Review Whats the diffrence btween both e-bikes ?

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Not much difference or ? .. Price is a touch cheaper on one over the other bike , what is the best bike for the money ?

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
One was a £2850 bike, the other is a £2150 bike, but to me it is the 8 speed Nexus gear, is IMO a far better engineered gear than the cheaper Nexus 7 speed. Nothing to do with an extra gear, but its better engineering technology.
The more rugged technology of the Nexus 8 being a benefit in the higher loadings faced in E-bikes with crank drives.
Plus, it comes with a 500 Wh rather than a 400 Wh battery, and an integrated battery, not a clamped on battery.
Easy to see why one was so much more expensive, pre the reduction.

Last edited:

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
I'm afraid another difference is that the Centros is sold out at that price.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
One was a £2850 bike, the other is a £2150 bike, but to me it is the 8 speed Nexus gear, is IMO a far better engineered gear than the cheaper Nexus 7 speed. Nothing to do with an extra gear, but its better engineering technology.
The more rugged technology of the Nexus 8 being a benefit in the higher loadings faced in E-bikes with crank drives.
Plus, it comes with a 500 Wh rather than a 400 Wh battery, and an integrated battery, not a clamped on battery.
Easy to see why one was so much more expensive, pre the reduction.
I knew there was some difference being the main thing being price
and thats for the battery capacity plus as u say intergrated
and not a clamped on battery as such .. just looking to see what others
answers would be on this , anyhow all good to know :)

But doubt be any one riding bikes today .

Stubod

Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2020
I was going to buy the Motus, but couldn't find one with crossbar and hub gears so ended up buying the Centros instead as it was on offer for virtually the same price as the Motus.

Actually prefer the looks of the Motus, but so far (only a week and 80 miles!) I am happy with the Centros, (which also has belt drive...).

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Actually prefer the looks of the Motus, but so far (only a week and 80 miles!) I am happy with the Centros, (which also has belt drive...).
That in itself is IMO a very big plus together with being technically kinder to the hub gear, which is also a better quality hub gear. Then there is that higher energy storage battery. So, apart from the aesthetics in your eye's, I feel it looks more like all pluses going for the Centros.

Last edited:
Reactions: budsy

Muddyfox

Pedelecer
Dec 30, 2018
Nottingham
Have to say I am so far impressed with my Alfine Hub gears. Found gear changing much more positive if I momentarily cease pedling whilst I press the gear change button. Automatic change down to my pre selected start off gear upon stopping is another good feature.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I just don't understand as to why the UK do not copy from the dutch style of making bikes more so with gears in the back hub of wheel .. as so far and ive had the bike ive still got now ..and had a good few yrs ..and not once needed maintained at all and so is cheaper in the long run id say.. with the gears inside the back hub of wheel on bikes .

So maybe they make bikes in UK with Derailleurs so as more people go back
to their stores with their bikes needing fixed and so more £s spent out
and more £s made from stores it seems as dos keep someone in their job/s

But no its gearing in back hub of wheel for me always ..

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
I was going to buy the Motus, but couldn't find one with crossbar and hub gears so ended up buying the Centros instead as it was on offer for virtually the same price as the Motus.

Good of woosh doing this for you in a good deal and so well done > Stubod >:D

Last edited:

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
That in itself is IMO a very big plus together with being technically kinder to the hub gear, which is also a better quality hub gear. Then there is that higher energy storage battery. So, apart from the aesthetics in your eye's, I feel it looks more like all pluses going for the Centros.
I can agree on this here ^ well said :)

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Dérailleurs have their place, foremost they are cheap, also they are light, serviceable, offer a wider gear range and can be quite efficient, so in that are a natural choice for both the budget and the more sporting enthusiast user, particularly where the use is in more severe terrain. [Though IMO remain something of an anathema to an engineer.]

Maybe, the UK bike buyer falls into one of those camps more than the Dutch buyer whose needs are more for a mode of transport, a "working" bike?
There the durability of the whole transmission system, its less demands on a wide gear range, and potential cleanliness for its use with normal attire, all play more a role for them than for the UK cyclist?

Me, I am always far more a plodder, gaining zero satisfaction from sprinting or being King of the Mountain, and with "engineer" written right through me like a stick of rock. So the finesse and innate cleanliness of a hub gear, belt drive and a riding stance affording a good view, lead me to favouring a “Dutch” style bike. Then there is the fact no one at all, even myself would want to see me in Lycra or trouser clips.

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
Dérailleurs have their place, foremost they are cheap, also they are light, serviceable, offer a wider gear range and can be quite efficient, so in that are a natural choice for both the budget and the more sporting enthusiast user, particularly where the use is in more severe terrain. [Though IMO remain something of an anathema to an engineer.]

Maybe, the UK bike buyer falls into one of those camps more than the Dutch buyer whose needs are more for a mode of transport, a "working" bike?
There the durability of the whole transmission system, its less demands on a wide gear range, and potential cleanliness for its use with normal attire, all play more a role for them than for the UK cyclist?

Me, I am always far more a plodder, gaining zero satisfaction from sprinting or being King of the Mountain, and with "engineer" written right through me like a stick of rock. So the finesse and innate cleanliness of a hub gear, belt drive and a riding stance affording a good view, lead me to favouring a “Dutch” style bike. Then there is the fact no one at all, even myself would want to see me in Lycra or trouser clips.
Exactly. The traditional British bike from the 60s was a working transport bike for many, with Sturmey Archer hubs that are probably still working today. I guess the Dutch and Danish bikes of the time mostly used Sachs hubs (with the pack pedal brakes that are really sensible but that I hate).

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just don't understand as to why the UK do not copy from the dutch style of making bikes more so with gears in the back hub of wheel ..
I also like hub gears and hub motors, but there's some very good reasons why the Dutch and ourselves differ in this respect.

The Netherlands are almost entirely as flat a pancake, so the relatively narrower gear ranges of hub gears suit. And as others have said the Dutch are predominantly utility cyclists using their bikes as working transport when minimal maintenance is ideal.

In contrast many parts of the UK have demanding very steep hills where the far wider range of derailleur gears is necessary. Also a high proportion of British cyclists have a distinctly sporting attitude to their cycling, riding at often double the speeds of their Dutch counterparts, so efficiency counts then and derailleurs are far more efficient than hub gears.

And the lower power front hub motors one commonly sees on Dutch e-bike makes like Gazelle, Batavus et al are fine for their flat conditions but very poor on our steeper hills. Also the front hub motors on bikes with hub gears can result in tyre grip problems on steeper hills with loose or slippery surfaces.

So it's "horses for courses", I've seen bikes of each others type introduced to the other country and then failing in the market after being ridiculed or ignored.

Last edited: