What a blinking good idea!

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Definitely. I first got a mirror years ago when I found with a hood when it rained didn't allow looking over the shoulder successfully. I found it so invaluable I won't ride a bike without one now, a mirror if it's properly used is the best protection a bike rider can ever have.
I agree. But what a problem finding one that gives a good view of behind, not just a view of your own arm! See how i overcame that problem (photo at top)

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
35 €... and though I like the idea but they are using the same space as bar end mounted mirror...

Tony

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I've come across these Winglights

http://www.cycl.bike/

- they are only available to pre-order though, so no reviews yet.
I can't see these little lights even being noticed by drivers, especially in town and city with so many lights around and even less so in wet conditions when windscreen views are less than optimal.

Reactions: oriteroom

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Lack of standardisation, poor visibility, and the fact there's no culture of cyclists using orange indicator lights make these gadgets useless bordering on dangerous.

D

Deleted member 4366

At the Cycle Show, they were selling yellow dayglo cycle jackets with built in indicators. They must have had a tilt switch in them because the girl was walking round wearing it and every time she scratched her head, the indicator was going. IIRC, they had a sideways pointing V on each shoulder. Perhaps someone with more time can find a link. I hadca quick look on Google, where there's several, but not quite the same as the one I saw.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The jacket is a much better idea. It won't turn on when you lean your bike against a wall to pop into the boulangerie to grab a baguette for example...

Tony

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I have seen a few "indicators " but nothing really useful. . I stick my arm out all the way. . A bit like we did on the old motorcycle "ride around the block" driving test, whereas some cyclists seem to just point their arm down at a slight angle pointing a finger at the ground.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yeah well there you go, the other ones are not even on the market and you can buy the same thing from China at 10% of the price. Seeing how my bar ends get knocks and bumps I know what I would prefer to pay...

I stick my arm out all the way too but there is this one roundabout I use quite often where I wonder if one day it is not going to be ripped off...

Tony

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
[/quote]
Yeah well there you go, the other ones are not even on the market and you can buy the same thing from China at 10% of the price. Seeing how my bar ends get knocks and bumps I know what I would prefer to pay...

Tony
They are of a similar fitting but otherwise totally different. These cheap Chinese ones are plastic and come with either flashing red or clear lights. What's the good of that !? The WingLights are a quality metal design with amber light flashing at the same rate as motor vehicles. See photo.1897808_798510953538515_1992682253302563375_n.jpg They snap on and off with a powerful magnet. You hit the end to activate them. They look part of the bike unlike many of the cheap plastic gadgets around at mo! I have pre-ordered a pair at the special Early Bird price of £24.99 + p&p. They will replace the Winkku's in my original post photo.

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
Now i'm thinking my original post should really have read "WingLights - What a blinking good idea"
Thanks to this forum for making me aware of WingLights. Apparently, the designers of this product were interviewed by the BBC last night. Should be interesting. Much more info to read and see here >
https://www.facebook.com/CyclBike

GloveMakingMan

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2014
Bideford, North Devon
instagram.com
I have noticed that one of the negative comments regarding indicators on this thread received rather a lot of likes. It seems to me that this forum consists of just a few regulars that just seem to agree with each other as long as it's a negative. I would imagine that these members ride high spec speed machines which are cut down to an absolute minimum with no accessories whatsoever on them. Surely you must agree that there is only so long that one can ride with an outstretched arm in a manoeuver, especially on an ebike. I find that during a turn when i have to put my hand back on the handlebars, more vehicles come into view, they haven't a clue what i'm doing. The indicator would be a back-up confirmation of my intention. I am now leaving this forum. Goodbye Pedelecs

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sorry you feel this way, but you are mistaken, the regular members are more often noted for the way they disagree!

The reasons for the group of likes are expressed in the thread, unconventional methods of signalling are potentially dangerous through being either missed or misunderstood. I agree on the shortcomings of arm signals, but at least they are widely accepted and understood.

Reactions: oriteroom