Help! What COMPLETELY LEGAL Ebike will get me up hills?

Bike & Tina Turner

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2023
My previous post was deleted despite editing out offending info, so I'll post my request again. Need bike, need to go up hill. Help, etc.

• I'm 65kg, 5'3"
  • Hills
  • £2k budget
  • Have existing 26" mountain bike I can convert but quite an old bike with rim gears
I'd appreciate some genuine advice. Thank you.

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Hi everyone! if you are looking for a solid bike that will get you up to 30 miles of range at very high speeds (up to 80miles an hour) you should consider a Boost bike. We sell quality ebikes that still have pedals! check us out at boostbikes.us we ship worldwide!
How are your bikes "COMPLETELY LEGAL"?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great question! We have pedals that make them as legal as any pedal assisted or non assisted bicycle. for more information visit our FAQ page https://boostbikes.us/pages/speed-faqs.
Are you being serious??
Member BoostBikes and that company are obviously utterly clueless about the legal position in many countries in the world. For starters their bikes all permit 20mph with assistance as standard, making them illegal as assisted bicycles in all of the countries in Europe including the UK, plus Turkey, China, Japan, Australia, New Zealand and some smaller countries. Not to even mention the illegal throttle control.

In most of those the ability of the user to change the bikes into illegal assist speeds up to 80 mph alone makes them illegal unless registered and type approved as motor vehicles, which in many of those locations is impossible. And of their own admission only one of their models has a chance of that, even in the USA.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sjpt

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I suspect it was more a case that the relatives didn't care about legality than that they thought the bikes were legal.

But I certainly agree it is a moral obligation on sellers to point out legality in very clear terms; and as many sellers have no moral sense there should be a much stronger legal requirement for them so to do.
What else are they going to say, "Yes, Mr Policeman, we knew they were illegal. please arrest me and charge me with involuntary manslaughter and take me to jail".

I went shopping today and took a shortcut. I stumbled across a local drug dealer unwrapiing whatever he had wrapped in a small piece of black bin-liner plastic. There were several very rough looking people converging on him and one guy dashing around on one of those high-powered scooters. I think the scooter guy was a look-out because he was going up and down every road in a 3-400m radius. The dealer also had a high-powered scooter tucked behind a hedge. They didn't seem to care about me. I could see exactly what was going on. I was walking and wearing old clothes. Maybe they thought I was a custermer.

Jerry Atric

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2023
Saneagles got it spot on. Everybody knows the bikes are illegal. Including the people selling them. They make perfect criminal activity vehicles fast and silent. I was talking to an EX traffic cop who said the lads riding these bikes know that unless they are wearing safety gear the police can't touch them. If they crash or injure themselves the cops in question will be all over the media and if they don't chase them they will be reprimanded for not clamping down on anti-social behaviour. Damned if they do, damned in they don't!

• Agree
Reactions: Woosh and flecc

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
  • Agree
Reactions: guerney and Az.

Bikes4two

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 21, 2020
Havant
How much of your own effort are you prepared to put in to going up the hills?

In simple terms 'Hill ascending power required' is made up of 'your input' plus 'motor input'

If you're putting in zilch power then it's all down to the motor.

On the other hand if you can contribute some power then obviously the motor power needed is less.

Simples really :cool:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I think you should continue to save those pennies till you get to £3k at least.

Its like everything, you very much get what you pay for and whilst £2k might see like a lot for a bike, the 'E' part of it leaves you with a bike that probably retails at 400 quid and it pretty much the bottom of the range.
By going a bit higher, you enter the realm of decent spec and more capable riding.
These bikes are available to bike in regular bike shops, so if any problems, they are easier, far far easier to resolve.

If you can ,try to stick with something with a Bosch motor.

