What is the best theft proof bike?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
eHomer, the wrong impression would be that all other colleague park their bike outside, so why would I bring my bike inside the office? if I have a bag to hide I could do that. But then I have to find a bag big enough to put my brompton inside and the battery, as well as professional enough not to give them impression I'm bringing my home with me.

Trex, no I'm not bringing my dahon to london yet, because I'm not settled yet

eHomer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 20, 2012
eHomer, the wrong impression would be that all other colleague park their bike outside, so why would I bring my bike inside the office?......

Sorry Cwah, I missed that bit.

Have any of their bikes been nicked then ?

Does the company have some bike parking facility, or is it just a Public rack or something in the street ?

Does that mean your main worry would be on those occasions you travel over to Paris and have to leave the bike overnight ?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
i don't know if their bike have been stolen, but it's a small company and no parking space... so yeah, it has to be left on the street.

yeah, sometime I go back for a week to paris lol

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I wouldn't leave a brompton outside for 2min in london. They are great if/when you can take them inside but from what I can tell the first time you leave them outside they get stolen or parts get stolen off them.

Halfords own brand is where it's at.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
I repaired a guys bromie last year and that arrived in a neat bag, bit like a soft suitcase with wheels. There must be someone selling them out there. Also some where I have seen a German company who makes trailers for them which turn in to trolley/case things. If any employer complains at them they must be miserable *&%&$£

Last edited:

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Why would you not take your bike back home if you are off to Paris?
Because it's not simple to bring back a bike home. It's a massive luggage and I have other things to carry with me. The easiest one is the brompton and I had it stolen.

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
cwah, Just to say the link in your signature doesn't work.
Best of luck getting the bike back.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Because it's not simple to bring back a bike home. It's a massive luggage and I have other things to carry with me. The easiest one is the brompton and I had it stolen.
By home, I meant your base in London. The one you are commuting to work from.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
I'm planning to have a proper basement when I'll be settle somewhere.

I'm currently contracting in london so it may finishes anytime.

That's why it doesn't make sense for me to leave my bike in london as I may move anytime.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
cwah, Just to say the link in your signature doesn't work.
Best of luck getting the bike back.
It does work, you have to copy the link to your browser.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
what about a trolley suitcase with wheels that you leave in the office, turn up, get the bag, put the bike inside and leave it in the trolley case.

Will Self has a trolley bag for his brompton that fits into hand luggage on planes so must be pretty small (i sat next to him on a flight to the US once) but the problem is that you'd have to carry the case as well unless you can leave that in the office?

((off topic - he apparently uses it in big hotels in the US to ride to breakfast - great idea given the miles of corridors big US hotels have))

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
DC, you need to select the entire link, right click > copy then past it in browser url. I tried it. It works.

Ghouluk, I'm keen to hear about such a trolley suitcase big enough to put the brompton inside, but as well able to roll on the road while I'm moving away. I haven't heard of any able to do that yet.

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
to clarify, you want a suitcase that can be towed behind the brompton when you're riding it? rather than one you leave at work?

ghouluk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 11, 2013
a quick google search found this...don't know if its any good or not...but you could apply a similar principle to most trailers that are essentially flat bed - looks like a bit of hassle though perhaps not as much as replacing stolen bikes!

Suitcase

D

Deleted member 4366

It doesn't work for me either (Chrome and IE 11).

Edit: Yes it does. I found the problem - copying too much. There's two links in the line.

Last edited by a moderator: