What's the best Map App

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
If I remember correctly, the police were told directly to used discretion and not enforce this.
From https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike

Fortunately, when FPNs were introduced for pavement cycling in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

There is more detail if you follow the link.

Reactions: Ocsid

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
When I was younger we used to call them causeways or causey for short.
I believe Local Authorities refer to the roadside walkways as "footways" here, the other side of the pond, it is "sidewalks", these terms clear differentiate them from the "footpath" a right of way.

Whilst unless dedicated as a shared way for pedestrians and cyclist, then cycling is technically illegal, but in practice both tolerated and even encouraged if it is the safer and sensible option.
The biggest risk IMO is not from the police, but from a civil claim should you come to hurt, even a "dozzy" pedestrian. Costs from that could so quickly build up to "life changing" levels.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
From https://www.cyclinguk.org/article/whats-legal-and-whats-not-your-bike

Fortunately, when FPNs were introduced for pavement cycling in 1999, Home Office Minister Paul Boateng issued guidance saying that: "The introduction of the fixed penalty is not aimed at responsible cyclists who sometimes feel obliged to use the pavement out of fear of traffic and who show consideration to other pavement users when doing so. Chief Police Officers who are responsible for enforcement, acknowledge that many cyclists, particularly children and young people, are afraid to cycle on the road, sensitivity and careful use of police discretion is required".

There is more detail if you follow the link.
Thank you for the link, interesting reading. It also reminded me about joining Cycling UK not least for the insurance.

BazP

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 8, 2017
Sheffield
I believe Local Authorities refer to the roadside walkways as "footways" here, the other side of the pond, it is "sidewalks", these terms clear differentiate them from the "footpath" a right of way.

Whilst unless dedicated as a shared way for pedestrians and cyclist, then cycling is technically illegal, but in practice both tolerated and even encouraged if it is the safer and sensible option.
The biggest risk IMO is not from the police, but from a civil claim should you come to hurt, even a "dozzy" pedestrian. Costs from that could so quickly build up to "live changing" levels.
Exactly, hence my point about joining Cycling UK.

Laser Man

Pedelecer
Jul 1, 2018
Michelmersh SO51
I find Osmand very good. It uses openstreetmaps and has a cycle route overlay. The level of detail is a bit lower than OS maps, but often this helps because the route is clearer.
Don't know if it is available on iPhones as I come from an Android household.