Wheels doesn't seem really straight?

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Guys,

I noticed that recently. The rear wheel doesn't seem to be completely straight:
[video=youtube;twYFfFYP2bc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twYFfFYP2bc[/video]

I'm not sure if it's normal or not, do you think it's a spoke problem and what should I do to fix it?

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Probably just needs truing.
If you have a spoke tool you can do it yourself.

My wheels need the occasional tru. But I batter them of curbs all the time.

Straylight

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 31, 2009
I wouldn't use an AJ as the nipples can be pretty soft and easily damaged (yes, I speak from experience). That tool may well have your size, but don't be tempted to try it if it doesn't fit exactly, as it is very easy to round the corners of the nipples, and render the spoke unadjustable. I'd check with your manufacturer for the guage, or take it to a bike shop who'll either be able to sell you the correct tool, or maybe just adjust it for you.

D

Deleted member 4366

Rather than look at the tyre, you should be looking at the rim. You need to hold a pencil against the frame with the point close to the corner of the rim, and then spin the wheel to see how true the rim runs. If the rim is more or less true, it could be that the tyre is not on straight, in which case let the air out and re=position it.

oigoi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2011
I agree with d8veh, I had a bike to repair recently that the owner thought the wheel was out of true but it was in fact a tyre not fitted correctly

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
D8veh, thanks for the pencil idea. I thought I need to buy a specific tool for that but a simple pencil can do it :)

Going to try that very shortly and keep you guys in touch.

Thanks again.

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Just did my pencil test, this stuff is amazing, no need to buy any expensive tool:
[video=youtube;zxOUX_dqhxg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxOUX_dqhxg[/video]

I think my wheel is not straight, I may need to buy a spoke tool:

I found a spoke key from 10G to 15G. Not sure what it mean? I think I'd need something around 3.75mm?

Not sure which one would be ok?

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
**Spoke Gauges are as follows:**
* 12 = 2.60mm (.104” dia)
* 10 = 3.20mm (.124” dia)
* 9 = 3.60mm (.142” dia)
* 8 = 4.00mm (.156” dia)
* 7 = 4.45mm (.171” dia)
* 6 = 4.87mm (.192” dia)
* 5 = 5.15mm (.203” dia)

cwah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 3, 2011
www.whatonlondon.co.uk
Thanks NRG. But mine was written 3.8mm. I'm going to measure again. But if it's not 3.6mm or 4mm I won't be able to arrange the spokes?