Wet or dry lube?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
Agree with soundwave, dry lube is good. I personally use Finish Line Dry Lube. I used to find that wet lube in dry conditions, tended to get dust sticking to the chain, clogging it up.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/finish-line-dry-teflon-lubricant-120ml-bottle/

That's the first link I came across, might get it cheaper elsewhere. You can also buy it with an applicator nozzle, which has a spongy bit to apply the lube evenly on the chain.

Reactions: Richard T. Jensen

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
its free in aldi if you nick it buy none and get 2 free ;)

• :D
Reactions: robdon
D

Deleted member 4366

I've always used 90 grade gear oil on my chains. It's relatively cheap and does a good job.

At one time, I thought maybe I'm old-fashioned and submitted to pressure to use something modern, so I tried White Lightning dry lubricant. It was a complete failure. I can question its lubrication effect, but there was no doubt about the damage it did when it all ended up in a solid waxy mess around my rear derailleur jocky wheels full of grit. It took me ages to clean it all out.

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
I haven't yet found any need to change from 'Purple Extreme'. I don't know if it's the best chain/gearset lubrication around but it's easy to use and seems to last a long time. My chain stays cleaner than when I used traditional wet lubes.

It's not the cheapest but can be used very sparingly.

Tom

greyfox69

Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2015
ST8 North Staffs
As a sixty year old engineer i agree with tommie and d8veh use Light gear oil, Engine oil or the legendary 3 in 1, I have been swayed and bought dry lube and wet lube etc etc and I can see no benefit to either one..... just sayin'

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
I use dry lube in summer and wet in winter, they work for me. Dry lube definitely keeps chain clean on dusty trails. Does need regular top up but no need to degrease chain all summer.

• Agree
Reactions: Fordulike

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
I think the important thing is, keep it clean, lubed and replace it when gear change problems and noises arise, due to chain stretch.

spanos

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2011
Ever so slight tangent.....and showing my lack of mechanical bike knowledge

Don't put a new chain on with just some added lube of choice

I just did this with a new kmc chain....and good grief does the chain collect muck. The stuff they preserve the chain in the warehouse looks like oily lube but is super sticky stuff ! Needs wiping off first

Turns out the internet knows this well, yours truly did not !

rower

Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2018
Berks and Bucks
I use muc off wet lube but looking around I wish I'd tried just using WD40. The vloke GCN uses WD40 for the lot and says it works brilliantly.