what would your second bike be

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Hi everyone
hope your enjoying the lovely weather its hot in southampton:D If you were to buy a 2nd bike what would it be and why:) as some forum members know i have a torq and love wizzing about at 22mph later this year i will buy a second bike:eek: but not sure if i want to go back down to 15mph:eek: what would other torq owners do.NIGEL

ITSPETEINIT

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 11, 2006
Mere, Wilts
A Rolls-Royce or Ford 8?

Hi everyone
hope your enjoying the lovely weather its hot in southampton:D If you were to buy a 2nd bike what would it be and why:) as some forum members know i have a torq and love wizzing about at 22mph later this year i will buy a second bike:eek: but not sure if i want to go back down to 15mph:eek: what would other torq owners do.NIGEL
I have been toying with the idea of a second bike for some time since my Torq failed to lift my bulk (see my profile) up a 1 in 10 with considerable feeble assistance.
I have jumped from one idea to another and have been warned off by those of you who have had (bad) experience with outlandish claims.
It has been said before on this Forum - innovation in Electric bikes is slow and much of it over-hyped.
I have repeatedly come back to the same point: the best bike is the one you can try, are familiar with and fits one's unnatural frame (body) - in short, something like the Tourer beloved of yesterday but requiring too much effort today.
The ANSWER is a Kit! on the Bike of one's choice - whatever your budget will stand.
I've read a little about the Heinzmann Kits and how they fill many of the gaps left unattended by the better marques of electric bikes - they provide CHOICE.
Street-legal or otherwise, they range from the common or garden nominal 200 watts/maximum 400 watts to nominal 900 watts/maximum 2000watts. From the bog standard 15 mph to a choice between speed ( 19 or 23 mph) and High Torque for Fatties on Hills: with many variations like 24V or 36 Volt: one or two batteries properly accommodated and various other choices to suit one's predilections (perhaps that should be "pedalictions") Big grin! (can't use a smiley here - I used up all my ration).
I don't suppose it's perfect but there's another alternative: A SWIZBEE !! (perhaps one could try it on Hampstead Hill?)
Peter

electric.mike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 16, 2007
grimsby
nigel
it would be a mountain bike with good off road capabilities, we have loads of concrete/ grass sea defences with miles of beaches in my area, a bike with a low top speed but good handling on hard sand , a range of 25-30miles would give a great day out picnic and binoculars in my bag.:D
mike

sorry that should be 3rd bike

Last edited:

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
Hi Nigel,

my second bike is an Ezee Sprint (first is a Torq), although I bought it because the price was right rather than it being ideal, having said that it is turning out to be a useful bike, having battery interchangeability with the torq is very convenient and it's a great hill climber, it does lack the looks and handling of the torq though.

My first bike (Before the Ezee's) was a much cheaper machine purchased from an ebay shop, it had a great spec which turned out to be somewhat exaggerated, ie 30 miles was really 15, 25kg was 28kg etc.. The bike suffered continual faults and eventually went into electrical meltdown, the battery wasn't even protected by a fuse:eek: - a new meaning for the "China Syndrome". So beware, there really is some junk about.

For me the Torq is a very hard bike to beat, some have criticised it's hill climbing ability, but with modified gearing to suit my riding style that is not a problem, it has great range and its speed is legendary;) . It would be nice if it were a bit lighter, but realistically comparing it to comparable non-powered hybrids it is about 10kg heavier, if one removes the rack, stand etc that the non powered machine doesn't have anyway then the difference is more like 8½ kg and it is difficult to imagine how anyone could produce a battery/controller/motor combination that is any lighter with similar power and range.

Basically what I'm saying is that my ideal second bike would be like a Torq but with a titanium frame, carbon fibre components etc, I'd never be able to afford it though so maybe I'd settle for another Torq, but stripped to the bone with thin tyres just for fine weather road use.

Ian.

Flying Kiwi

Pedelecer
Dec 25, 2006
Buckinghamshire
Swizzbee for me

I've read a little about the Heinzmann Kits and how they fill many of the gaps left unattended by the better marques of electric bikes - they provide CHOICE.
If you want a bike that already comes with a Heinzmann motor and IS innovative (nothing else like it in terms of it's very sophisticated dual input rear hub/gear arrangement and controller - there's no hub motor on this baby), I can think of one that fits the bill.
I don't suppose it's perfect but there's another alternative: A SWIZBEE !! (perhaps one could try it on Hampstead Hill?)
Peter
Yep thats the bike and a big bill it is that it fits (around £2500 :eek: ). It's my choice of electric bike too but as it's been out for a few years now I suspect a new model might be along soon.... I'll start saving!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
As I already have three e-bikes, for me it's what would be the next one!

In fact I'm in the process of creating it at the moment, no news at this time but full details in due course. There are also outline plans for another to follow that one in turn, so I'm keeping busy. :)

nigel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 18, 2006
Nigel

thanks flecc and all forum members for all your replys and good luck with your project flecc will be waiting with intrest:D NIGEL