When is best to charge battery

Mrs Iffacus

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
Sorry is this has been asked before but I am about to get my bike from cycle to work and will be riding approx 5 miles to work and 5 miles back. There will also be the odd days when I only cycle 2 miles there and 2 miles back.

My question is this - should I top up my battery every night (like I do with my phone) to make sure it's always fully charged or should I let it run down as much as possible and charge it up once a week (ish)

Bike is a FreeGo Folder with the small battery, supposed to last about 25 miles.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
<bad joke mode> When you aren't riding... </bad joke>

What is important with modern lithium is to not leave your battery empty or fully charged for a long time without use. The best is to go to university, http://batteryuniversity.com/ that is. All the sensible answers are there.

Charge every couple of days seems like the best idea in your case.

Mrs Iffacus

Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
<bad joke mode> When you aren't riding... </bad joke>

What is important with modern lithium is to not leave your battery empty or fully charged for a long time without use. The best is to go to university, http://batteryuniversity.com/ that is. All the sensible answers are there.

Charge every couple of days seems like the best idea in your case.
Very interesting website, thanks for the info :)

• Agree
Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Generally charge it when between 50% - 75% or after a long ride. If not using for several months then charge to 75/80% the plug it in for 10 mins every couple of weeks. Batteries are best if used failly constantly so a weekly use or more is good .

FreeGo Electric Bikes

Aug 24, 2015
Southampton
Sorry is this has been asked before but I am about to get my bike from cycle to work and will be riding approx 5 miles to work and 5 miles back. There will also be the odd days when I only cycle 2 miles there and 2 miles back.

My question is this - should I top up my battery every night (like I do with my phone) to make sure it's always fully charged or should I let it run down as much as possible and charge it up once a week (ish)

Bike is a FreeGo Folder with the small battery, supposed to last about 25 miles.
There is no benefit in letting the battery run right down before charging. As long as the bike is being used regularly, it can be topped up regularly as well. Judging by the mileage you are doing, I would agree that every couple of days would be ideal.
A well 'excercised' battery will have the longest life span

Mrs Iffacus

Jun 17, 2016
Donisthorpe
There is no benefit in letting the battery run right down before charging. As long as the bike is being used regularly, it can be topped up regularly as well. Judging by the mileage you are doing, I would agree that every couple of days would be ideal.
A well 'excercised' battery will have the longest life span
Thank you :)