What to do when the old bike dies?

Branwen

Pedelecer
Oct 2, 2007
I'm swithering about what to do with my old bike since its sad demise.

I would like to keep a normal bike and an electric bike in the future.

Electric bike would need to be a good hill climber, light enough to cycle without power if the battery went flat, comfortable for city cycling and available in a low step through model. I don't care about going fast. I think having a LaFree before means I'd want something similar, a change to a hub motor might not be pleasant, perhaps.

I'm really swithering about what to do with the old bike though. I got it in 2003 and had it serviced twice in the winters and once in the summers every year, but the motor is broken, and the wheels need a repair. Otherwise the shop says its in good condition and would cost maybe £300 for repairs and stripping off the broken motor, giving me a good quality secondhand town bike. For £300 I could buy a new bike from the same shop, but they said such a bike would feel like a step down from the basic bike quality I had before in the LaFree, even with the bonus of finally having more than three gears.

The thing I can think of that would make a difference is, what would the LAfree weigh once it was stripped back to a normal, non electric bike. I've been riding it for a while without the battery on - though not really enjoying it - would the weight of the motor being removed really make that much difference? And would the build quality feel so differrent on a cheaper bike?

If not - I think I might just buy a cheap folder like the Urbanlite which would at least feel improved if only because its only 15kg and has more than 3 gears. I can manage a non electric bike with my asthma for some journeys, and not others, and would like a spare bike for when things go wrong, but would appreciate any advice on what my next bikes should be.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
Flecc's your man for advise on the Giant. I think from the lite onwards the Giant's where quite light bikes, so maybe removing the battery and motor would bring the weight down to a normal unassisted bike...shame though, it would be nice if it could be kept original and working...no chance of fixing it at all?

Fecn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2008
Warlingham, Surrey
If the fault is with the motor controller electronics rather than the motor windings themselves, then it will be possible to replace the circuit board with an external controller instead (£35 from China). There was an article in A2B magazine a few months ago about doing that swap.

If the fault is more mechanical in nature though (cracked casing, worn bearings etc), then it's probably had it.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Cant a replacement motor be sourced for reasonable money? laced into a wheel by someone like SJS.......

I would try and keep it electric:)

Oop's sorry, this is a Panasonic style bike right?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The motor can't be stripped off to use it as a normal bike since the bottom bracket is part of the motor unit. All that can be done is the motor content stripped out to leave the shell holding the BB parts.

Bikerbob

Pedelecer
May 10, 2007
Isle of Man
My feeling is that a £300 unassisted bike, designed as such and with suitable gearing, will be more efficient and better to ride than a stripped out electric bike. I know it seems a shame to abandon a much loved old bike but sometimes we have to move on!

I have a full sized electric bike and an unassisted folder (Dahon Vitesse D7). I'd only recommend the folder route if the ability to fold is important to you. In terms of riding I find that the 20in wheel folder takes more effort and has a less comfortable riding position than a full sized bike. (Its worth it for me for the ease of transport).

Blue bliss

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 18, 2010
I have searched high and low to try to find a new battery for my bliss bike,sadly nobody seems to stock them,so unless I can find one soon the old bike will will have to go.A great shame as its been a superb little bike.

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
I have searched high and low to try to find a new battery for my bliss bike,sadly nobody seems to stock them,so unless I can find one soon the old bike will will have to go.A great shame as its been a superb little bike.

can you not rebuild the pack ? what battery cells does it have inside the battery case ?

Blue bliss

Feb 18, 2010
I dont know what cells it takes,do I undo the case? and what do I look for? sorry Im not tecky minded.Any advise would be great if it could extend the bikes life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Open up the case and have a look inside. You could see a group of cells like these but with tagged ends, in which case it will be an NiMh battery:

Alternatively, you might see two or three box batteries somewhat like this, in which case it will be an SLA battery (sealed lead acid):

Then let us know which you've found, together with how many cells or box batteries are in there.

Andrew harvey

Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2008
Wyre Forest
www.smiths-cycles.com
replacing the controller with an external unitis a bit fiddly but not a problem if your battery is still good, you would also get the benefit of a throttle as the pedal sensors used on the Panasonic system wouldn't be compatible. Ideally a controller restricted to about 15 a should be used.
I have a contact who can recell batteries but he likes to deal with trade only, if blue bliss was to contact me I'm sure I could help.

Blue bliss

Feb 18, 2010
Thankyou all for being so helpful.My friend next door is coming round tomorrow to help look into the battery as Im a bit wary of doing it,dont want to get a shock or break anything! Ive just looked in the instruction manual and it says about the battery Ni MH Battery,9AH, if thats any help.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, you may be able to get a ready made pack of the NiMh cells to solder into place. The link below shows packs, select either 24 volt or 36 volt depending on which your system is, plus the Ah group that includes 9, and you'll see the choice of pack shapes available from this US company, but only select those with D size cells:

Batteryspace

Alternatively avail yourself of Andrew's kind offer which will relieve you of any technical work.

Blue bliss

Feb 18, 2010
We took the case off and found a squarish - 6 1/2 x 5 1/2 battery block containing 20 little battery looking things,there is a straightforward white clip,is it possible to buy this block of batteries as I think we would manage to change it as its only a clip!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
If it's a connector that looks a bit like this one, but with three connections:

this pack is suitable:

24 volt pack with Molex connector

Even if the connector turns out to be the wrong one, you can swap it for your present one.

However, included in your present pack is a device called a thermistor which will have to be changed over into the new pack and similarly connected and soldered into place. In addition, I sense that you are not at all familiar with the technicalities and requirements for doing this.

Therefore, since Andrew's offer will probably be no more expensive than importing this pack with added postage costs from the USA and possibly paying import duties and VAT as well, I think it would be wiser to contact Andrew first to explore the recelling option.

Blue bliss

Feb 18, 2010
Thankyou for your advice.It is very nice of Andrew to help,I will send him a message.

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
google "battery packs UK" you should be able to find a UK company able to rebuild your battery pack, you will need to tell them your application so they can build you a pack with the correct cells. personaly i like to buy in the UK if I can, my small way of keeping British business alive.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
personaly i like to buy in the UK if I can, my small way of keeping British business alive.
I like to as well Dan, but time after time, British companies offering recelling either fail, do a poor job, or drop the service. I lost count of how many times I amended the advice on my Lafree site on this subject.

The situation is the similar with buying replacement "off the shelf" NiMh packs, none here but available in the USA.

dan

Pedelecer
Sep 30, 2009
I like to as well Dan, but time after time, British companies offering recelling either fail, do a poor job, or drop the service. I lost count of how many times I amended the advice on my Lafree site on this subject.

The situation is the similar with buying replacement "off the shelf" NiMh packs, none here but available in the USA.
It is a volume thing our company used to keep some Ni-Mh packs in stock for Ebikes, but the volumes were so low we stopped. Cells have a shelf life and without volume sales it's not economical to stock them. We sell hundreds of packs per month for RC models, hand held devices and emergency lighting, but we never sold many Ni-Mh batteries for Ebikes.

Same thing now with lithium batteries, no standard size battery pack, many different types of cells, all different BMS. So you have to go back to the original bike or battery supplier for batteries. If they go out of business or can't get supplies for whatever reason, it can be a problem.

Guess that is one advantage of lead acid batteries, they may be heavy and not have a long life, but they are relatively cheap to buy, readily available, and they are built in standard sizes, so you can shop around for a good price.