What to choose

Domenic Azzopardi

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Hi thanks for accepting me in the group.
I need some help in deciding what to buy. I am between buying a bosch motor active plus or performance line.
I need the bike for urban use but I have some uphills. What do you recommend please? Thanks for your time

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Hi thanks for accepting me in the group.
I need some help in deciding what to buy. I am between buying a bosch motor active plus or performance line.
I need the bike for urban use but I have some uphills. What do you recommend please? Thanks for your time
Firstly welcome

Next up more details. How heavy and fit are you.? Budget? Have you tried either? What has got you to the choice of two motors already?

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

that will kick ass :p

Reactions: Domenic Azzopardi

Amoto65

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 2, 2017
Cheshire
The Carrera Crossfuse is very good, had one for nearly a year now and have ridden it all over the Peak District without any problems. I got it in the new year sale at Halfords and it was much cheaper than it is now, but either way I would certainly recommend any bike with the Bosch Activeline plus motor.

Reactions: Domenic Azzopardi

Domenic Azzopardi

Just Joined
Dec 2, 2019
Hi I am around 98kg. I just want to use it for work and some commutes without all the sweat . Regarding fitness I am not so fit. Regarding budget I am going on the range of €2000/2300 max. I saw atala an khalkoff both with the bosch system at that price range.

Reactions: KirstinS

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
I can't say I have any knowledge of the real world difference between those motors

What I can say, from your intended use at any rate, is either will do job just fine. The bike it is actually attached to will make a vastly bigger difference

One large thing to say, apologies if you know already, is Bosch are torque sensor not cadence sensor. This means the more effort you put in then more the system puts in. With a cadence sensor you can "ghost pedal". This means you can just turn the pedals for near zero effort and get max power from the system

You cannot do that with Bosch

I'm a year round commuter of a decade on Ebikes. No showers at work (well 2 for 700 people)

Your main stated aim lends to a cadence sensor bike not torque IMHO. This is what I use on both my current bikes. A torque sensor feels more natural perhaps but for no sweat - cadence all the way

if you possibly can try both systems and as many bikes as you are able. That's the best way

Last edited:

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Also your budget is great, you prob don't need to spend that much for your use though.

Don't forget for commuting you ll need to buy buy decent gear (jackets, over trousers, lights and so forth). Doesn't need to be stupid money but just factored in. I have given my thoughts on best budget vs quality gear in another thread if interested

A decade of commuting at least 15 miles every single day regardless of weather gives me lots of real world experience. I have made all the errors for you over the years!

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

add a dongle to remove the speed limit and it will be like a pro bike rider and loose waight ;)

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
View attachment 33223

add a dongle to remove the speed limit and it will be like a pro bike rider and loose waight ;)
Thats a lovely bike SW but removing the speed limit doesn't stop it being a torque sensor bike at its heart. Sweat free commuting is done with cadence not torque sensors

(plus speed limit removal is llegal for the OP info but very unlikely to ever get caught or prosecuted - please see the many many other threads on this so let's not get distracted here)

Reactions: Fat Rat

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
there is no law if it is not enforced all it is is words on a piece of paper.

id not want to do much more than ten miles each way tho if it was me but the first bike can do over 60mph :p

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
there is no law if it is not enforced all it is is words on a piece of paper.

id not want to do much more than ten miles each way tho if it was me but the first bike can do over 60mph :p
Please SW can you keep the legal vs illegal debate to the threads dedicated to it.

OP needs to know it exists but more crucial is a useful bike at a sensible price that meets requirements.

In this instance I'm not really sure you are helping the OP

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
Please SW can you keep the legal vs illegal debate to the threads dedicated to it.

nope they only pm me and fill up my in box :D

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton

nope they only pm me and fill up my in box :D
Then start your own dedicated SW destrict /dongle thread please fella. It isn't helpful to repeat in every thread. Especially when is not the question asked

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
ill post what i want where i want ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

he got ran over buy a ebike going 30mph and tor a muscle trying to catch it, yet he now has a ebike that can do 58mph in new york where the limit is 20mph and post it on you tube.

so if the bike was going 40mph he would of never got hit and prob never bought a ebike pmsl :D

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and the point is what, ok you dont like the fact using bikes above 15mph is not road legal yet the biggest haibike dealer and others sell and fit dongles and honer the warranty.

and every kit on ebay is also not road legal as can change the settings power wise but you are ok with that.

and if you want i think ebikes limited to 15mph are shite and if i could not remove the speed limit id never buy one as on rides with mates id be left for dust.

im not fit they are simple as that.

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Assuming you're not talking about the new CX with large chainwheel, out of the two, I'd use an Active Line motor, which is more reliable and more user-friendly; however, for urban use, I wouldn't use either. A hub motor will be more reliable and is significantly more user-friendly than either of those two.

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Also to bear in mind is that, with any Bosch system, you are tied into their expensive parts and service. Any motor faults require the agent to strip off the motor and return it to Germany, there have been reports of 6 week waits. Not very useful for a commuter.
Conversely hub motored bikes are mostly generic Chinese parts, user serviceable/replaceable with bucket loads of advice and knowledge on the forum.