What lights do you use

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
I use twin own-design dipped beam Cree XM-L lightheads at the front, running at 3A.

Just finished making a rear light comprising three 2w red Cree XP-E LEDs. I'm only running it at half its maximum current as it's insanely bright anyway.

(rear on brightest, front on half power)
Michael

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I use twin own-design dipped beam Cree XM-L lightheads at the front, running at 3A.

Just finished making a rear light comprising three 2w red Cree XP-E LEDs. I'm only running it at half its maximum current as it's insanely bright anyway.

(rear on brightest, front on half power)
Michael

I like high power rear lights as I feel that is where the greatest danger lurks and like you use red Cree LEDs to create a wall of unmissable light. I'm not impressed by the cheap AAA battery powered units.

Andy_H

Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
[

Michael
Great looking setup, that rear light should certainly get you noticed.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Looks like an after burner Michael.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Looks like an after burner Michael.
It does a bit. That is on high though - it's only at that level a few milliseconds each second for an attention-grabbing flash. The main light level isn't as bright as that.
I got this Philips USB rechargeable front light after it was recommended here - It still works a treat after a year and since having it I haven't crashed into any hedges...
The Saferides are great lights. Wonderful example of putting the light right where you need it, and not where you don't.

Gringo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 18, 2013
Northampton
I've tried quit a few cheap rear lights but the brightest by far is one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-2-LED-Bicycle-Cycling-Bike-Safety-Flashing-Light-Lamp-Rear-Tail-Hot-/252093307272?hash=item3ab1ee9988
2 X 0.5 watt led's. I did consider running it from a single lipo (3.7v) but 2aaa batteries last for many hours.
It works as a day time light even when it's sunny :cool:
as to front lights, I'm still to find my favorite, all that I've tried have a nasty hotspot, great at lighting a spot on a distant building but the spread of light is not even.
At the moment I have one of these as my day light (running off my own lipo)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200-Lumens-XMK-T6-Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-LED-Front-HEAD-with-2-Rubber-Rings-/201384203427?hash=item2ee36f14a3

Krip

Just Joined
Nov 5, 2015
Can anyone explain why it's not possible to use a dynamo version of B+M Cyo with the 6v connection on the Bosch Performance line? Today I have connected a CREE XML light to the 6v outlet and it works fine. The problem is that it's to wide and the people that I meet get blinded.

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I've tried quit a few cheap rear lights but the brightest by far is one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-Bright-2-LED-Bicycle-Cycling-Bike-Safety-Flashing-Light-Lamp-Rear-Tail-Hot-/252093307272?hash=item3ab1ee9988
2 X 0.5 watt led's. I did consider running it from a single lipo (3.7v) but 2aaa batteries last for many hours.
It works as a day time light even when it's sunny :cool:
as to front lights, I'm still to find my favorite, all that I've tried have a nasty hotspot, great at lighting a spot on a distant building but the spread of light is not even.
At the moment I have one of these as my day light (running off my own lipo)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1200-Lumens-XMK-T6-Cycling-Bike-Bicycle-LED-Front-HEAD-with-2-Rubber-Rings-/201384203427?hash=item2ee36f14a3
How the hec' do they do that first one for £2.34 delivered? I realise it's a Chinese import, but it would cost that much just to deliver it in England!

Lancslass

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 3, 2015
Egerton, BL7 North Bolton, Lancashire
I have one of these on the rear: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261721544880?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&var=560590995165&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
I could have got it for about £1.99 if I'd been patient enough to wait for delivery from China but with batteries included, I'm happy at the price I paid. Has slow and fast flash to alert cars which is all I'm bothered about since I don't ride in the dark. It was real easy to fit.
I also have a flashing light as part of my helmet which I always put on as well.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes it is the 42V lamp so it will work with any 36V battery. Does your controller have light power out socket? If not you just connect to the battery and use the on/off switch on the light.

I am going to buy the same one for my next build. I have the IXON IQ battery powered light and at 40 lux of beautiful beam it is already fabulous!

Deere John

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 13, 2015
EU
Yes it is the 42V lamp so it will work with any 36V battery. Does your controller have light power out socket? If not you just connect to the battery and use the on/off switch on the light.

I am going to buy the same one for my next build. I have the IXON IQ battery powered light and at 40 lux of beautiful beam it is already fabulous!
Thanks! Unfortunately no light power out. Have prepared a cable from the battery. Will use the tail light also with another cable to the rear.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What about the 175Q75 / 6NE7781? Also on my list.

6.5 to 75V and s-pedelec approved, just in case you decide to upgrade to a 48V battery one day. 65€

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I use a triple u6 front (solar star copy) nice spread beam for near to mid distance. (6600l)

And a banggood motorbike led headlamp(10000l) for night rides on the south downs. It is more of concentrated beam and lights up half of Sussex ! T was a tenner or so delivered and is too powerful for road unless aimed directly in front of your front tire ! Can run off any supply between 10v and 80v . Mine runs off a 12v pack on one bike and off the main 36v pack on another

I use a smart r2 on rear alongside an aldi moon copy.

Cheers

paul20v

Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2015
How the hec' do they do that first one for £2.34 delivered? I realise it's a Chinese import, but it would cost that much just to deliver it in England!
Because the chinese postage on exports is free ,
This is also why you see things on ebay for 99p and £20 postage they get the money that way

Black Dog

Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
I have a couple of Moon Meteors (200 and 250 lumen) which are good enough (just) for totally unlit lanes on full power. In this mode, they last about 90 minutes, which is my one-way commute plus a 50% safety margin. While they are not the brightest, they are very convenient (size of a matchbox, USB chargeable, no external battery) and seem very well made.