Which schwables

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
Thinking about swooping the stock wisper tyres for some schwables with better puncture protection

Mainly riding on cycle path with short section of towpath

Marathon tours or just marathon plus

Or neither of these

What are you guys and girls using and rate your experiences with them please

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
Hi Malcolm, the tyres we provide have excellent puncture protection. We never have any complaints. They have a good Kevlar protection layer and are built to take the extra weight of an electric bike.

Marathon plus are of course good but I wouldn't be inclined to change the tyres supplied simply for better puncture protection.

All the best, David

• Informative
Reactions: Fordulike

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi Malcolm, the tyres we provide have excellent puncture protection.
I think your tyres may be Kenda, and if so, I can endorse what you say.

I bought two e-bikes with Kenda tyres and used them for 18 months without any punctures, but then changed to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which during their life suffered just one puncture.

Throughout that time my ersatz trailer tyres and Maxxis tyres on a third bike suffered many more punctures than I care to remember.

So in my experience the Kendas were easily up to the Schwalbe performance and both well ahead of others I was using at the time.

D

Deleted member 4366

Grip from Marathon Plus is pretty crappy, because the rubber is hard as nails. On the plus side, they're more or less 100% puncture proof and they last forever, so you'll never need to but another pair. Energizer Plus seem to be the same.

They remind me of those Pneumant tyres that they used to fit to the MZ TS250 motorbike. You never needed to replace them either - even if you did a world tour.

Malcolm Stephenson

Pedelecer
Apr 12, 2016
Had my first puncture the other day prior to it going in for its first check up

In my error I wasn't aware on how to get the back wheel off and didn't have a repair kit with me anyway

When it went in they seemed surprised that I had a puncture and he could see some wetting in the tread where the slime that was added had come out

When I collected it Liam said not to worry the inner tube had a fold in it possibly and that's what caused the puncture

In the end they didn't charge me which I thought was a nice touch

But it got me thinking about things

That I really need to read on how the wheel comes off and I should carry a kit with me at all times plus tools to get the wheels off its just space being limited in my panniers plus not even sure I can get the bike upside down without it resting on the LCD screen

I do like the stock wisper tyres and was curious to other people's feedback in tyres

Schwables seem high on everyone's list

Reactions: Wisper Bikes

Wisper Bikes

Trade Member
Apr 11, 2007
Sevenoaks Kent
I think your tyres may be Kenda, and if so, I can endorse what you say.

I bought two e-bikes with Kenda tyres and used them for 18 months without any punctures, but then changed to Schwalbe Marathon Plus, which during their life suffered just one puncture.

Throughout that time my ersatz trailer tyres and Maxxis tyres on a third bike suffered many more punctures than I care to remember.

So in my experience the Kendas were easily up to the Schwalbe performance and both well ahead of others I was using at the time.
Thanks Flecc,

Yes they are Kenda with K shield puncture protection, we have never had any issues with them.

Kind regards, David

D

Deleted member 4366

You don't normally need to take the wheel off to fix a puncture.

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
Schwalbe Land Cruisers are my tyre of choice. Not as puncture resistant as the Marathon + tyres, I'll grant you, but I've done 2000+ miles on mine over tarmac and bridleways and not had to fix a puncture yet. They have a central raised tread that rolls very nicely, yet have adequate side knobblies for the rougher stuff. Cheap too.

Reactions: phil01

asc99c

Pedelecer
May 1, 2015
I've got land cruisers also, but can't really attest to their being puncture proof. I've had two punctures in 1000 miles on my set. The marathons definitely sound tougher.

I'm thinking of trying a tubeless setup when I've worn out the land cruisers enough (Yorkshireman, can't chuck a decent tyre [emoji23]), probably marathon almotions. Meant to be even better puncture resistance since you can't get a pinch puncture, and one of mine was a pinch. The other was a complete blowout of the inner tube when a piece of glass got through.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk