Which bike for a fabulous fatty?

Motherdragon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2017
Hampshire, UK
Hiya,

I'm pondering the purchase of my first electric bike.

I am, shall we say, well built, at 126kg and the reason I want a bike is to become more active. I have degenerative disc disease in my back and arthritic hips but want to get out and about with my hubby who cycles a regular bike. The area we live is quite hilly, the odd steep hill and a fair few long, low inclines.

The style of bike I love is the classic vintage or Dutch style. The ones I've currently got my eye on are the Juicy Classic Click and the Roodog Polka but also like the looks of the Kudos Verona. I've also seen the Viking Mayfair electric which has the looks but I can't find any reviews.

My budget is around £1000 (though the hubby would say less!!

I'd really appreciate it someone could offer advice?

Have attached a pic to show I carry my weight fairly well!!

Attachments

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Last edited:

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
For Woosh contact/speak to Hatti the proprietor
For Wisper contact Davd Miall M.D.

D

Deleted member 4366

The bikes you suggested probably won't have enough power to get you up the hills. The Woosh Big Bear LS would be much better. Other ones are the Juicy Roller and the Wisper Torque, or if you can find one, any of the Ezee bikes. The Kudos Safari I tried had good torque for hills too, and it's dead cheap.

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Daenerys!

Thanks for the recommendations chaps.

I think the 806se would really fit the bill. It's a little more than your budget at £1,099 but is very reliable and has a very rigid frame, helped by the oversize down tube. The frame has a 10 year warranty and is built for everyone up to 21stone riders.

It's available locally in three colours.

705se Black 1.jpg 705se Blue 1.jpg 705se Red 1jpg.jpg
All the best, David

Motherdragon

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 12, 2017
Hampshire, UK
Thanks for the replies guys.

So, I've so far nipped to the local Halfords and tried my first electric bike, a Carrera Crossfire which I thought was fabulous but rather ugly.

I whizzed up a huge hill with no effort at all and loved every minute. It seemed to have no trouble with my weight. Hubby really liked it too as it has hydraulic disc brakes, etc. It didn't make my heart go pitter patter in the looks dept. though.

Today I nipped to a local family run shop, they stock Juicy Bikes - I really like the Classic. They only had the Compact Click but as it's the same motor the lovely chap insisted we nip out for a test ride.

Now this one only has 3 power assist levels compared to 5 on the Carrera so I thought it would feel inferior but it actual fact it was nippier!! I whizzed up a pretty steep hill with a big grin while the shop owner puffed away on his Muggle bike!!

This little shopper had only tiny wheels and V brakes but felt really nice and well up to my weight. The shop owner said he couldn't believe I hadn't cycled in years as I was so comfy on it.

He said he wouldn't buy a Carrera regular bike as they can be troublesome.

I'm very tempted with the Juicy Classic now, the ride should be even nicer than the little shopper I test rode due to the bigger wheels and disc brakes.

Leigh, your addition to my photo might have been more amusing had I not lost the horse in that pic, my beautiful Suffolk Punch X, last year..... Too soon old chap, but you weren't to know ;0p

LeighPing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
The Red Ditch
Leigh, your addition to my photo might have been more amusing had I not lost the horse in that pic, my beautiful Suffolk Punch X, last year..... Too soon old chap, but you weren't to know ;0p
Ouch, I'm sorry to hear about that. I do love animals. :oops:

I test rode a Carrera too. But, as you will read here, they keep cutting out. o_O

As for your new mount.. Good luck and keep us posted please. :)

Reactions: mountainsport

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
Hiya,

I'm pondering the purchase of my first electric bike.

I am, shall we say, well built, at 126kg and the reason I want a bike is to become more active. I have degenerative disc disease in my back and arthritic hips but want to get out and about with my hubby who cycles a regular bike. The area we live is quite hilly, the odd steep hill and a fair few long, low inclines.

The style of bike I love is the classic vintage or Dutch style. The ones I've currently got my eye on are the Juicy Classic Click and the Roodog Polka but also like the looks of the Kudos Verona. I've also seen the Viking Mayfair electric which has the looks but I can't find any reviews.

My budget is around £1000 (though the hubby would say less!!

I'd really appreciate it someone could offer advice?

Have attached a pic to show I carry my weight fairly well!!
Welcome BEAUTIFUL!! ;) You are naturally beautiful in every way okay!

MS.