Help! What COMPLETELY LEGAL Ebike will get me up hills?

Bike & Tina Turner

Just Joined
Jun 24, 2023
My previous post was deleted despite editing out offending info, so I'll post my request again. Need bike, need to go up hill. Help, etc.

• I'm 65kg, 5'3"
  • Hills
  • £2k budget
  • Have existing 26" mountain bike I can convert but quite an old bike with rim gears
I'd appreciate some genuine advice. Thank you.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
you can turn the power down tho imo nothing they sell is road legal they just dont give a crap and sell stuff to kids what could go wrong :rolleyes:

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
you can turn the power down tho imo nothing they sell is road legal they just dont give a crap and sell stuff to kids what could go wrong :rolleyes:
I don't often seem to tick soundwave's posts, but certainly agree with this one.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

StuartsProjects

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 9, 2021
BoostBikes sells bikes with a limiter if you're outside the United States. The packaging and orientation depend on the country.
So your quite prepared to pass off to 'customers' your bikes as legal to ride on the road in the UK ?

Have you recently sold any bikes to addresses in the UK ?

pedalfettal

Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2022
Have you seen their web page? It is like a worst nightmare coming true.
The self-playing video on the Performance page confused me - riding on the left, KEEP CLEAR, UK-style bus-stops, european cars, etc; and then COLES supermarket appeared - Australia.

Jerry Atric

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 8, 2023
Gone a bit off topic (there's lots of Burke's on bikes on YouTube) Bikes &TT is a newbie like me, and was asking which bike to choose to go up hills. Quick tale of how we got here........ Raced power boats from age 15 up to International level, should have been 16 but my dad lied about my age (if you watch Bristol dock race on YouTube it will give you the flavour). Rode in MX Enduros till I was 72 yrs which ended in 2 compacted vertebrae, dodgy ankle and knackered wrist...... So not the most mechanically fit ! Gave that up as Asthma kicked in ! After what seemed like 2 years of house arrest with Covid lockdown and actually getting the Virus, my wife and I decided we better break out so we built 2 bikes for not a lot of money...... 2 bikes off eBay 30 & 50 quid and 2 X 250 W Tongsheng mid drives , according to the spec there is not any difference in torque between the 250w and the 500w, all the same motor apparently. Woosh says we wouldn't find any difference and he's dead right as son in law has a 500w and have tried both. We chose the mid drive because whether you have 80 newton metres of torque or not, if you can change to a lower gear you can still climb the hill. We ride our bikes in Derbyshire, not known for being flat, and not had a problem climbing any hills. On the subject of brakes, we have old V brakes and never had any problems stopping, you just ride within limits. On the subject of brakes, nobody mentions tyres! Our Ducati 1198 race bike has big brakes and sticky slick tyres, even an old duffer like me can get the back wheel off the ground with 2 fingers on the lever. But if you try the same trick and the tarmacs a bit damp, you'll be on your bum before you know it. Most Ebikes I've seen have thin bicycle tyres on with knobbly treads which won't give much grip on tarmac at the speeds people talk about....big brakes or not.......It's down to the friction between tyre and road regardless of how powerful your brakes are! My wife is a big fan of Seneagle and she looks forward to his physics lessons every morning, no I'm not being rude of facetious, we really do enjoy it. Thanks everyone who gave me info on my battery problem, it's really appreciated.

Reactions: jimriley

boostbikes

Jun 27, 2023
It would be stupid to buy a motorbike for all that money and then limit power on it, wouldn't you say?
The limiter is in place on our bikes to ensure compliance with customs regulations and enable their sale as electric bikes in Europe. Removing this limiter and using the bike on private property is within your rights as a citizen, regardless of the motor or battery power. While our bikes are primarily intended for the United States market, as we are located and primarily sell here, we have also sold to clients in Europe, including the United Kingdom.

"Wouldn't it be foolish to spend a significant amount of money on a motorbike and then restrict its power, don't you think?
If your intention is to ride in bike lanes, especially in the UK, in compliance with regulations, it wouldn't be the most logical choice unless you have access to private property, where the presence of a limiter is not mandated by law."

boostbikes

Jun 27, 2023
It would be stupid to buy a motorbike for all that money and then limit power on it, wouldn't you say?
The limiter is in place on our bikes to ensure compliance with customs regulations and enable their sale as electric bikes in Europe. Removing this limiter and using the bike on private property is within your rights as a citizen, regardless of the motor or battery power. While our bikes are primarily intended for the United States market, as we are located and primarily sell here, we have also sold to clients in Europe, including the United Kingdom.
So your quite prepared to pass off to 'customers' your bikes as legal to ride on the road in the UK ?

Have you recently sold any bikes to addresses in the UK ?

Hello StaurtsProject, I apologize if there was any confusion. Without the limiter, our ebikes are not permitted on European bike lanes, including those in the United Kingdom. While our primary focus is on selling to clients in the United States, we have received orders from customers in the United Kingdom as well. Our objective is to enable these bikes to be shipped to other countries simply because we have the capability to do so. There are individuals out there, apart from yourself, who could benefit from the enjoyment and utility provided by our bikes.

The specific actions and choices you make regarding your ebike are your own responsibility as a citizen. We provide the bikes in compliance with applicable regulations and guidelines, but it is up to you to adhere to any local laws or restrictions that may apply when using the bike.

matthewslack

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 26, 2021
@boostbikes, can you post images of the compliance labels on your bikes?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
any bike that has a controller that is open to being changed ie speed and amps it is not road legal on uk roads and does not comply to eapc uk law a 250w sticker means nothing as ebikes are type approved.

DSC_0052_03.JPG
DSC_0057_01.JPG
Derestriction, ‘off-road’ switches or modes and dongles

The Department of Transport say that electric bikes fitted with off-road switches or modes, that enable a bike’s motor to continue assisting to speeds beyond 15.5mph, do not comply with UK EAPC/epac law. The term ‘off-road’ suggests that these bikes can be ridden on parkland, forests or other places away from main roads, which isn’t accurate. E-bikes with increased motor power (continuous rated power above 250w) or increased speed (with motor assistance not cutting out at 15.5mph) cannot be used legally as bicycles anywhere on land accessible by the public; when riding on private land you would need permission from the landowner

selling bikes to ppl on the pretense that there road legal when there not means you only care about sales.

because you know if you told the truth then that would hurt sales, now i have a dongle on my bike so that makes it not uk road legal as it removes the 15mph limit the difference is i can remove the dongle and the bike is then road legal.

i have no way to up the amps as the controller is fully locked not even a dealer can do it.

if plod finds a bike does not comply to the epac law the bike will be ceased and only released when insurance is provided to them for a motor bike or it will be crushed.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

Hello StaurtsProject, I apologize if there was any confusion. Without the limiter, our ebikes are not permitted on European bike lanes, including those in the United Kingdom. While our primary focus is on selling to clients in the United States, we have received orders from customers in the United Kingdom as well. Our objective is to enable these bikes to be shipped to other countries simply because we have the capability to do so. There are individuals out there, apart from yourself, who could benefit from the enjoyment and utility provided by our bikes.

The specific actions and choices you make regarding your ebike are your own responsibility as a citizen. We provide the bikes in compliance with applicable regulations and guidelines, but it is up to you to adhere to any local laws or restrictions that may apply when using the bike.
You cannot make an ebike comply with UK regulations by restricting a high powered one. the law is that the motor must be rated at no more than 250w. The rating is on the motor, not the control system, nor how much power you give it. Did you get the bike tested for EN15194 compliance? If so, please show the certificate.

Also, to be legal, the bike must have a manufacturer's label that shows the maximum speed and other compliance info, like in the photo above. can you show your label?

Last edited:

chris_n

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 29, 2016
Niedeau, Austria
If you read between the lines in the recent fatal incidents it appears that relatives of the bereaved thought their bikes were legal. Selling motorbikes as bicycles is beneath contempt.

Reactions: sjpt

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If you read between the lines in the recent fatal incidents it appears that relatives of the bereaved thought their bikes were legal. Selling motorbikes as bicycles is beneath contempt.
I suspect it was more a case that the relatives didn't care about legality than that they thought the bikes were legal.

But I certainly agree it is a moral obligation on sellers to point out legality in very clear terms; and as many sellers have no moral sense there should be a much stronger legal requirement for them so to do.

Jerry Atric

May 8, 2023
What else are they going to say, "Yes, Mr Policeman, we knew they were illegal. please arrest me and charge me with involuntary manslaughter and take me to jail".

I went shopping today and took a shortcut. I stumbled across a local drug dealer unwrapiing whatever he had wrapped in a small piece of black bin-liner plastic. There were several very rough looking people converging on him and one guy dashing around on one of those high-powered scooters. I think the scooter guy was a look-out because he was going up and down every road in a 3-400m radius. The dealer also had a high-powered scooter tucked behind a hedge. They didn't seem to care about me. I could see exactly what was going on. I was walking and wearing old clothes. Maybe they thought I was a custermer.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015