Well, I have just gone and done it - Kalkhoff BS10 ordered today

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
Dave, the law is an ass. How else do you explain that is is legal to sell a product that is illegal to use? Surely it should be illegal to sell?

Kids on 1000w machines is not what we are talking about. I think 350w was mentioned.

250w is fine by me, it is the 15mph limit that is both irritating and dangerous. No other vehicle on the planet is designed to cut its power whilst the user is accelerating. Run out of natural power, yes but not switch off completely.
Actually,I have realised that in that respect I agree with your posting...these illegals should be stopped at source... My comment about 30 mph and 1000 watt was suggesting that would be the result if there was no limit....a young lad came into our London shop with just such a bike, it was lethal to both rider and pedestrians. Look into You Tube searching 70 mph and 4000 watt,I think it came from Taiwan,the guy is overtaking lorries at 70 mph,that would be the result with no limit.
Don't forget that in Germany these S class bikes can only be used on the highway,not on cycle tracks....for me that would take way most of the fun journeys on an e-bike.
KudosDave

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Rubbish!!!!!
Dave
I had a pair of elderly gentleman visit our shop this afternoon, just after visiting your shop down the road and one told me me that the BH bike you sold to him in the past assists up to 20mph without any modification. I presume it's one of those 250W/350W 'downtuned' Neo Cross bikes as he said the battery was inside the frame. Admittedly, it wasn't the most scientific test, he'd had a friend follow him in a car, and he achieved a steady 20mph, but he was concerned enough to check. Are you absolutely certain that those BH Neo bikes fall within EN15194? Has anyone actually independently tested a UK spec BH Neo bike for assisted speed and motor output?

PS I think it's helping having your place down the road, we just had our record day of sales! The number of people who turn up at your shop only to find it closed on any given day is staggering.

PPS your paranoia, first about your website crashing the other week (what was that down to, in the end? Did Vladimir Putin mistake your website for part of the Crimea? I think the forum would like to hear what actually happened, given the aspersions you were throwing around...) and now about supposed astroturfers on this forum, is always very entertaining, Mr Elderberry. Oh, you are a one!

Last edited:
Reactions: EddiePJ

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Actually,I have realised that in that respect I agree with your posting...these illegals should be stopped at source... My comment about 30 mph and 1000 watt was suggesting that would be the result if there was no limit....a young lad came into our London shop with just such a bike, it was lethal to both rider and pedestrians. Look into You Tube searching 70 mph and 4000 watt,I think it came from Taiwan,the guy is overtaking lorries at 70 mph,that would be the result with no limit.
Don't forget that in Germany these S class bikes can only be used on the highway,not on cycle tracks....for me that would take way most of the fun journeys on an e-bike.
KudosDave
If I am riding my e-bike and a non e-bike powers past me, as does happen at times, I feel that I should, legally be able to travel at the same speed under motor assistance.

Why not? On or off a cycle track.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
The other point is what happens when a car hits you?
I was legal when the 4*4 got me. Now they are in court and I can sue. If my bike was derestricted I would have been in the ****. As it was my injured Face, arms and legs are all points for my solicitor to claim for.

Reactions: Geebee

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
If I am riding my e-bike and a non e-bike powers past me, as does happen at times, I feel that I should, legally be able to travel at the same speed under motor assistance.

Why not? On or off a cycle track.
It would perhaps make most sense if the speed restriction was raised to 20mph in line with the urban speed limit that's proliferating in places like Brighton and areas of London.

Reactions: SRS

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Tim

You offer some very nice bikes indeed. I popped into your new Shoreham shop the other day. I have a bike but was nice to see your range.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Tim

You offer some very nice bikes indeed. I popped into your new Shoreham shop the other day. I have a bike but was nice to see your range.
We're still ramping things up there. The sign goes up this week, at long last! We're planning to keep a small fleet of Agattus and Pro Connect Xions there for daily hire, it's certainly the place for it, I love cycling around there. I'm also partial to the fish and chips.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
We're still ramping things up there. The sign goes up this week, at long last! We're planning to keep a small fleet of Agattus and Pro Connect Xions there for daily hire, it's certainly the place for it, I love cycling around there.
Yes, I guessed that the sign was on its way. Please let all know when you are hiring bikes as my partner is looking for a new one. We'll come along and hire one as a trial.

Great area for cycling. Don't forget to mention the riverside track up to Bramber and Steyning.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
I had a customer visit our shop this afternoon, just after visiting your shop down the road to tell me that the BH bike you sold to him in the past assists up to 20mph without any modification. I presume it's one of those 250W/350W 'downtuned' Neo Cross bikes as he said the battery was inside the frame. Admittedly, it wasn't the most scientific test, he'd had a friend follow him in a car, and he achieved a steady 20mph, but he was concerned enough to check. Are you absolutely certain that those BH Neo bikes fall within EN15194? Has anyone actually independently tested a UK spec BH Neo bike for assisted speed and motor output?

PS I think it's helping having your place down the road, we just had our record day of sales! The number of people who turn up at your shop only to find it closed on any given day is staggering.

