dealing with a physical shop, when collecting or servicing a bike.

An electric bike is usually very large and heavy, and when ordered online, come in a massive box. Unless you can retain the box and are happy to use couriers to ship the bike back in case of issues, a shop is better.

However, unless you have issues with the motor, computer or the frame, or warranty issues, most other components are standard and any standard bike shop should be able to service the bike or carry repairs. Some shops refuse to service electric bike, due to liability of breaking something expensive, but it should be possible to find a shop or a mobile bike mechanic nearby.