Wheel builder and/or conversion kit fitter in the South East?

enujev

Just Joined
May 22, 2020
Can anyone recommend someone to build a wheel around a hub motor and/or someone to fit a conversion kit to my bike? I'm near Reading / Basingstoke.

The wheel build is the essential bit, I've just called 6 local bike shops and none of them will touch it! I might DIY the installation but would be happy to pay to have it done tidily - I'm not the neatest at the best of times.

I've ordered a Bafang G370 front motor with a KT controller kit and 7ah bottle battery. I'm looking to achieve something like this:

My bike:

Attachments

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Hopefully you get someone who knows what thyre doing and what equipment you need to purchase for to get this job done on your bike as would save some money
over buying a new e bike for sure ..Im thinking of same thing getting in whats required

some guy who is handy and knows they could fit all together for me
and id also pay for such to be done

just would like help with a motor to get up some hills and im mainly an on road user
with bike also ..

If someone knows anyone in North East who knows all about this " Conversion "
then id be happy to see about getting in the gear needed
and also pay to get my bike made into an e bike also .

All the best to you in hopefully finding someone to do a job on your bike for you .

Darthpaul

Pedelecer
Mar 10, 2020
After suffering a similar situation to yourself I finally found a local bike store that would build one for me. God knows why so many lbs refuse to work on them. With the growing ebike trend they’re surely turning down lots of work? Sorry I can’t be of help with a store name, but if you really struggle Bache Brothers cycles in lye, West Midlands did mine. You may be able to post to them and courier back worst case?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Post or take it to Southend apparently there's a very good electric bike online retailer there.

Reactions: D C

enujev

Just Joined
May 22, 2020
Well if it helps anyone else I found someone local who was very happy to build the hub into a wheel - Bob Bristow in Reading came highly recommended. He tells me he has put hundreds of hub motor wheels together! Very reasonable rate too.

I've ordered a DT swiss 545d rim which looks just the ticket... going to see if we can convert it to a tubeless setup.

budsy

Banned
May 16, 2020
Same here OP no bike shops want to help me with any conversion kit at all

they said id hav to buy a bike there . As I was thinking if I bought a kit to turn my normal bike into an e bike would they fit it all for me and get payed for it but No ..So I just am going to not bother at all with an e bike ..I aint paying for a new bike when on I have is good enough

although would be an aid with a battery fitted for going up some hills .