What speed can you reach after power cut out at 15mph using leg power?

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
I was out today and I set off an auto speed sign that shows your speed, I was shocked I firstly I didn't think it would pick up a pedal bike, and secondly that it showed 22mph, that has given me the incentive to go back tomorrow and see if I can beat that, also keep an eye on my speedo.

If anyone is interested I will video it all and post the film here tomorrow showing my bike speed, and the sign activating and showing my speed :) I wonder if I can hit 25mph on the Merc Smart eBike, maybe get 30mph with my new ratio hub in a month or so! It really takes it out on your legs after 15mph, lucky mine are very strong in short bursts, if there is interest then I will film it :)

Croxden

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2013
North Staffs
Not interested.

kangooroo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 24, 2015
Wye Valley
I've only managed 19mph (but I can't boast strong legs) and have been picked up a couple of times by the signs. Maximum downhill has been 29 - the bike could go faster but I wouldn't trust the brakes on our local roads.

• Agree
Reactions: LeighPing

top drive

Pedelecer
Jul 20, 2016
ABerdoom
Aint got an ebike yet....its on way.

But i can do 25 miles out and back in 59:50 :) under competition rules on glamis-couper angus course.

And hit 94kph off glenshee beating my pb of 89kph off off col du galibier on my regular bikes.

I dont ever want to do those speeds on my ebike. It would defeat the purpose of an ebike for me..... To arrive on my bike but not be sweaty :)

• Agree
D

Deleted member 4366

I was on an Oxygen S-Cross CB today. 25.5 mph in the carpark. It's a seriously fast bike. Maybe I accidentally hit the derestrictor sequence.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
terminal velocity is 122mph if you throw it off a cliff ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
might have a cash flow problem if wanting a designer one of those.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
On level ground in very light / no wind, I can maintain 20 mph. But that is on my unassisted road bike. On the ebike, going above the cut off speed of 15 mph is seriously hard word due to the drag in the transmission and not worth the effort.

I suppose that if I threw my ebike off a tall building it would achieve about 120 mph, so downhill my maximum speed will be somewhere between 15.1 and 120 mph, depending on the gradient.

Izzyekerslike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 3, 2015
Leeds, West Yorkshire
I'm afraid this is a really silly thread as the whole raison d'être of EAPCs seems to be lost on some contributors.

Tom
Not a silly thread at all. Apart from the option of getting from a to b some people's reason for owning an EAPC is to have some fun enjoy riding and the freedom it brings and personally I enjoy the light hearted and amusing threads.

Reactions: tillson and Gubbins

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Not a silly thread at all. Apart from the option of getting from a to b some people's reason for owning an EAPC is to have some fun enjoy riding and the freedom it brings and personally I enjoy the light hearted and amusing threads.
And we wouldn't have our most colourful character with his high octane offerings

Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
With regard to the op.. I have an emtb and an e road bike.
On the road... on the emtb I find it difficult to get past the cutoff except in short bursts but on the electric road I can easily get past and can ride at 18+ without being over stressed and short bursts at 25+.
Which just shows the difference geometry and tyres make as they are both of a similar weight.

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
I don't get it. 15.5 cutoff is the max. assist speed, yet you can do 40 mph if you have the legs for it. It's downright criminal!

In my opinion, anyone that can do that is a moped. :rolleyes:

• :D
Reactions: Izzyekerslike

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
My reason for the test was more fun after seeing it yesterday, I get frustrated when I hit the assist cut off because on clear roads I am ready to move along a little quicker, I just hit resistance over 15.5mph which is annoying, its like hitting glue but power can drive through albeit for me a short burst. I have so much to do in my fun retired life that I don't really have the time to dawdle about when my legs still work. I can't do the test the other direction as there isn't a speed detector, the road is flat so should be the same.

The only problem I can see is that when your legs are going round like **** due to the gearing then you lose the ability to maintain a constant fast speed, hence my note about it being a short burst. Why can't the power be switched off and resistance removed so leg power can continue when required?

Just having a coffee with the Au Pair on the lawn (beautiful weather here) then may pop out for a blast :)

Last edited:

Smart eBiker

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 15, 2015
Has anyone successfully de-restricted one of these chavvy Smart eBikes?
I think you mean DESIGNER, less of the chav please, I have class and would never associate myself with anything or anyone chavvy!

Regards,

Owner/rider
Daimler Mercedes DESIGNER Smart eBike

• :D

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
The nearest speed cam is miles away from me, and we don't have those posh things that tell you how fast you're going here.

Anyway, law and order every time me. 15.5 mph is plenty fast enough.

36.jpg

D

Deleted member 4366

I get frustrated when I hit the assist cut off because on clear roads I am ready to move along a little quicker, I just hit resistance over 15.5mph which is annoying, its like hitting glue but power can drive through albeit for me a short burst.
The problem is that you have the wrong bike if you want to do that. Your direct drive motor makes some resistance to turning when no power is applied. The bikes with Chinese hub-motors nearly all have clutches, which means that the hub can freewheel without resistance from the motor, so speed is not inhibited like it is on yours.

Obviously, if you switch on the regeneration, it'll be like applying the brakes, so it'll be a lot worse.