Wheel motors and punchers, non pneumatic tyres?

MGW

Just Joined
May 30, 2021
I have an e-bike and I can't find a way to disconnect the wheel, had my first puncher, and had to do it with the wheel still connected to frame by the power cable, lucky at home, but had I not been, this would have been a problem.

So considering a green tyre on the rear wheel, i.e. can't get a puncher, have rear suspension, so should be OK, but what does everyone think about non pneumatic tyres?

sjpt

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 8, 2018
Winchester
In the past non pneumatic tyres have significantly increased spoke breakage; probably a bigger issue to fix than a puncture. They also degrade the ride and cornering grip, though claims on the most non pneumatic solid tyres is that is not too big an issue.

Gaadi inner tubes mean you can replace an inner tube with the wheel in place. https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/inner-tubes/gaadi-double-ended-presta-valve-inner-tube-275-650b-x-190-210-inch-5054584/ Also, most punctures you can repair with the wheel in place.

You could try more puncture proof tyres (Marathon Plus). Ride a little worse than with the smoothest tyres, but acceptable for most people.

Some people love Slime; I've found it doesn't stop the punctures and makes a mess that makes the repair very difficult.

There is almost certainly a (very tight) junction on the power cable you can disconnect to remove the wheel. Show us photos.

Raboa

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 12, 2014
Gaddi inner tubes and puncture proof tyres work for me, you can still punctures with this combination, usually through the sidewall.
I carry some adjustable zip ties with me as puncture proof tyres are a pain to get on.
Marathon tyres are the Marmite of the tyre world, you either love them or hate them.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
When I first tried slime I was almost annoyed by it, but once I got used to the fact they needed settling before inflating (IMO) & they are only really designed to help you get home to replace.