In simple terms 'Hill ascending power required' is made up of 'your input' plus 'motor input'
Yes, its usually written as a percentage. So for example on for example a Gen 4 performance CX bosch motor, its outputs might be - Eco (lowest assist) 60%. So for the effort you put in, it multiplies it by 60%.
Tour+ is the next setting,, and that gives you 160%.
EMTB(effectively an automatic gearbox that acts dependent on how much force is applied by the legs) at between 160%-360%
Maximum is 360%

On something like 'tour+' that, along with gears is going to make hill climbing much easier, on maximum(360%) you're pretty much going to go up anything in pretty much any gear.

Last edited:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
aa1.jpg

that bike on the right was diy built for well under 1k as a few years old now used every day to commute to work in all weathers its not stopped working once.

its a bbs hd so not road legal but nor is my bike and that thing can kick my ass speed wise and both bikes are 24kg.

fast bike cheap parts and batts easy to fit and fix or get a haibike money pit the only original parts are frame forks and brakes motor covers.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Need bike, need to go up hill
Which hills?

Have existing 26" mountain bike I can convert but quite an old bike with rim gears
Which one? Provide full details, upload a multitude of clear photos, and our resident experts may advise?

My BBS01B is programmed to provide the same current to the motor by way of pedal assistance, as it would with throttle (removed) - it's essentially a legal throttle-less moped, activated by leg waggling. All hills are doddles for my bike... if less than 45 degrees, when my bike tips backwards, because it's not well balanced, but the motor's still game.

Last edited:
Reactions: Brik and Bikes4two

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
For the 'Chinese special' market I suppose it is.
he's willing to convert a bike.
He can start with a £500 bike, add £600 for a decent road legal kit, he'll get a bike that can winch him up more or less any big hill while pedaling as much or as little as he likes.
If he's happy with a second hand donor bike, he can get a very decent full-suspension bike with £500 budget or thereabout on Gumtree/Ebay etc.

Reactions: Az. and Bikes4two

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
Last edited:

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
He can start with a £500 bike, add £600 for a decent kit, he'll get a bike that can winch him up more or less any big hill.
You really should find room for some pre-converted Bafang mid-drive bikes Woosh - oodles of older riders out there would welcome them, I think. Set "keep current" to 100%, increase the controller amps, replace battery BMSs with higher rated ones, large capacity batteries etc. to get even one legged unfit asthmatic fatties up any hill. Call them Woosh Hill Slayers™. Conan The Barbarian logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bikes4two and Woosh

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My previous post was deleted despite editing out offending info, so I'll post my request again. Need bike, need to go up hill. Help, etc.

• I'm 65kg, 5'3"
  • Hills
  • £2k budget
  • Have existing 26" mountain bike I can convert but quite an old bike with rim gears
I'd appreciate some genuine advice. Thank you.
Woosh Santana 3, recommended for 5'4" upwards, but with this proviso from Woosh:

"If you are between 5ft2 and 5ft4, let us know, we can fit a non-suspension seat post and a flatter saddle."

It has one of the more powerful motors, the SWX02, good for riders up to 18 stones / 114 kilos. The Santana3 has legal throttle control and pedal assist . A choice of long range batteries for up to 60 miles on a charge, and prices well within your budget from a company highly respected in here for their good service.

Link to Santana 3 page

Last edited:

Bike & Tina Turner

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2023
I recall we were told "Winsley", that killer drag up from Limpley Stoke towards Bradford on Avon, B3108.
Quite a test.
I don't even know where Winsley is, you're definitely thinking of someone else. I have no idea what the incline is, I just have a series of long distance inclines all the way home (3ish miles) which I can't cope with manually. I'm not expecting to ride up a wall, I just need to be able to keep going up a slight incline for about 20 minutes.
She :cool:

My mountain bike is a very retro 1990s Raleigh, no suspension, rim brakes, probably not very suitable for converting but hey, I love this bike so I'm willing to give it a try.

Woosh Santana 3,
Looks cool, never really ridden a Holland style before, would it take some getting used to? I'm wondering too if being more upright would affect how efficiently I could pedal, especially on hills?

Attachments

Reactions: Brik