Where to buy 48v battery

Matthew Hutchinson

Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2018
Leeds
I'm looking for a new 48v battery at least 17ah to run a Q128 , can anyone recommend, Im wanting something quality rather than the Chinese ones

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Are ebikebatteries worth the extra cost in your opinion
yes, without a doubt. You should consider to pay for top brand, A-batch cells. You also need a supplier with adequate product liability insurance in case the battery catches fire. When you buy a battery from abroad, you are the importer. In law, you are responsible for product liability and that includes damage to property and personal injury. We all shop on the net but not many are aware of the implications when buying from abroad. It's not like buying a Bosch battery where you have Bosch representative in the UK.
E-bike batteries are inherently dangerous. Statistically, maybe one in a million will catch fire. If you buy your battery from an internet seller, you need to be sure that in case your battery injures someone, your supplier is addequately insured so that you can claim back your legal costs. A lot of vendors only have minimal public liability insurance which does not cover liability for products that the business source from abroad. If an incident happens, they just change the name and leave you face the consequences on your own.

Last edited:
Reactions: Matthew Hutchinson

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
my finances mean I could afford either the 20ah greenlance or the 13ah ebikes is there going to be a huge difference in range between the two
there is. a 20AH battery gives better range and better performance.
Think first how far you want to go, then budget for it. If your commute is 20 miles a day, you'll need a minimum of 250WH. For a 48V system, that is 5AH. Anything bigger than 5AH will work. However, you'll should buy at least double, 48V 10AH to avoid range anxiety.

Reactions: Matthew Hutchinson

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
my finances mean I could afford either the 20ah greenlance or the 13ah ebikes is there going to be a huge difference in range between the two
The difference is that 20Ah will go 54% further, give slightly higher power and last slightly longer, all other things being equal. Greenlance use Samsung 21700 cells. Check which ones the 13Ah one uses.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Reputable source, but quite expensive and no warranty.
{Edit: Warranty has been clarified by Woosh in few posts below:
https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/where-to-buy-48v-battery.46845/post-706715}

I also keep looking at PSW, but unfortunately they don't have any stock in UK for last few months. It looks like they are withdrawing from UK and focusing on operations in EU and China. Their descriptions seem to be genuine to me

I am not convinced by Greenlance at all.

Last edited:

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
everything we sell is covered by limited warranty covering normal use for at least one year. On top of that, we honour your statutory rights to have any manufacturing defects rectified at no cost for up to 6 years.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
everything we sell is covered by limited warranty covering normal use for at least one year. On top of that, we honour your statutory rights to have any manufacturing defects rectified at no cost for up to 6 years.
"If we sell you a battery it is on condition that we also sell you a charger (£29) and without guarantee. "

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
"If we sell you a battery it is on condition that we also sell you a charger (£29) and without guarantee. "
there are exclusions when you use the battery with your own charger.
Even then, there is an implied guarantee of merchatability and fitness for purpose that we automatically recognise. For example: damage in transit, missing fuse, wrong screws etc.
I am thankful for all suggestions of better wording.
Our general policy is to supply batteries preferably for our kits and bikes but we do supply professionals and shops with parts.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford

I also keep looking at PSW, but unfortunately they don't have any stock in UK for last few months. It looks like they are withdrawing from UK and focusing on operations in EU and China. Their descriptions seem to be genuine to me

I am not convinced by Greenlance at all.
Why? Do you have any experience of them?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
there are exclusions when you use the battery with your own charger.
Even then, there is an implied guarantee of merchatability and fitness for purpose that we automatically recognise. For example: damage in transit, missing fuse, wrong screws etc.
I am thankful for all suggestions of better wording.
Our general policy is to supply batteries preferably for our kits and bikes but we do supply professionals and shops with parts.
Please forgive me, but I am finding it very confusing. You sell a battery with a charger... which is not covered by warranty? Battery? Charger? Or both?

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Why? Do you have any experience of them?
There are many red flags and alarm bells ringing. Small company, probably only two guys, so they don't have benefit of a scale behind them. On the market for a short time - they don't have reputation to defend yet. No address on their web page, business registered in residential area etc.
Your recommendation means a lot to me and I have their battery shortlisted for possible purchase, but I have my doubts. Biggest one - if what they say about batteries and cells is true.

Woosh

Trade Member
May 19, 2012
Southend on Sea
wooshbikes.co.uk
Please forgive me, but I am finding it very confusing. You sell a battery with a charger... which is not covered by warranty? Battery? Charger? Or both?
I am sorry, I don't explain well. If you want to buy a battery on its own from us, say for your TSDZ8. We'll ask for details of your kit and whether you have already a charger from us. If it's for a kit that was purchased from us, then the normal guarantee applies. If it's for a kit bought somewhere else but we already know about, then we suggest you get a charger from us. The reason is simple: we only sell SANS 2A chargers which are about the safest chargers for e-bike batteries. When you buy the charger with your battery, normal warranty applies. If you want to use it with something we don't know of or do know but not know much about, we'll tell you that's it's risky, we can only sell you the battery without warranty. That is why we exchange a few emails before we sell anything, so everyone is on the same page.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
There are many red flags and alarm bells ringing. Small company, probably only two guys, so they don't have benefit of a scale behind them. On the market for a short time - they don't have reputation to defend yet. No address on their web page, business registered in residential area etc.
Your recommendation means a lot to me and I have their battery shortlisted for possible purchase, but I have my doubts. Biggest one - if what they say about batteries and cells is true.
I have some experience to share. I made a mistake when I ordered my first battery from them, so when it arrived, it wasn't what I expected. I called them to sort it out. They quickly identified the problem with my order and offered to exchange the battery for the one I wanted. I asked about some other things, and they were extremely helpful and patient. I could tell that they were responsible sellers, so I had no reservations about ordering a second one from them.

The first battery was ordered on a Friday and arrived on the Monday. the second was delivered in less than 24 hrs from the order.

Subsequently, they rang me up and made me some offers of free stuff because I mentioned them on the forum. I declined that stuff because I wouldn't want it to influence anything I say about them on the forum. I told them that as long as they give us good service, I will continue to recommend them. I do the same for any seller, and over the years, I've been offered lots of stuff, which I always decline, though I have had some good discounts on stuff that I've brought from sellers that I count as my friends, though I always feel a little uncomfortable with that.

The only free thing I ever accepted was a fleece jacket from the forum admin with the Pedelecs logo on it. I love that jacket. I guess I deserve it after making around 50,000 posts on this forum, which has probably taken around 5,000 hrs to write. It's a shame they don't sell those jackets because they're really nice - warm when you need it, but not too hot for cycling.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
When you buy the charger with your battery, normal warranty applies.
That is not what is written on your page . Thank you for clarification. I am going to amend my initial post.

Perhaps you are trying to fight battles you can't win and overcomplicate things. How will you determine what charger or what motor was used with your battery?

Reactions: Woosh

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
I have some experience to share...
That actually is quite helpful.
...but my concerns of what is inside still remain. Maybe it is just my paranoid nature.

The only free thing I ever accepted was a fleece jacket from the forum admin with the Pedelecs logo on it. I love that jacket. I guess I deserve it after making around 50,000 posts on this forum, which has probably taken around 5,000 hrs to write. It's a shame they don't sell those jackets because they're really nice - warm when you need it, but not too hot for cycling.
I really appreciate how much you do for our community. I am positive others feel the same.

• Agree
Reactions: AntonyC