What about re-gutting batteries ?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Is it feasable/possible to have batteries re- gutted ( for want of a better term ).
Just wondering, because a guy in a bike shop suggested it to me today but had no idea where/who......any thoughts anyone ?
He seemed to think there might be a company in Bristol and also Yeovil ......

Lynda

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Recelling was common with the earlier battery type NiMh, but lithium batteries have complications which make it far more difficult. They have an electronic management system (BMS) built in which matches the installed cell pack, and since these batteries are constantly being developed, later cells might not be ok for that. Also some battery failures are due to the BMS completely failing or having a performance fault which damages the cells, so the BMS is best changed as well. Since not much of the battery cost is in the case, it probably isn't worth changing the content, especially if a firm is employed to do it since their margin would tip it into uneconomic.

However, an expensive battery could have it's case fitted with the whole content from a cheaper make, and I used to do this with £250 Lafree batteries years ago by buying a £99 Powacycle battery and swopping it's innards over. Details are on this old webpage of mine.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
That was really interesting Flecc, thankyou..........and seeing what is inside a battery makes me in awe actually of
just how much work they do to propel us and our bikes along.
Really makes me appreciate my battery, I must stop expecting it to do more than is possible.
I am thinking of buying a new battery for mine and carrying the current one for extra range if needed, as mine are fairly cheap and light it might make sense as I find my bike comfortable and its in as new condition.........thats until I get my Tonaro Esprit :)
Then theres the folding bike question for my car.......ooh I just LOVE electric bikes :) :)

Lynda

tangent

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 7, 2010
If you do not mind doing a bit of wiring you could buy a battery and connect it externally. I have done this for my Giant Lafree. A 24V 10Ah lithium-ion battery from BMS Battery cost me about £85 including delivery. It came with a BMS and charger but no case, so I store it in a padded camera bag, which then goes in a pannier. You could of course buy a battery with a proper ABS or aluminium case for just a few pounds more.

My external battery set up is abolutely fine for my daily commute, but not so good for shopping, etc. when I need all the pannier space I can get.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
If you do not mind doing a bit of wiring you could buy a battery and connect it externally. I have done this for my Giant Lafree. A 24V 10Ah lithium-ion battery from BMS Battery cost me about £85 including delivery. It came with a BMS and charger but no case, so I store it in a padded camera bag, which then goes in a pannier. You could of course buy a battery with a proper ABS or aluminium case for just a few pounds more.

My external battery set up is abolutely fine for my daily commute, but not so good for shopping, etc. when I need all the pannier space I can get.
I hope you can tell me more about your Giant Lafree. Just sent you a PM.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
No good with wiring unfortunately, but thats sounds like a bargain price battery if its not much more with the case.
I think the powacycle ones are around £300 !!
I had thought that I had seen them cheaper elsewhere but now cant find them !!

Lynda

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

I think if you buy a rack battery from BMS in china it will fit on most bikes

Make sure you buy it with Charger

If you want more range or if you old battery has just lost its capacity
then look at your local Auto Electrician he will be used to working with DC battery voltage and wiring on cars

and will be able to connect the new battery to where the old one was

look in yellow pages for Auto electrician

Frank

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for the info Frank...... :)

Lynda

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Is it feasable/possible to have batteries re- gutted ( for want of a better term ).
Just wondering, because a guy in a bike shop suggested it to me today but had no idea where/who......any thoughts anyone ?
He seemed to think there might be a company in Bristol and also Yeovil ......

Lynda
Don't recycle, just replace with something cheaper.

One of the main reasons I went down the self-build route was to have complete control and freedom over the type of battery I use. As I built a folding electric bike, my priority was to make the battery as light as possible and portable to carry in a bag, should the need arise. With this requirement in mind, I purchased a small 5Ah LiFePo4 battery complete with built-in BMS and a charger. The battery measures 150x110x90mm and weighs just 1.8kg. I've found it more than capable of providing for my needs, and it only cost me £90! So cheap that I purchased two of them.

It's not difficult to do your own battery solution like I have onto a ready-made electric bike once its battery goes. Obviously you might need to change connectors, do a bit of soldering, and find a suitable carrier for the battery pack (I use a little bag on the handlebar)..but it's worth the effort as you can make a considerable and ongoing saving and avoid adding unnecessary excess weight to your bike.

If you don't feel confident enough, you could get someone who has basic electrical skills to do it for you..if you can wire a plug and use a soldering iron, you shouldn't have any problem.

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Don't recycle, just replace with something cheaper.

One of the main reasons I went down the self-build route was to have complete control and freedom over the type of battery I use. As I built a folding electric bike, my priority was to make the battery as light as possible and portable to carry in a bag, should the need arise. With this requirement in mind, I purchased a small 5Ah LiFePo4 battery complete with built-in BMS and a charger. The battery measures 150x110x90mm and weighs just 1.8kg. I've found it more than capable of providing for my needs, and it only cost me £90! So cheap that I purchased two of them.

It's not difficult to do your own battery solution like I have onto a ready-made electric bike once its battery goes. Obviously you might need to change connectors, do a bit of soldering, and find a suitable carrier for the battery pack (I use a little bag on the handlebar)..but it's worth the effort as you can make a considerable and ongoing saving and avoid adding unnecessary excess weight to your bike.

