What advance in bicycle technology has impressed you the most?

tommie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 13, 2013
Co. Down, N. Ireland, U.K.
Yeah, I know the type you mean. I urmmmm, borrowed an unlocked bike when I was rather drunk in Germany which had similar brakes.

Needless to say, me and my mate, having a backie, ended up in the bushes and abandoned said bike. That was many many decades ago and I'm not proud of what we did :oops:

View attachment 12826

BTW, that's not the actual picture of the bike. Camera phones hadn't been invented back then lol
Anyone remember these battery lamps? Went dim and rusted in no time at all !

s-l1600.jpg

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010

View attachment 12827
OMG 'D' cell batteries. Last time I used those in anything, was in a boombox back in the 80's.

That could be added to the list, advancement of battery size and energy density for lights ;)

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
OMG 'D' cell batteries. Last time I used those in anything, was in a boom box back in the 80's.

least they went boom ie bass line fkn rubbish you get these days cant even get fat speakers with hifi less you pay stupid money.

:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006

View attachment 12827
That was the later D cells version Fordulike mentioned, The original and forerunner used the Ever-Ready 3 volt twin cell battery which was in fact a pair of side by side joined F cells with brass strip terminals. There was a knob on top which when screwed down made contact with the top strip to light the bulb. Here's two of the earliest examples:

P.S. Battery photo just added below by Tommie, they go right back to pre WW2 I think, I knew them in the 1940s.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Brakes (hydraulic rim), lights (LED) and puncture free tyres is my list

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The safety bicycle. The Rover was the first to catch on, and it and others, combined with pneumatic tyres which came a couple of years later resulted in bicycles which have not changed dramatically since. It was the safety bicycle which launched the cycling revolution of the late Victorian age and made it such a popular pastime and means of transport.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Minimalistic and sleek design for me, out with old fashioned chains and exchanged for a carbon belt, stuck on accessories such as lights, bottle batteries, better batteries which are hidden in the design, and stunning hydraulic disc brakes. This is an example of what I am talking about, and one which I own, hopefully another as well soon :)

Just compare this to some of the old fashioned eBikes still for sale that have not changed their design in many years, that look like hilly billy transport with all the attached tat :)

img_smart_ebike.jpg smart_e-bike_electric-bicycle.jpeg smart-ebike-design-tour-london-design-festival-designboom-c.jpg

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
Just compare this to some of the old fashioned eBikes still for sale that have not changed their design in many years, that look like hilly billy transport with all the attached tat :)
how may bikes have you tried before you come to this point of view?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I haven't tried any smart bikes prior to this, at the end of the day you are limited to the power output and speed, what I did like about this one is the design, it has been well thought out rather than the lazy add ons put on standard bikes without redesign, if that is what you like fair enough but not for me, I like to se things evolve not just stuck on parts. This thread is about what each person views as improvement, I have just added my views.

With regards to the internal battery, I have two, they are £300 each which is a reasonable price compared to even some bottle batteries.

I see this bike as a 2yr cycle, after that period of time there will or should be greater advances and I will off load this and upgrade, the Smart eBike has already been in production for 3 yrs so was well ahead of itself in design and equipment when launched, and from the looks of it no other manufacturer has really evolved more in terms of design, just more bolt on bits for standard type frames.

Again this is my view and I am very happy with my purchase, these are commuter touring bikes not off road or silly chip and go as fast as you can spotty youth type bikes, more for the mature individual with class should I say ;)

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I must say I do have my Ricoh on board camera as a 'bit of added tat', this was chosen for the location of the record button that can be operated by my left thumb, I have a Garmin Virb with GPS that would have been nice but doesn't suit, I have also got GoPros but they are just bulky and ugly and again not easy to operate as the Ricoh, plus the Ricoh is as near the orange as I could get to keep in style with the superb elite designer bike ;)

IMG_0660.JPG

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
The troll adds nothing new to any thread all he does is troll the same repetitive spiel , its clear he's a one trick pony.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I haven't tried any smart bikes prior to this, at the end of the day you are limited to the power output and speed, what I did like about this one is the design, it has been well thought out rather than the lazy add ons put on standard bikes without redesign, if that is what you like fair enough but not for me, I like to se things evolve not just stuck on parts. This thread is about what each person views as improvement, I have just added my views.

With regards to the internal battery, I have two, they are £300 each which is a reasonable price compared to even some bottle batteries.

I see this bike as a 2yr cycle, after that period of time there will or should be greater advances and I will off load this and upgrade, the Smart eBike has already been in production for 3 yrs so was well ahead of itself in design and equipment when launched, and from the looks of it no other manufacturer has really evolved more in terms of design, just more bolt on bits for standard type frames.

Again this is my view and I am very happy with my purchase, these are commuter touring bikes not off road or silly chip and go as fast as you can spotty youth type bikes, more for the mature individual with class should I say ;)
on the face of it, the Smart should have been a resounding success. It's designed by a very well known company and backed by a very successful distribution network, sleek advertising. So why did they see the need to cut the price from £2,500 to £1,800? the truth is, it's not as successful as it should have been. There is an old view in marketing, if your dog food does not sell, maybe because the dogs don't want to eat it.

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
The troll adds nothing new to any thread all he does is troll the same repetitive spiel , its clear he's a one trick pony.
SO you don't see the on/off and record buttons on the Ricoh camera to show I know what I am talking about?

Seems there are a few insecure people on this forum that are scared of intelligent and experienced people showing them up, well thats their problem not mine, and clearly they are being shown up for what they are, bitter and twisted stuck in the past, oh and bitchy as hell :) :)

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
on the face of it, the Smart should have been a resounding success. It's designed by a very well known company and backed by a very successful distribution network, sleek advertising. So why did they see the need to cut the price from £2,500 to £1,800? the truth is, it's not as successful as it should have been. There is an old view in marketing, if your dog food does not sell, maybe because the dogs don't want to eat it.
I will be the first to say that £2,500 was a bit rich, but then when it was launched it was ahead of its time and still is in terms of design, not many beat it for that. You have to remember it was only sold in Mercedes showrooms so not being sold to the masses, you also have to remember that from what I saw the car salesmen didn't really want to be selling bikes, so I don't think there was a ouch which is a shame as a lot of research went into it.

It has had a 3 year run and coming to the end of its life, so now ether are absolute bargains out there like my last post of one for sale at a main Mercedes dealer in Germany for £1,000. Parts are getting cheaper, batteries are £300, suspension forks £130 and you still get 2 yrs warranty through Mercedes. If you cost that out over 2yrs it is great value, I bought a spare battery and will alternate them, both have a 2yr warranty, I also bought the forks as I live in a private unmade road and it can be a bit lumpy on the wrists, I am not a front suspension type person, but having the option to switch on and off is fine for me for the odd time I use it.

Be quick if you want a bargain ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/smart-ebike-smart-electric-bike-grey-IN-STOCK-AND-READY-FOR-PICKUP-/172004935045?hash=item280c4b0585:m:mTNPRxiog88WO-0I4xFQNuQ

Last edited: