What a difference a drop of oil makes

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk

After 200 km my bike was creaking and squeaking like mad. A bottle of this stuff has worked wonders. No more creaking or squeaking. Rolls super smooooth. :cool:

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I was recommended this:
DSC00175_RESIZED.jpg

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
After 1400 miles on my Tasman I took it in for a service, the first time I've ever used a bike shop for anything. Normally I just oil the parts and adjust things myself.

It cost me £60 and involved stripping down, cleaning and lubricating.

It was like a new bike afterwards and something I plan to do annually from now on.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
After 1400 miles on my Tasman I took it in for a service, the first time I've ever used a bike shop for anything. Normally I just oil the parts and adjust things myself.

It cost me £60 and involved stripping down, cleaning and lubricating.

It was like a new bike afterwards and something I plan to do annually from now on.
I second that! .. After nine months of me "oiling" it my bike was a mess. After a proper service it was like a new bike. I'm going for 6 monthly (while I am still working!)

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
good stuff any oil is better than no oil. I just use some fenwick's professional lube. Its kind of like wd40 but i little thicker. However the can is at very high pressure so never lasts that long at 7 quid a can. In saying that though i use it on all cables, chains an free wheels. As its high pressure it seems to clean out most the dirt.
I do this every two weeks. Can last about 2 months.x

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
The best thing I've found for a well oiled chain is a chain guard, since swapping to a bike with one I'm cleaning it much less often and the chain is lasting longer. :)

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
The best thing I've found for a well oiled chain is a chain guard, since swapping to a bike with one I'm cleaning it much less often and the chain is lasting longer. :)
Thats a good shout. And these days there are sure to be lots of options to keep the fashion consious members (yes there are some!) happy. I've got a some plastic tubing around the chain on my recumbent which does an excellent job.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
I saw this in the cycle shed this morning which reminded me of this thread. Looks like a classic custom job:
DSC00177_RESIZED.jpg

piotrmacheta

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 23, 2009
For recumbents with silicon chain tubes it is recommended to use Profi Dry lube which is in a pressurised can and keeps the chain clean and oiled - not cheap either but worth it. I once used normal oil on my recumbent bike chain and it just gunked (techical term!) it and the tubes up and all the grit stuck to it. I now only use Profi dry.
As for ACF50, this is a brilliant product for stopping your bike/motorbike bits from rusting and is designed to protect it over many months as it doesn't wash off but I didn't think it was designed as a chain lubricant.