If you don't feel confident enough, you could get someone who has basic electrical skills to do it for you..if you can wire a plug and use a soldering iron, you shouldn't have any problem.
Thanks Morphix....its certainly worth thinking about as I would much prefer a 26'' folder.
I can change plugs no probs but the soldering iron is a bit scary.....however, I DO have a new son in law who is an electrician........hmmm....brain cells wirring.......

Lynda

eBikes London Support

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 12, 2011
Hi people
at the risk of being told off for sales we can re-gut [to use Lynda's phrase , and no I am not a Geordie] li-on or lipo !
not cheap but possible
call us if we can help
have fun
Dermot

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
at the risk of being told off for sales we can re-gut [to use Lynda's phrase , and no I am not a Geordie] li-on or lipo !
not cheap but possible
call us if we can help
have fun
Dermot
No risk of criticism I'm sure Dermot, we appreciate useful information like this.

steveindenmark

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 10, 2011
Talking to my motorcycle friend over a glass of wine last night. He expressed his concern over the price of a 36V el bike battery and asked why we could not use 3x 12v motorcycle batteries at a fraction of the cost.

I am new to all this and did not know the answer. Can someone tell me please?

Steve

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Repairing battery packs is a very skilful job one mistake you have a fire on your hands

I designee and make battery packs for my company and working with full charged battery's that can discharge at 160 amps means you can arc weld with them

The Problem is the UK labor costs old battery's will be nicad so different size cells and voltage will probably not fit into old case

need new BMS and charger

So It is cost prohibitive

I am afraid If you don't fit a Generic rack mounted battery from China

And have it wired into the controller local by an Auto electrician

The bike is off no value it it the Tip I am afraid

As new bikes are appearing sub £500 with rack mounted Generic Battery's so no problem in the future so Bikes with battery's fitted in the frame are not the way to Go

Frank

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Talking to my motorcycle friend over a glass of wine last night. He expressed his concern over the price of a 36V el bike battery and asked why we could not use 3x 12v motorcycle batteries at a fraction of the cost.

I am new to all this and did not know the answer. Can someone tell me please?

Steve
It's may well be they don't have an adequate continuous discharge rate, although they are very capable short term as in starting the bike. Similar SLA batteries can be used on e-bikes and are on some models, but they are very heavy, more so than the m/c batteries, and several times the weight of lithium types.

Some members fed up with lithium prices are using them however.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I think prices are very good for batteries if you buy direct from China.
In saying that most companies here in the UK that buy them from oversea's are hitting the Sub £200 for Lithium-Ion batterys and then at least your getting some kind of warrenty and back up. Thats for most 36v 10ah batterys.

Anything larger and it starts to get a bit more pricey from UK suppliers.

I think you need to take a view on a battery as fuel. The only time it doesn't make sense to have a lithium battery on your ebike is when you don't really use it that much Ie maybe a couple time a month.

Either way in my eyes an Ebike is hideously cheap to run. I moved to the city, don't drive (Although still have a car that I'd like to sell at some point) so no longer have to suffer the rising fuel bills. An now commute by Ebike.

My journey is quite easy to do on public transport, Train and bus or even just bus but both journeys take 1 hour. On the ebike I complete the same journey in 30mins (Ok i need a spare set of clothes and time for a quick wash) but I'm still getting there at least 20mins faster and not having to sit with some business scrote on the train or by the nutter on the bus.

In my scenario its works very well and I'd be happy to hand over £200 on my money to keep me going for another 2 years. In fact I'd happy to pay £200 a year for the privledge. As either way its still cheaper than a car.

My other half works in Coventry, in comparision her car travel (Peugeot 107 which is remarkably good on petrol being a 3 cylinder 999cc clown car) does in around the high 50ish mpg but still costs her £30 per week to do the 250 mile a week commute. Now this isn't really comparable to most working commutes. But even if you half that at £15 a week (Or 125mile a week commute which is the average by most car users) that works out at £780 a year on petrol. Much higher on larger engined cars...
An I have heard alot of talk over petrol prices these last couple of months and to be honest its far to expensive, but I care less now I don't depend on it.

If you use a bike to commute to work the batteries are cheap. Even if you use it for 6 months of the year you can quite easily get the value of the battery back in petrol prices alone.

If you don't use an ebike to commute for general transport or a disability it has tons over other benifits for a very reasonable price.

Unfortunatly it will never replace a car. It may replace a 2nd car... May replace public transport for work commutes maybe.
But generally I'm quite pro ebike and I wish I could get a few more people at work to give it a go becasue I seriously think its a very good idea, Its sustainable and its cheap. I'd never have got back into cycling if it wasn't for Ebikes.

I'm now taking up more interst in getting quite a trend focused Fixie bike to build up more strength and just use in the city. The bike heavy ebike i'd just use to complete the work run.

Sorry I've just realised I've rambled on and not really made a point. I do this sometimes.

Lithium is cheap, light, affordable and perfect for an ebike application.
Yes you can use SLA but I'd only advise for testing or if your not really going to use an ebike that much due to the weight and poor performance in an ebike application.

Last edited: