What electric mountain bike.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
I have the Pro-Rider E Tourer bike which I bought new, very pleased with it indeed. I do go off road mostly on the bike & am thinking an electric mountain bike would be a nice addition as would probably handle the terrain better.

Looking for some recommendations, I would probably buy new & if I do I would want to have the throttle facility so it must be up-datable to have a throttle fitted.

Not spending loads of money either as I am not using it in any sort of competitive situation. Just looking for value for money.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
Try a Bosch CX drive in Turbo, I'd be surprised if you still think a throttle is needed.
£2000-2500 would get you OK hardtail eMTB with CX drive.

Last edited:

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford

I do have a nice GT Aggressor mountain bike, disc brakes/Shimano gears/heat treated alloy frame, had it a few years & cost me close to £500 when I bought it, still immaculate condition, are you saying that I can fit this kit onto the bike then get a battery & it will be an electric bike, does the kit have a throttle & would it be powerful enough for my mountain bike off road that I want or will the power be the same as my pro rider bike.

Sounds like a good idea if it will fit my bike. Is it reliable ?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

speed or range you cant have both ;)

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
I am happy with the 15.5 mph with a 250w motor as I will go on the road to get to the places I want to go off road so want it to be legal, I don't want speed just maybe a bit more torque to get me along in the dirt & grass.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Not spending loads of money either as I am not using it in any sort of competitive situation. Just looking for value for money.
I would recommend you convert your GT Agressor with either Bafang BBS01 kit or the GSM CD kit.

http:/wooshbikes.co.uk//?cdkit

The GSM is a fair bit cheaper than the BBS01.

• Informative
Reactions: VictoryV

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
I have looked around at several bikes & a couple that seem to stand out because they are not too expensive are the Woosh big bear or Wisper 905 SE, the 905 Torque sounds better for off road but the price is a bit more than I really want to pay given its just a weekend thing. Swaying more to the 905 as reviews are pretty good. Not sure if if I can be interested to add a kit to my Aggressor, the kit plus battery would probably be more than a complete off the peg bike.

Can the Big Bear or 905 have a throttle conversion done as although I don't mind peddling I do like the throttle option.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
The Big Bear has already a throttle.
It is shipped unplugged though. You only have to plug it in, 5 second job.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
The Big Bear has already a throttle.
It is shipped unplugged though. You only have to plug it in, 5 second job.

Thats useful to know, whats it like for torque ? I want 15.5 MPH but off road I guess torque on grass & dirt track would need to be better than my Pro Rider

What about the 905, can that have a throttle fitted without to much of a problem.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Thats useful to know, whats it like for torque ? I want 15.5 MPH but off road I guess torque on grass & dirt track would need to be better than my Pro Rider
the Big Bear has loads of torque from its large Bafang BPM motor but it is not a bike to take off-road because the motor is at the front, you can lose traction.
The Bali, Rio MTB and the Rio FB are much more suited.

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
That Rio MTB looks very nice, the Rio FB looks like its meant to go off road, I know it has fat tyres but no front suspension, do the tyres really dampen the lumps & bumps like front suspension.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
That Rio MTB looks very nice, the Rio FB looks like its meant to go off road, I know it has fat tyres but no front suspension, do the tyres really dampen the lumps & bumps like front suspension.
no and decent forks cost decent money or get some 2nd hand fox forks of ebay ;)

Reactions: Woosh

blueboy

Pedelecer
May 13, 2017
Bedford
Would any suspension forks fit with these chunky tyres or do they need to be something specific. I guess I would also need to get some that were the correct length of stalk to go through the frame as well. I do like the look of the bike & with suspension front forks I could be happy as long as the motor has a bit more torque than my Pro Rider for going off road.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015