Well All New To Me...

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
Hi All,

Seems a little mad as I'm not a cyclist at all, not since a good many years ago and then only doing a paper round. But some one suggested I get a e-bike to commute to work as it would be much better than the bus. So did a little research - mostly on here - thanks all those posters. Then hunted down something affordable but quality and seen as there was a amazing deal on the Oxygen CB at £1099 from £1499 with a nice look and good spec, great battery and range I though what the hell and its now on its way for Wednesday - thanks to Matt at E-bikes Direct fro the quick delivery, appreciated.

Lets hope it all works out - I have a 12-14 mile each way commute to work out the from B38 to DY2 with a couple of nice hills ! Should be fun.

Well nice to meet you all and hope to share my experience , any tips, advice, essential equipment or accessories to recommend most welcome,

Cheers

Karl

Reactions: flecc

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Karl,
Welcome. If this is the bike
http://www.oxygenbicycles.com/e-bikes/e-mate-cb
then it looks well equiped already, although some extra lights never go amiss. 12-14 miles is going some if you've not cycled before, give yourself plenty of time and you'll soon see it as a breeze. Might need some security to park it at work.
Oh and waterproofs, good breathable ones would be my recommendation, as a jacket i use one of these:
http://www.hillanddaleoutdoors.co.uk/productDetail.php?productId=3044&brand=13
I know they seem expensive but it's lightweight and properly breathable whilst being waterproof, so you don't baste in your own sweat. I use some of their trousers too and they last for years.
Happy biking and may your e bike grin be enormous and give the finger to WMPTE for me.:p
Ben

Reactions: Karl_Sheldon

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks guys..

Week in Shawshank, well I realise I will have to take it slow for a while but its got to be worth it.

Ben , cheers, that's the bike seems a good buy will review it as I go and update on here as not much mention of these bikes for some reason. The top looks good , for now I have a good weatherproof breathable of similar spec but as its dark I'll make do with a bright waistcoat for now. Got some waterproof over trousers with band down side too so I should stand out. Might look like a railway repair man but hey, safety first I guess.

Bike arrives tomorrow , dancing like a kiddy at Christmas tonight ...

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
As you've remarked elsewhere, 12-14 miles for a commute is stretching it a bit.

It will probably mean an hour or more in the saddle each way, which is plenty for most of us.

You are buying a decent bike which gives you a chance, but don't beat yourself up too much if you still take the bus some days, particularly in the first few weeks/grotty weather.

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
Its arrived , checked it all over plugged in battery to find pleasantly it was all charged and ready to go, so wooosh , amazed truly amazed what can I say I love it , just feels so natural and so easy, got her up to 23 mph and hills don't phase her at all, looking forward to some serious use in the weeks head , I know must break myself in slowly though ..

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Its arrived , checked it all over plugged in battery to find pleasantly it was all charged and ready to go, so wooosh , amazed truly amazed what can I say I love it , just feels so natural and so easy, got her up to 23 mph and hills don't phase her at all, looking forward to some serious use in the weeks head , I know must break myself in slowly though ..
Pleased you are off to a positive start.

You mention you are new to cycling, and I see you have a lock on the bike.

That type of lock is not very secure, what we cycling types call a cafe lock, suitable for a coffee stop where the bike is not locked for long and you can keep an eye on it.

Do you have secure parking at work?

It's a sad fact of life that if you park a bike in public in the same place most days, it will get stolen.

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
Hi Rob, lock was just a quick purchase, I can park it inside my place of work as secure as it can be so no worries there thankfully , out and about its unlikely I will live with that lock I'll be heading out for a better one next week... Need a good D shape solid lock I guess with good security rating..

Anyone care to recommend one ..thanks.

cosybike

Pedelecer
Mar 30, 2009
www.cosybike.co.uk
Greetings!

Are you quite short? Happy with the saddle height/ angle? Remeber it adjust fore and aft as well.
You want your knee just bending a bit at bottom of stroke. If you are waggling hips or stretching then seat too high.

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks cosybike , saddle probably needs a tweak , up a tad at the back, some good instructions and examples provided in the manual so will adjust before I travel too far. That said its not far out, was quite comfortable and legs height seemed OK easy enough to ride without power on.

Thanks for advice guys.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
A D-lock would offer more security, but the same advice applies about not leaving the bike unattended for a moment more than you have to.

D-locks are usually breached by a jack inside the D.

With that in mind, buy a small one and try to anchor it to something that fills the D as much as possible.

You could deploy your existing lock as well to tether the motor wheel to the D lock or rest of the bike.

This Kryptonite D-lock is among the better ones, but it's around £55

You could get cheaper, buy anything under £30 is unlikely to offer very much security.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/kryptonite-fahgettaboudit-mini-lock/rp-prod18394?gs=1&gclid=CIKOwO3Y3soCFSsKwwodEMUAFg&gclsrc=aw.ds

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
Thanks Rob, lock looks good, there are a few about on sale around £45 to £50 with sold secure gold rating so will plump for ordering one this weekend , very unlikely she will be left out of site excepting the odd trip to local shops , thoughtfully two of which have in store bike parking so that's good ...

Karl_Sheldon

Pedelecer
Jan 29, 2016
OK first real journey completed ...35 miles to work and back via a 5 mile detour hmmmm. See review of bike in other section later...