what size rivnuts for downtube battery mounting ali or steel

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
hello all need to add some rivnuts to cycle front downtube for battery mounting, I believe m5 are the ones do I go for ali or ss steel but have no idea on length of rivnut, do I need to buy the rivnut tool.

link if possible where to purchase said rivnuts.

thanks again

C

Cyclezee

I second Trex on that one and use exactly the same, I would also go for steel rather than aluminium as the threads are stronger.

baldylox

Pedelecer
May 25, 2012
Hants/Wilts border
As trex says above, all worked well for my additional battery mounts.
Also make sure the rivnut has a good wide collar for stability.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
thanks all rivnuts and tool ordered I assume 5mm was the correct size for mounts, can see me finding lots of other uses and applications for rivnuts in the near future

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I use a 2.5mm drill bit to start the hole then 6.5mm drill bit (for M5 rivnuts) and clean by hand with a small round file.

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
the front downtube already has 2 water bottle mount inserts but they are low down and although I have not offered up the battery yet I might just utalise the top one and fit 2 more so I will be drilling the frame.

thanks all

footpump

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2014
rivnuts and tool arrived yesterday tool is nice and robust, its about 30 years since I used a rivnut tool and I would think stainless rivnuts would be near nigh impossible.

rivnut now fitted to downtube.

thanks again