What battery?

bluemoon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2011
O.k from the last post looks like I will probably go for Banfang (8Fun) motor. I require an 20 mile round trip on my daily commute (with the possibility of charging at work) at the maxim legal uk speed, life of the system needs to be >2 years (8000miles in total). Also I like DIY and have built lot's of different bit's and bobs so happy to covert a normal cycle.

I Guess I will use a 36V hub motor so will a 10ah battery be sufficient, or should I be looking at something bigger?

The 8Fun uk kits seem to come with a Panasonic 10ah lithium battery is this worth having over the cheaper BMSbattery headway cells?

The money saved by using BMSbattery could pay for a cycle analysis from ebikes.ca...

Dan

D

Deleted member 4366

Will you save that much? Have you taken account of the postage? If there is a saving you have to think about the risk. The motors, controllers, throttles etc. are pretty reliable. It seems that most problems are with the batteries. If you get a duff one from China, they'll only offer to replace it if you send it back at your expense, so you'll be stuck with it. I know 8funbikes would replace it without quibble and I guess the same for Juicy. Having said that, I haven't heard of problems with BMSbattery, but it can still be possible. If you buy the whole kit from BMSbattery, you don't get that nice speed control panel. You'll have to wait about 5 weeks for your order to arrive from China.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Where range is concerned, much depends on how much your pedalling effort contribution is. A 10 Ah battery is enough for that daily mileage for many people. However, taking into account the loss of capacity and range that occurs over two years and you possibly relying more on the motor power in relation to your own effort, a 14 Ah or more battery would give a comfortable margin. There's also the battery life factor, the less of a battery's content that used each time before charging, the longer it tends to last.

bluemoon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Nov 18, 2011
Where range is concerned, much depends on how much your pedalling effort contribution is. A 10 Ah battery is enough for that daily mileage for many people. However, taking into account the loss of capacity and range that occurs over two years and you possibly relying more on the motor power in relation to your own effort, a 14 Ah or more battery would give a comfortable margin. There's also the battery life factor, the less of a battery's content that used each time before charging, the longer it tends to last.
Interesting, so it goes something like

*UK 10ah 8Fun battery for support..
*BMS battery for cheap higher capacity battery..

Are the panasonic cells worth having over headway though?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Are the panasonic cells worth having over headway though?
I don't know, opinions seemed to be mixed over that question. Some say the Panasonic cells are nothing special despite the maker's good name, and I've seen praise for the Headway cells. Hopefully some users of them will comment.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
The panasonic cylinder cells usually NCGR18650 are generally cheaper 1c Cells with 2c Peaks.
Just about covering the needs of the BMS / Motor controller combination.

However they are quite robust and safe esp in an alloy case. Also it will be a nice plug and play system.
10ah will be fine if you charge at work. I only ever used 3-4amp hr on a standard kit with a 250w motor to do a 20 mile round trip.

Even if your lazy if you charge at work it will be fine.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Theres also the option of a Ping battery, seem to have a good reputation and long life...