PPS your paranoia, first about your website crashing the other week (what was that down to, in the end? Did Vladimir Putin mistake your website for part of the Crimea?) and now about supposed astroturfers on this forum, is always very entertaining, Mr Elderberry. Oh, you are a one!
My name is Elderfield,but I am sure you know that. All the BH emotion bikes have EN 15194 certificates, by SRS or TUV.To my knowledge we have never sold a BH Neo Cross,our sales from the London shop have been Neo Race or BH 700 bikes.
I am glad that you appreciate that competition is always good for business.

KudosDave

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Yes, I guessed that the sign was on its way. Please let all know when you are hiring bikes as my partner is looking for a new one. We'll come along and hire one as a trial.

Great area for cycling. Don't forget to mention the riverside track up to Bramber and Steyning.
Yes, I haven't done that one yet but Charlie in the shop is local and has recommended that route to me. I took off up Mill Hill yesterday and then along the coast to Worthing. With the Channel on one side and the lagoons on the other, it takes some beating.

I'll post a map with routes on our Shoreham page eventually.

Last edited:

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Oh dear, oh dear. And now we see your true colours. What a silly accusation.

Actually, it's a 5:2 day today, I'm subsisting entirely on soup and tea. Got to look after myself, now I'm 40!

So, who, if anyone, was to blame for your website falling over?

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
When the London Electric Bike Company website was attacked I was very careful not to point the finger at any particular source,only describing the source as sad. However I do appreciate your concern and interest.
KudosDave

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Yes, I haven't done that one yet but Charlie in the shop is local and has recommended that route to me. I took off up Mill Hill yesterday and then along the coast to Worthing. With the Channel on one side and the lagoons on the other, it takes some beating.

I'll post a map with routes on our Shoreham page eventually.
Look forward to it.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
"Apologies,the website of our primary London dealer,namely the London Electric Bike Company of Hampton Wick has crashed 4 times this week due to a number of cyber attacks. It's obviously a competitor who is envious of the success of that dealer-I wonder who it might be?"

I wonder who you thought it might be, given it was that dealer in Hampton Wick? It appeared the finger was being pointed in a vaguely northerly direction, I'm sure I'm not the only one to have noticed.

Can you assure us and your customers that no personal data was compromised? That's always the greatest concern on these occasions. Was the attack on your website a criminal act or a cock-up?

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I suppose KTM Col will be quite pleased at having got two rivals at each other's throats.

To me, all three of them don't emerge from this thread with much credit.

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Iyou're casting around accusations of alcoholism and cyber crime.
To me, all three of them don't emerge from this thread with much credit.
If I had a pound for every time someone posts that sentiment whenever a couple of dealers discuss anything, ever... I'd probably have just about enough to buy one of Dave's Kudos bikes.

Reactions: Croxden

peerjay56

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 24, 2013
Nr Ingleton, N. Yorkshire
Iyou're casting around accusations of alcoholism and cyber crime.

If I had a pound for every time someone posts that sentiment whenever a couple of dealers discuss anything, ever... I'd probably have just about enough to buy one of Dave's Kudos bikes.
If only you were discussing. Instead you all seem determined to indulge in childish mudslinging.
Getting back to the crux of the OP - how can someone get an illegal bike on any of the C2W schemes?

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
After some real soul-searching and some rides to work, I decided that I definitely do what to commute more since after only 2 trips I already feel so much better (fitter and happier and can replaced some of my gym sessions). I decided to try something more up-market and my initial choices we're the Kalkhoff BS10, ProConnect Impulse 10G-XT (my preferred choice on paper), ProcConnect Impulse 8G Alfine and possibly the ProConnect X24 Xion hub-drive. The last was a last-minute addition since I was quite partial to the idea of crank-drive in all my research.

Last Saturday I spent several hours at the Kingston 50 Cycles store trying out the various models. James at 50c was very helpful and patience and gave me all the time in the world to work through my thought and preferences, taking each bike out for 20/30 minutes at a time back-to-back to get a really good feel of the various bikes. The were some surprises.

First of all, I was very surprised that didn't like the PC Impulse 8G-Alfine as much as I would have expected, given the new Impulse 2 motor and quality components. It was more "noisy" than I thought relative to the others and the Alfine gears was really not for me - it is ok for bimbling but doesn't quite feel "responsive" enough for a proper spirited ride. I discounted the deraileurs Impulse 10G-XT for the same reason without trying it, given it has the same engine.
With the Pro Connect Alfine, what it's really great at is the shorter commutes and longer, leisurely rides in mixed terrain. I took it all around nearby Bushy Park on the way to take the new photograph and was thrilled by it's lightness and swiftness. But then going around much hillier Richmond Park it felt more like flying along with complete ease than any other bike from Kalkhoff I know because the Pro Connect Alfine really comes into its own out in rolling country, where the Impulse 2.0 motor is allowed to eat up the hills and then power downhill with with ease. That's where it comes out best, plus the range is phenomenal. The Shoreham showroom is better situated for that sort of riding, and the Bristol showroom will be even better for putting some hills within easy reach.