When to give way..

D

Deleted member 22539

You don't need to tell me about it,!

It seems basically, that cyclists are considered an interior vehicle, and we must be an obstacle to be driven around.

These idiots need to be educated, perhaps Drivers need a refresh test as mentioned earlier, 2 things this would do.
Ensure they are competent to drive

Raise funds for the government, it isn't likely they would do this,without incentive.
Stick them on a bike for a month
That’s education

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Has anyone come across another breed of driver? One who goes completely the other way by refusing to pass until they feel the road is wide enough to be ultra safe giving me two or three meters of space. The unfortunate effect this has on the rest of the long queue of following cars is to make them even more impatient, blaming me for the first drivers reticence.

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
You are riding in the wrong country... In Spain the distance defined in the road code is 1.50 m and very widely respected, people will wait until they can pass safely. Yes there are cyclist deaths in Spain, many seem to be concentrated around Madrid (where there is the most trafic?) or other larger cities.

Then you have the Saturday morning groups riding their bikes 3-4 abreast and blocking very long lines of cars on busy road, running red lights, etc... So over there it is pretty much six of one and half a dozen of...

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Kerb hugging invites a driver to pass, often a close pass and not all slow down. Taking up a less defensive road position means the driver has no choice but to go wider to overtake or bide their time and invariably means they are going slower.
At roundabouts and at lights (if turning) I take centre position and dictate when they pass by pulling over a bit more when I'm ready. I indicate, make eye contact & put my hand up as they pass. Lorry drivers/HGV are usually pretty good given thank you thumbs up a horn blast or hazards are received back in acknowledgement.

As in the video it is white van man, delivery driver man, builder man and taxi's I find among the biggest arseholes on the road as well as twat's in suv/4x4 tractors that they call cars.

Ducknald Don

Pedelecer
Sep 2, 2017
Oxfordshire
Often it's the second or third car to pass that ends up squeezing past.

Having said all that I think it's actually quite a lot better than twenty years ago when there were relatively few cyclists on the road. I remember getting quite a lot of active abuse whilst now it's all rather passive and absent minded.

• Agree

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Often it's the second or third car to pass that ends up squeezing past.

Having said all that I think it's actually quite a lot better than twenty years ago when there were relatively few cyclists on the road. I remember getting quite a lot of active abuse whilst now it's all rather passive and absent minded.
perhaps it would help if we started paying road tax. [emoji867][emoji867][emoji867]

garywfox

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 28, 2017
Nottingham
Just bear in mind that the rear facing camera gives a view that wasn't available to me at the time.
My previous ebike was written off by a driver who hit the rear of my bike. I had considered a rear view camera like yours. Seeing what is actually happening behind me (like this incident) is what stopped me fitting one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
The intersting thing about recording your rides is that sometimes the actual film is slightly different to how you remember it and what appears to be a driver at fault incident is not always so cut and dried.

• Agree

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The intersting thing about recording your rides is that sometimes the actual film is slightly different to how you remember it and what appears to be a driver at fault incident is not always so cut and dried.
Yes, we've seen a few posted videos in here that showed the complaining cyclist posting was far from innocent.

grldtnr

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
south east Essex
Here's a thought.
The bin men have just been and they all have high vis vests with safety cameras blazened across the back in big letters.
Would wearing such a thing help us?
No, I don't think so.
It seems to me that the bin men are tolerated because we need the bins collected.

Cyclist, arent ,is this because we are able to get through traffic, and perceived to be using roads for free?

It beggers belief that motorist do not share empathy that cyclist have to physically balance and drive a bike forward, where as the motorist ,cocooned in thier padded safety cell only have to push a few levers with minimal effort to maitain momentum, then just sit there when they stop.

The answer perhaps is that we all must ride bicycles ,to understand what we do,as cyclist.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, I don't think so.
It seems to me that the bin men are tolerated because we need the bins collected.
Cyclist, arent ,is this because we are able to get through traffic, and perceived to be using roads for free?
I don't think either. I think it's simply because we are too slow and obstruct them. Drivers get just as mad with electric milk floats, slow moving farm and construction vehicles, buses with frequent stops on narrow roads, military convoys etc. However they can't bully them or force past in the same way as they can with bicycles, but would if they could.

• Agree
Reactions: E-Wheels

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I saw a horse rider with POLITE on a yellow vest which made me think it was a police officer so was just wondering if I had a vest informing traffic that I was recording it would work similar to CCTV notices by making them think..

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I saw a horse rider with POLITE on a yellow vest which made me think it was a police officer so was just wondering if I had a vest informing traffic that I was recording it would work similar to CCTV notices by making them think..
Perhaps, until you meet the psycho who deliberately knocks you off in anger at your notice, then steals the camera after giving you a kicking as you lie on the ground.

Such things happen and there are such people, anything that can provoke is unwise.